The Student Room Group

Racism towards romanians in universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by de_monies
Ah fair enough. Funny how I've rarely been asked to swear (not Intl but then again my Punjabi is pretty bad :tongue: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been asked loads of times! But my punjabi is pretty bad as well. I don't usually speak it and when I do, I mix a lot of English in.
Original post by SaFa1237
I've been asked loads of times! But my punjabi is pretty bad as well. I don't usually speak it and when I do, I mix a lot of English in.

Lol. Lots of people do that :tongue: Sorry, OP. Shouldn't go off topic here :tongue:
Reply 62
Original post by Gabriela8
I recently started researching in depth the problem of british discrimination towards romanians and bulgarians, including reading posts on TSR. I noticed that people's opinions are much more mean and purely racist than I ever expected, a lot of them not knowing the difference between gypsies and Romanians or, even worse, generalising based on some examples of Romanians who've moved to the UK to pickpocket or benefit off the well maped British system. As a Romanian highshool student planning to go to uni in England starting 2014, it's really worrying for me, since I fear I will be left out or viewed badly just because of the bad reputation Romanians have. I am very sociable and a nice person and proud of my nationality. Will I encounter such problems? Are British aged 18-23 more accepting and do they welcome people of other nationalities? Thanks! :smile:

P.S. I mentioned British aged 18-23 because that's the predominant age in unis, but I'm also interested in older people's opinion and views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact remains that Romania and Bulgaria are backward and corrupt countries that have failed to take care of their social problems and are exporting their social problems to more civilized countries. Your people do not even have basic sanitation or electricity and live in slum shacks.

slum1.jpg
Reply 63
Original post by A.K85
The fact remains that Romania and Bulgaria are backward and corrupt countries that have failed to take care of their social problems and are exporting their social problems to more civilized countries. Your people do not even have basic sanitation or electricity and live in slum shacks.

slum1.jpg

Yes, we all live in slums, you're righ, I've never seen a living block. The last shower I took was a month ago I think, I don't even remember and I washed myself with a mix of sap and prysanthemum. We don't have electricity and of course, no internet. I have to go up a 1000 m tall mountain to pick up any wifi. I go to school very rarely, because my parents send me in the field with the sheeps. This is my answer to your last sentence, which is absolutely absurd.

Now, the rest of it.. I will talk for my country, because I don't know how it is like in Bulgaria. Maybe a Bulgarian can also answer to this.

Romania is a corrupt country, I agree with that, but so are many other countries, including UK. I also agree that we have failed to take care of our social problems, but we are not exporting them. It's not like we put criminals on a plane and send them off to Spain, UK or Italy.
Maybe Romania is backwards to some extent, but that's what half a century of communism tends to do to a country. You were an effing empire, no wonder you're so advanced. And btw, the British were the ones who sold us to the soviets :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by A.K85

slum1.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the photo you attached illustrates Roma people, not Romanians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the photo you attached illustrates Roma people, not Romanians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

whatever
Reply 66
Yes, we all live in slums, you're righ, I've never seen a living block. The last shower I took was a month ago I think, I don't even remember and I washed myself with a mix of sap and prysanthemum. We don't have electricity and of course, no internet. I have to go up a 1000 m tall mountain to pick up any wifi. I go to school very rarely, because my parents send me in the field with the sheeps. This is my answer to your last sentence, which is absolutely absurd.

Now, the rest of it.. I will talk for my country, because I don't know how it is like in Bulgaria. Maybe a Bulgarian can also answer to this.

Romania is a corrupt country, I agree with that, but so are many other countries, including UK. I also agree that we have failed to take care of our social problems, but we are not exporting them. It's not like we put criminals on a plane and send them off to Spain, UK or Italy.
Maybe Romania is backwards to some extent, but that's what half a century of communism tends to do to a country. You were an effing empire, no wonder you're so advanced. And btw, the British were the ones who sold us to the soviets :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course we sold you to the soviets, you were supporting the Nazis during the war weren't you? You're not West European are you? Your oil supply was nearly dry by the end of the war wasn't it?

In any case a big mistake to let in backward countries like Romania into the EU.
Reply 67
Original post by A.K85
Of course we sold you to the soviets, you were supporting the Nazis during the war weren't you? You're not West European are you? Your oil supply was nearly dry by the end of the war wasn't it?

In any case a big mistake to let in backward countries like Romania into the EU.

I am not going to continue debating this, since it's clear you're exactly the type of person that I was referring to when I posted this. And the "whatever" earlier depicts exactly that you have no idea what the difference between Roma people and Romanians is, which disqualifies your opinion. Thank you for your answer!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
I think society with change drastically next year, I don't mind the skilled people or those in education (unless using just to get in the country) coming other. It's the unskilled, none English speakers I have a problem with. Oh it's eastern Europe in general not just Romanians. I do think though that people see them all as the same, as tht is all they are being shown as in the media.

I think their countries need to look at themselves if everyone wants to leave so much and we definitely need to sort our own country out.

OK back to uni's I see no problem in people from other countries studying in here at least they want to better themselves.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
I am not going to continue debating this, since it's clear you're exactly the type of person that I was referring to when I posted this. And the "whatever" earlier depicts exactly that you have no idea what the difference between Roma people and Romanians is, which disqualifies your opinion. Thank you for your answer!

lots think Roma is short of Romanian.
Reply 70
Original post by Chriswhjay
You'll be fine. I've met people from Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Syria, Holland, Sweden and almost every other country you can think of. If you're coming to study in the UK chances are instead of being met with racism you'll be met with,
"Where are you from?"
"Romania"
"OMG THATS SO COOL! SAY SOMETHING IN ROMANIAN!!"

I haven't seen any form of racism in the students here. Theres a difference in the UK, the fact we don't want open door immigration which is coming in Jan 2014 can be misrepresented as racist. Its impossible to deny the implications that have come from open border of Poland, Britain (along with) sweden being the only country to allow it back in 05, and people are concerned about the amount of people who will come here in 2014 for fear of whats happening in paris with the pickpockets etcetcetc

In short, you'll be fine.

Sadly, the usual liberal cohort will be moaning about immigrant rights even when all resources have been exhausted.
Reply 71
Original post by dg2009
lots think Roma is short of Romanian.

I can't even

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Have a look at this OP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

As a generalisation, it seems the West and Pakistan (which tbf was a British colony,and is not riddled with the caste issues that India has perhaps) are pretty tolerant of other races

First, how "racist" a country is can not be gotten out of a single map. Especially THIS map.
Second, Romanians and Bulgarians aren't considered to be a different "race" so I fail to see how it is even relevant.

Most of the hateful and ignorant comments against Bulgarians and Romanians are xenophobic, not racist. Which doesn't make them less awful ofc. Calling someone a racist rather than a xenophobe is a much more effective charge since racism holds a powerful sway in people's minds (whereas xenophobia, for reasons unknown to me, doesn't - even though it's an equally wicked mindset as far as I am concerned).
Reply 73
Original post by Cornelius
First, how "racist" a country is can not be gotten out of a single map. Especially THIS map.
Second, Romanians and Bulgarians aren't considered to be a different "race" so I fail to see how it is even relevant.

Most of the hateful and ignorant comments against Bulgarians and Romanians are xenophobic, not racist. Which doesn't make them less awful ofc. Calling someone a racist rather than a xenophobe is a much more effective charge since racism holds a powerful sway in people's minds (whereas xenophobia, for reasons unknown to me, doesn't - even though it's an equally wicked mindset as far as I am concerned).

I did say in a post before that I mixed up the words and I meant to say xenophobia, not racism. I didn't do it intentionally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
I did say in a post before that I mixed up the words and I meant to say xenophobia, not racism. I didn't do it intentionally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say you did, I was just trying to be more precise. Nothing personal.
I have a Romanian kid in my class and I have never ever seen any one at all say any kind of negative comment to him regarding he's nationality. You will be fine I can 100% garauntee it.
Original post by wildrover
People don#t dislike Romanian and Bulgarians, we just want open door immigration with them. Britain is one of the least racist countries in the world, particularly among students so you should be fine.

Not disputing this at all. Just wondering where the evidence is supporting this claim. Any data?
(edited 10 years ago)
Gabriela, i am Romanian myself, I've been living in the UK for a few years now and last year i started uni. My point of view about this issue is that everything is a load of bull****, as a Romanian i never felt discriminated or treated differently in the UK, in society, employment or uni. The less you read the Romanian papers, and/or Daily Mail/Daily Express, the better you are...they instigate the British and Romanians(both who can't think for themselves) against each other by twisting the truth. the fact is that Britain is one the least racist/xenophobic countries in Europe(as long as you don't read the Daily Mail or Daily Express). I cringe when i see how much importance is given to this issue among Romanians, and how easy they are building a point of view about it, especially the ones that have never experienced how Britain actually is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78
Have a look at this OP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

As a generalisation, it seems the West and Pakistan (which tbf was a British colony,and is not riddled with the caste issues that India has perhaps) are pretty tolerant of other races

I think Pakistan has worser issues. Such as being able to walk around in Karachi without stepping on a dead body or getting mugged.

I think little cheap shots are worthless when Pakistan has not reached India's level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
I think Pakistan has worser issues. Such as being able to walk around in Karachi without stepping on a dead body or getting mugged.

I think little cheap shots are worthless when Pakistan has not reached India's level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What on Earth? How am I making "cheap shots" at India? One reason I mentioned why India might be less tolerant than Pakistan is because of the caste system

Im pretty aware of the Karachi situation atm... Trust me, I don't go around making "cheap shots" I criticise a LOT of countries, including Pakistan and India

Before you try and make assumptions about me, I was actually a) very surprised that Pakistan's tolerance was on the levels of the UK (ish) and then I remembered that they were a British colony tbf, and then I wondered why India wasn't as tolerant and then I thought that it could have quite a lot to do with the caste system that is still unofficially in place, unless you have another reason for me?

And what's "India's level" So Pakistan is more tolerant than India. So what? Are you that nationalistic, that you get annoyed that a neighbour happens to be more tolerant?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending