The Student Room Group

which a-level is better for primary teaching, english language or literature?

Hi, i'm currently taking my GCSE's and want to become a teacher in the future. i'm not sure whether i want to be a primary teacher or an english secondary teacher, but i'm leaning more towards primary teaching at the moment. which a-level is more useful for becoming a primary teacher, english language or english literature? any advice or opinions? many thanks :smile:
Original post by kiesha07
Hi, i'm currently taking my GCSE's and want to become a teacher in the future. i'm not sure whether i want to be a primary teacher or an english secondary teacher, but i'm leaning more towards primary teaching at the moment. which a-level is more useful for becoming a primary teacher, english language or english literature? any advice or opinions? many thanks :smile:

I applied to uni to do primary teaching. I didnt go in the end- i did a course at college instead because i wasnt 100% sure if i wanted to go to uni.
To be honest, they dont really mind which one you do. But english is a good subject to do though. I found (with the unis i applied for anyway) that as long as you have a broad range of a-levels, you will be fine. I did grography, sociology, ICT, and general studies (which was compulsory). I also attempted AS maths, but failed miserably.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
I applied to uni to do primary teaching. I didnt go in the end- i did a course at college instead because i wasnt 100% sure if i wanted to go to uni.
To be honest, they dont really mind which one you do. But english is a good subject to do though. I found (with the unis i applied for anyway) that as long as you have a broad range of a-levels, you will be fine. I did grography, sociology, ICT, and general studies (which was compulsory). I also attempted AS maths, but failed miserably.

aw well i'm sorry to hear that you didn't go to uni in the end, but thank you so much for such a useful answer!
Reply 3
In terms of actually getting into uni they should both be fine as they both count as a national curriculum subject (which you need to study at least one of at a level for primary teaching).
However you might find that the English language course is more beneficial in terms of the actual information learnt because I know that a lot of the English language a level courses focus on language acquisition, development of communication skills etc which could be highly relevant to teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest