The Student Room Group

Are there any mature vet students out there?

I'm hoping to study veterinary medicine in a couple of years when I've done my A Levels.
Are there any mature vet students out there who can tell me what it's like being an 'old' vet student. What's the course like where you are and what is life generally like as a mature vet student?
Reply 1
I'll be studying at the RVC in the fall. I too would love to know if there are any others out there.
Reply 2
Hellooo.....?

There must be someone out there at vet school who is a *mature* student?

Come on guys!
Reply 3
Have you tried the vet forum? There are definitely a few around...
Reply 4
I'm not a vet student yet but am a mature student wanting to get into vet med like you, pm me if you'd like to chat anytime
Reply 5
hello everyone, I'm going to be a mature vet student. I have to take my A-levels this year which is going to be a bit tricky as I work full-time, have 2 horses, 3 dogs a cat and a myriad of other responsibilities. Add to which I don't live in the UK so I've had to badger the international school to get them to allow me to use their chem labs for practicals and I'm still waiting to hear if it's a yay or a nay.

Providing my exams go well next summer then I'll put in my formal application and will have to sell my house here, my car, get the animals & furniture back to the UK, find somewhere to live - aaaaaargh - what a slog - but it'll be worth it I'm sure! :biggrin:
Reply 6
WOW!!! Are you planning to do A levels in one year? How many of them?

And wouldn't it be easier to do vet degree in Belgium?

I am trully impressed with all the determination!
Reply 7
Well I did A's in Chem, Biol & Maths back in 1992 so I do have a science background and I also did a year of biol at uni so it's not all new to me, plus I've taken a look at the current A-level standards and I'm not scared! :wink:

Yes I'm planning to do the three in a year.

To go to vet school here in Belgium I'd have to get my Flemish up to an extremely high level and tbh I don't think it's ever going to be good enough to do a degree like this in.
Reply 8
Oh, I did not realise you are British. Sounds like you have it all under the control :wink: It's great they allow you to carry on with the A2 level since 1992.

So, allow me to guess your age, are you 30-31 :smile:
Reply 9
I'm 32, we didn't have A2 back in 1992. I did straight A-levels, but I've been asked to get my sciences up to date so have to do them again.
Reply 10
Well done, I wish you all the best!
Reply 11
I'm not a Mature Student but I am (was) a Vet Student. I have just quit Veterinary after 3 years to pursue another area (History)... you'd think after 3 years I would just stick it out in Vet Med:redface:

I studied in UCD (Dublin) and, having mates in a few of the UK colleges, one thing everyone agrees on is that Veterinary is an extremely tough course. In my experience, mature students and graduates tend to do far better in exams than undergraduates. Obviously there are exceptions to this, I'm speaking in general terms. Mature students tend to be far more focused, and really appreciate the coursework, whereas your average undergraduate is more interested in drinking and getting laid:p:

In first year the oldest person in my year was a 34 year old American woman, and the youngest (like me) were 17! There is a huge variety, and you can be sure that you will not be alone! Well done on having the courage to go back and face into exams again, and Good Luck!
Reply 12
Why did you give up vet med???
Reply 13
It was just the wrong career for me personally. I decided to cut my losses and get an education in something I enjoyed. I need to get satisfaction out of my course, I suppose I just wasn't able to sustain my motivation for Veterinary into the next few years.

That would be the exception though. Most people, all of whom work hard to get in, enjoy their course and are very suited to it. :smile:
Reply 14
Evenstar
Hellooo.....?

There must be someone out there at vet school who is a *mature* student?

Come on guys!

Hi,
I'm starting at Bristol in October 2007 and I'm an old fossil of 33 going on 18.
"Mutton dressed as lamb" ha ha apt for a vet student. Please write as I want to know I'm not alone too.
Reply 15
Suzannah_b
hello everyone, I'm going to be a mature vet student. I have to take my A-levels this year which is going to be a bit tricky as I work full-time, have 2 horses, 3 dogs a cat and a myriad of other responsibilities. Add to which I don't live in the UK so I've had to badger the international school to get them to allow me to use their chem labs for practicals and I'm still waiting to hear if it's a yay or a nay.

Providing my exams go well next summer then I'll put in my formal application and will have to sell my house here, my car, get the animals & furniture back to the UK, find somewhere to live - aaaaaargh - what a slog - but it'll be worth it I'm sure! :biggrin:

Oh forgot to say. I'm selling my house too and I'm in the US so also got to move back with pets etc. You are not alone!
Reply 16
Hello everyone, I just stumbled on this thread and thought id say hello! I notice this thread is quite old so might not be noticed but thought it was worth a try!

I'm a mature student (25) who has been pestering the vet schools for years, and seem to always just missed out on a place. This year i'm trying a different tactic and sitting A levels in History and Philosophy, as these should give me access to the 6 yr course on offer at Nottingham Uni (fingers crossed). My application is ready and waiting to be sent, which I should be able to do in the next few weeks.

Anyway would be great to chat with any people in a similar situation.
Original post by Miaoow
Hi,
I'm starting at Bristol in October 2007 and I'm an old fossil of 33 going on 18.
"Mutton dressed as lamb" ha ha apt for a vet student. Please write as I want to know I'm not alone too.

hey i know you posted the above a few years ago but was wonder how your course in bristol went

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending