The Student Room Group

London voted greatest city on earth

Scroll to see replies

I love London.

Now if i could just have a 6 figure salary to live there, that would be mighty grand :smile:

I jest, but London's gentrification is insane.
Original post by The Egg Militia
Agreed. Most people from London I meet seem to think they're better than everyone else. If not, they're usually drug addicts and in 'gangs'.

Seconded.
Anyone who thinks London is the greatest hasn't been to Greater London.

Spoiler

I used to think it was, now not so much.
Original post by Naami
THEY HAVE FREQUENT BUSES.

Coventry's a dump

Agreed on both counts :biggrin:
Greatest city in what sense? I hate how no one is English so it just feels like a foreign country...

It is impressive though i have to admit
Whoever wrote that clearly hasn't used public transport during rush hour, but I don't disagree.

Best thing about London is the anonymity -- you could be anywhere, about to do anything, and no one will know.
Original post by meenu89
I hear they have a great Mayor too...:biggrin:

Hilarious but in reality Boris is a moron/sideshow.
Reply 48
Original post by MostUncivilised
Couldn't agree more. This city is full of amazing opportunities and people.

I arrived in 2011 with a few thousand pounds, no degree and a pretty checkered work history. I now earn about £30,000 a year, I'm studying law, I'm a trade union organiser, I've hung out at the Travellers Club, had dinner in the House of Commons, and met the guy I presume I'll spend the rest of my life with.

This city opens doors for people with even a modicum of ambition and cunning. Back home in Australia people thought I was weird. Here, they welcome me with open arms. If you can't make something of yourself in this city, you may as well pack it in.

Also, I couldn't agree more about central London, that's why I've chosen to live within 20 minutes walk of the Inns and the Palace of Westminster. I'm constantly surprised at how much you can discover exploring it on foot.

This is true! Quite a few natives have been astounded when I've shown them Middle Temple. Many don't even bother to see what's right in front of their eyes.

How did you go from homeless to making £30,000 and studying law at the same time? Inspirational story :biggrin:
Real best cities to live:

Oslo
Luxembourg City
Zurich
Toronto
Berlin
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Tel Aviv
Sydney
Stockholm
Original post by A-Dog
How did you go from homeless to making £30,000 and studying law at the same time? Inspirational story :biggrin:

I wasn't homeless. I just didn't have very much money when I moved here from Australia.

I started working for a university, and ended up studying there. I now work for another university that gives me paid time off to study.
Reply 51
I wasn't homeless. I just didn't have very much money when I moved here from Australia.

I started working for a university, and ended up studying there. I now work for another university that gives me paid time off to study.

How did you rent somewhere though. I've been having a look at somewhere to rent in london and they are all really expensive even in house shares. Did you organise it all before you left Australia?
Reply 52
No way is London anywhere near Sydney.
Reply 53
Original post by meenu89
I hear they have a great Mayor too...:biggrin:

Can your great Mayor reduce the travel expenses. Isn't it weird how it costs more than 3x to travel in London than most cities (perhaps anywhere else) in the world !
Original post by A-Dog
How did you rent somewhere though. I've been having a look at somewhere to rent in london and they are all really expensive even in house shares. Did you organise it all before you left Australia?

I stayed with friends of my family for about a month and looked for a place. The first place I lived in after that was sharing a house with two others in Stockwell for £420 a month.
Original post by elohssa
No way is London anywhere near Sydney.

Completely disagree (having lived for two decades in Sydney and three years here in London). Sydney is great if you like the outdoors, sports and don't mind stifling conformity.

If you love history, architecture, culture.. if you're quirky or different.. or love live music and cute old pubs, or eccentric traditions.. London is the city for you.
Reply 56
I stayed with friends of my family for about a month and looked for a place. The first place I lived in after that was sharing a house with two others in Stockwell for £420 a month.

HOw did you get a job that paid enough? I find it hard even to get a part time job which obviously is nowhere near enough for rrent.
Also, what's the point of moving to somewhere like stockwell? aren't you just living in london for sake of it?
Reply 57
I've been living here for two months. London simply surprises you at every turn. I'm living for cheaper than i'd predicted at Nottingham, and no-one really gives a **** about what you do. The reason why london is such a tolerant and great place is because no-one cares, and noone judges.
Original post by A-Dog
HOw did you get a job that paid enough? I find it hard even to get a part time job which obviously is nowhere near enough for rrent. Also, what's the point of moving to somewhere like stockwell? aren't you just living in london for sake of it?

You're kidding, right? Why don't you type in SW8 2EG into Google maps and streetview it, and tell me what you think Stockwell is supposed to be like.

Maybe your sneering condascension is your greatest obstacle to gainful employment.
Reply 59
London. Nice for a weekend, but rather not live there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending