The Student Room Group

Do I accept my uni department's decision?

Hi, sorry in advance if this post is really long and rambley, I didn't want to miss anything out :smile:

I'm in my third and final year of a nursing degree at the moment. I've just finished a practice placement in hospital, and I've failed this placement because of issues with confidence :/. I still need to work on my confidence in practice, and I totally understand why they couldn't pass me at this time. After I found out that I'd failed the placement, I had a meeting with my personal tutor at uni to discuss my options. I was told I could either carry on with my third year work and finish the course a few months later than the others in my year, or I could step off the course and re-join the year below in November 2014. I would retake my failed placement in January 2014 whichever option I chose.

Now here's the thing... I had this meeting with my personal tutor the day after I'd failed the placement and was still pretty gutted. We were talking through the pros and cons of each option and I was leaning towards stepping off the course till November 2014. But now I've thought about it with a clearer head, I can see a lot of problems with this option and I feel the best choice for me personally would be to carry on with third year now and finish a bit later than the others.

I informed my personal tutor of this the day after our meeting and she now reckons that stepping off the course is my only option. She told me that from what I said to her in our meeting the day before, she thinks it would be in my best interests to step off the course till next year. She's told me not to go to any of the lectures for the new module we've just started. I understand her reasons for believing it may not be in my best interests but my department just seem to have made up their minds and are forcing my hand without letting me have the final say. I never said in our meeting that I had decided to step off till November 2014, I said I needed more time to think about my options and to talk to my family before deciding.

If it turns out that my department won't allow me to continue this year should I just accept this? It just doesn't seem right.
Thanks x
Reply 1
Just contact her and say for definite that you've decided you want to continue. Say you appreciate her advice, but you've decided that you are going to continue. Use lots of 'definite' language to assure her that this is what you really want, and avoid any 'hesitant' language like 'probably' or 'maybe.' - Good luck! :smile:
Original post by northernlight
Hi, sorry in advance if this post is really long and rambley, I didn't want to miss anything out :smile:

I'm in my third and final year of a nursing degree at the moment. I've just finished a practice placement in hospital, and I've failed this placement because of issues with confidence :/. I still need to work on my confidence in practice, and I totally understand why they couldn't pass me at this time. After I found out that I'd failed the placement, I had a meeting with my personal tutor at uni to discuss my options. I was told I could either carry on with my third year work and finish the course a few months later than the others in my year, or I could step off the course and re-join the year below in November 2014. I would retake my failed placement in January 2014 whichever option I chose.

Now here's the thing... I had this meeting with my personal tutor the day after I'd failed the placement and was still pretty gutted. We were talking through the pros and cons of each option and I was leaning towards stepping off the course till November 2014. But now I've thought about it with a clearer head, I can see a lot of problems with this option and I feel the best choice for me personally would be to carry on with third year now and finish a bit later than the others.

I informed my personal tutor of this the day after our meeting and she now reckons that stepping off the course is my only option. She told me that from what I said to her in our meeting the day before, she thinks it would be in my best interests to step off the course till next year. She's told me not to go to any of the lectures for the new module we've just started. I understand her reasons for believing it may not be in my best interests but my department just seem to have made up their minds and are forcing my hand without letting me have the final say. I never said in our meeting that I had decided to step off till November 2014, I said I needed more time to think about my options and to talk to my family before deciding.

If it turns out that my department won't allow me to continue this year should I just accept this? It just doesn't seem right.
Thanks x

ekf241 gives some good advice, but I would also suggest that you go along to your student's union and use their advice service. One of their main roles is to represent students when matters like this occur, and they'll know exactly what to do :yep:
Reply 3
Original post by northernlight

Thanks x

Start if saying there's no nice way of saying this and it's selfish of me. The thing you have to understand (your lecturer's name) is that this is my decision and I will take full responsibility for it. Blah blah blah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending