The Student Room Group

Graduated, but not confident in my abilities

Hi, I graduated with a 2:2, which isn't great I know. I didn't put nearly enough effort into making a 2:1 or higher due to lack of motivation, but am stuck with this nonetheless!

I find I have more motivation in a working environment than anywhere else which means I'd probably learn a lot more, but I highly doubt anyone would take me on. I'm just curious as to what options I might have in order to feel more confident or learn more in the Computing sector (Database work, web design, programming, etc)?
Original post by Powellellogram
Hi, I graduated with a 2:2, which isn't great I know. I didn't put nearly enough effort into making a 2:1 or higher due to lack of motivation, but am stuck with this nonetheless!

I find I have more motivation in a working environment than anywhere else which means I'd probably learn a lot more, but I highly doubt anyone would take me on. I'm just curious as to what options I might have in order to feel more confident or learn more in the Computing sector (Database work, web design, programming, etc)?

Have you looked at smaller companies? They're less likely to have a "must have a 2:1" filter :yes:
Reply 2
I have, but like I said I still don't feel as though I'd fit in due to lack of knowledge. I know for a fact there will be much better candidates out there with much better skills, as I still have a lot to learn in most aspects of computing. Most companies seem to require that you're "competant" in a specific aspect and I don't feel I am. I'd need training whilst on the job but I do learn quickly, not sure if that's a valid enough reason for anyone to take me on though?
If you don't believe in yourself, how can an employer believe in you enough to hire you from an interview?

Perhaps take classes in your own time to get you up to a standard you deem satisfactory.
Reply 4
Original post by Powellellogram
I have, but like I said I still don't feel as though I'd fit in due to lack of knowledge. I know for a fact there will be much better candidates out there with much better skills, as I still have a lot to learn in most aspects of computing. Most companies seem to require that you're "competant" in a specific aspect and I don't feel I am. I'd need training whilst on the job but I do learn quickly, not sure if that's a valid enough reason for anyone to take me on though?

Freelance. Yup. Freelance. That's right, if you don't know how to do something - say you do, and then teach yourself how to do it whilst making lots of money.
Oh god, the other responses :-(

You feel really bad about having got a 2.2. It has shaken your confidence in yourself and your abilities.
Because of that, you can't trust yourself to be a good judge of your abilities - you are looking at things from a bad place.

First of all, although many larger companies do filter by degree result, the majority of software engineering is done in hundreds of smaller companies which find it *extremely difficult* to attract applicants. The best way to reach these companies is through an agency like Connectus or Redline. They list contact numbers on the ads on their sites. Phone up, and explain your situation 'I can code, I am a bit worried about my degree...'. They will have personal contact with hiring managers and talk them into interviewing you.

Keep in mind that TSR is full of very strange people with perfect lives, who do not tolerate failure. Normal people like you and me have ups and downs. We do degrees that turn out not to be right. We apply for a bunch of jobs and are pleasantly surprised to get an offer after a few unsuccessful interviews. I think that getting a job will help your self esteem a lot, so keep your chin up and learn to forgive yourself a little.

Don't go and do freelance. Clients expect you to be able to do stuff, and the easy work is all taken by people in low cost countries anyway. It makes a nice hobby that turns skills you learned on the job into a bit of extra spending money, but you can't live on low grade freelancing.

If you want to talk more about your specific situation, and I haven't come across and an arse, feel free to PM.
Reply 6
Original post by TheSilentBang
If you don't believe in yourself, how can an employer believe in you enough to hire you from an interview?

Perhaps take classes in your own time to get you up to a standard you deem satisfactory.

Totally agreed! You can also create a unique Resume (It will help you a lot)
Reply 7
I had a 2:2 computing degree and now am in a well paid job. They were looking for expected 2:1 results and my tutor told them I was expecting a 2:1 lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending