The Student Room Group

Question About Referencing

I'm at Oxford Brookes and there's an unseen exam coming up. When I'm referencing in exam's to particular studies or researchers, do I just need to know his or hers name?. I.E: Do I not need to remember years, or the page on which the research was sourced? Also, I'm guessing I don't need to write a full bibliography, or remember the publisher, city, editor of every book I've used.

So for example would this be acceptable referencing in an unseen exam?:

Hall stated that city centres have been more densely populated with the move to post-industrialism. This means that as globalisation has accelerated, city centres have too become more densely populated, especially with the increased movement of ethnic minorities in and out of major world cities.

Finally, in unseen exam's do you need to use speech marks to indicate where quotes or text have been directly lifted from reading material? Or is simply stating a researchers name enough to demonstrate your understanding?

Overall, I did Sociology at A Level, so are university unseen exams similar to those?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure how different your uni's rules are to mine, but when we have unseen exams we put the author or researcher's name and the year it was published. So in your example:

Hall (Insert date here), stated that city centres have been more densely populated with the move to post-industrialism. This means that as globalisation has accelerated, city centres have too become more densely populated, especially with the increased movement of ethnic minorities in and out of major world cities.

I would ask one of your lecturers too be completely sure before you take this exam :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jkk45
I'm at Oxford Brookes and there's an unseen exam coming up. When I'm referencing in exam's to particular studies or researchers, do I just need to know his or hers name?. I.E: Do I not need to remember years, or the page on which the research was sourced? Also, I'm guessing I don't need to write a full bibliography, or remember the publisher, city, editor of every book I've used.

So for example would this be acceptable referencing in an unseen exam?:

Hall stated that city centres have been more densely populated with the move to post-industrialism. This means that as globalisation has accelerated, city centres have too become more densely populated, especially with the increased movement of ethnic minorities in and out of major world cities.

Finally, in unseen exam's do you need to use speech marks to indicate where quotes or text have been directly lifted from reading material? Or is simply stating a researchers name enough to demonstrate your understanding?

Overall, I did Sociology at A Level, so are university unseen exams similar to those?

Thanks in advance!

University exams are usually different to A-Level, for International Relations at UEA the exam questions are similar to those we might be asked to write a coursework essay on. Always use quotation marks when quoting word for word. In my case we are supposed to know the year as well as the name but we don't need to worry about a biliography, check with your tutor though in case its different at your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending