The Student Room Group

Afghanistan to reintroduce stoning for adultery- proof the War failed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-Mudaari
There's nothing wrong with stoning, or the fact that adultery is a punishable crime.

Although I don't agree with execution full stop, there is something wrong with using a method which is intended to, or causes by result, unnecessary pain and suffering. It is a barbaric, drawn-out method of execution.
Original post by shashy
I must commend your lack of ad hominem/ranting, as usually happens on these sorts of forums, and i myself am guilty of.
well the reasoning is, they have wronged so badly that they forfeit their lives as punishment, and in the hopes potential criminals will see this and be deterred, much like any other punishment the UK gives out

But what part of adultery warrants death though? I mean, I understand the harm that can come from it. I just think (and again only my opinion) that the punishment of death is disproportionate to the 'crime'. If it had to be punished in a criminal sense, then couldn't their be a more humane method of punishment?
Original post by Guru Jason
I understand what your saying. I personally don't believe in the capital punishment in any country, Muslim or western (e.g. America). I just wish I could understand their reason for adultery to be bad enough to warrant death.

(I know I am judging others by my personal standards, but everyone survives my way :tongue:)

I've got mixed feelings on the death penalty. However its just the set of values and standards that is common in the muslin world.

Consider something that you would find the death penalty acceptable for and then just transfer that sense of conviction over to something else.

Afghanistan is a very rural country, and in many ways the people their like to live their lives a certain way. The religious council in Afghanistan is called the Ulema Council, they don't hold massively different views to the rule of religious law form the Taliban in some respects.

Things will change in Afghanistan to stop these things, but it'll take a generation or two.
Reply 63
Original post by Truefaith
THAT IS NOT FOLLOWING ISLAMIC LAW.

Being 'sold' to someone or whatever is forbidden. It makes the marriage void and is haram.

Yes they do have the option of divorce. Ask about it on the ask about islam thread for more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the same old get out clause. 'They are not true muslims by doing this'.
Empirical evidence trumps your doctrine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8366197.stm
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/21/iran.humanrights
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/31/sudanese-woman-stoning-death-adultery

You show your complete blindness to the topic with your assertions. Have you ever been to Afghanistan?
Whatever the Koran says, women are routinely sold as wives, face almost insurmountable obstacles to attaining a divorce if the husband does not agree, and there is a widespread culture in Islamic culture of executing people for this sort of thing.
By simply washing your hands with the most cold hearted, lame excuse imaginable, you show how little you care about human welfare.
Your denials are about as believable as if the Catholic church merely responded to paedophilia by saying those people werent true catholics and took no further interest.
Reply 64
Original post by Lady Comstock
Although I don't agree with execution full stop, there is something wrong with using a method which is intended to, or causes by result, unnecessary pain and suffering. It is a barbaric, drawn-out method of execution.

1. "It is barbaric" = your subjective opinion. Please understand this very critical concept.

2. The whole point of the "pain" is so people are more deterred from doing the crime. If someone was fairly determined to do a serious crime and knows he'll just be "put to sleep", they would probably be happy to gamble with all or nothing. However, the thought of the pain of the punishment, and that it won't be a simple "close your eyes and that will be the end of it", would really make this potential criminal think harder before executing the crime.

3. As has been already mentioned, you cannot get stoned, unless you want to be stoned.
Original post by the mezzil
That is no different to killing someone with a gun. Different way, same outcome.

kinda like firing a gun in the dark and if it happens to hit an innocent person then so be it.
When I mean the 'west' I mean western ideals and ideologies, not specifically USA/ Europe. So when you say "everyone else" that comes under the West, since "everyone else" is fighting for democracy, of fighting for freedom from Islamist oppression.

Nah some of the stuff goes against islamic ideologies.

From extremists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
But what part of adultery warrants death though? I mean, I understand the harm that can come from it. I just think (and again only my opinion) that the punishment of death is disproportionate to the 'crime'. If it had to be punished in a criminal sense, then couldn't their be a more humane method of punishment?

if we can accept adultery is bad, we can accept that people ought to be punished for it.
If they deserve to be punished for it, you either think it is wrong that societal values be applied to gauge the punishment, or you think that your society's views are better than theirs, which is it?
what is "humane"? Is it humane to be kept locked up for life? Surely it would be more "humane" to just not punish anyone using this view?

There must be 4 witnesses who agree on everything and saw it at the same time. They must all the trustworthy and reliable. Not gonna happen.

Do I need to post links to 4 videos on shock sites to prove to you that... it happens?
Original post by MatureStudent36
I've got mixed feelings on the death penalty. However its just the set of values and standards that is common in the muslin world.

Consider something that you would find the death penalty acceptable for and then just transfer that sense of conviction over to something else.

Afghanistan is a very rural country, and in many ways the people their like to live their lives a certain way. The religious council in Afghanistan is called the Ulema Council, they don't hold massively different views to the rule of religious law form the Taliban in some respects.

Things will change in Afghanistan to stop these things, but it'll take a generation or two.

I personally don't find the death penalty acceptable in any situation, but that's just me.

Anyway, to bring back your earlier point, I did read that Afghanistan did sign the Universal declaration of human right back in '48. (I acknowledge that they may have pulled out, changed their belief since then etc, still reading up on it myself atm.)
Original post by c471
This is the same old get out clause. 'They are not true muslims by doing this'.
Empirical evidence trumps your doctrine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8366197.stm
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/21/iran.humanrights
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/may/31/sudanese-woman-stoning-death-adultery

You show your complete blindness to the topic with your assertions. Have you ever been to Afghanistan?
Whatever the Koran says, women are routinely sold as wives, face almost insurmountable obstacles to attaining a divorce if the husband does not agree, and there is a widespread culture in Islamic culture of executing people for this sort of thing.
By simply washing your hands with the most cold hearted, lame excuse imaginable, you show how little you care about human welfare.
Your denials are about as believable as if the Catholic church merely responded to paedophilia by saying those people werent true catholics and took no further interest.

Wth?

I am talking about islamic law and NONE of this is under it.

And it is un islamic and i (as do most if not all muslims) disagree.

I dont even think you read my post tbh. I said its not islamic. I diddnt even say anything about them personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bazookabrad
Do I need to post links to 4 videos on shock sites to prove to you that... it happens?

No.

Of what? People being stoned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.

Of what? People being stoned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Muslim women being surrounded by savage muslim men and having stones repeatedly smashed off their heads and faces until they're unrecognizable... to be more precise.
Nah some of the stuff goes against islamic ideologies.

From extremists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a big difference between Islam, and Islamism. I view the latter as the opponent of the west, and the former an ally. Islam a peaceful religion, radical Islam is not. Any Muslim who fights radical Islam is western in my view.
I personally don't find the death penalty acceptable in any situation, but that's just me.

Anyway, to bring back your earlier point, I did read that Afghanistan did sign the Universal declaration of human right back in '48. (I acknowledge that they may have pulled out, changed their belief since then etc, still reading up on it myself atm.)

I may be wrong, but death penalty for capital crimes isn't covered in that. We were still hanging people in the 60s, America and Japan still execute.
Original post by ChildishHambino
kinda like firing a gun in the dark and if it happens to hit an innocent person then so be it.

Not really.

Drones are controlled by a human pilot. They don't target civilians. It is against military and International law.
Original post by bazookabrad
Muslim women being surrounded by savage muslim men and having stones repeatedly smashed off their heads and faces until they're unrecognizable... to be more precise.

Yes and did i deny that happens? That is not according to islamic law.
Reread my posts on this thread to understand the rules because i am not typing them out again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a big difference between Islam, and Islamism. I view the latter as the opponent of the west, and the former an ally. Islam a peaceful religion, radical Islam is not. Any Muslim who fights radical Islam is western in my view.

Hmm fair enough

Tbh i wouldnt call it islam.(assuming you are talking about the likes of the Taliban)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Wth?

I am talking about islamic law and NONE of this is under it.

And it is un islamic and i (as do most if not all muslims) disagree.

I dont even think you read my post tbh. I said its not islamic. I diddnt even say anything about them personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hell, Ill do the reading for you shall i? From the first one:

'The group controls large swathes of southern Somalia where they have imposed a strict interpretation of Islamic law which has been unpopular with many Somalis. '

the point is, it doesnt matter whether you consider it to be unislamic or not. You absolve yourself and your religion of responsibility with incredible ease. As a major ideological force, Islam should be held to account not just for its objective teachings, but the culture it fosters.

The catholic church never encouraged having sex with young boys, but clearly there was a cultural factor that made it so prevalent.

Again, in small words, it doesnt matter what it says the burden of proof should be, the evidence shows that the application of these laws and teachings are not done like that. Religious councils here in the UK have been filmed showing how hard it is to get a non-consenting divorce as a woman. Imagine what it is like in a place like Afghanistan.
Hmm fair enough

Tbh i wouldnt call it islam.(assuming you are talking about the likes of the Taliban)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not calling it Islam, it is not. It is radical Islam; Islamism. The ones who have declared Jihad against the West.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending