The Student Room Group

infinity and zero

Apparently numbers don't have a middle because if something is never ending the it can't have a middle.So do you guys think that 0 is the middle because if there is infinity on both sides 0 Has to be the middle but it can't be because apparently it can't have a middle. What do you think? I'm visibly confused.
Original post by techno-thriller
Apparently numbers don't have a middle because if something is never ending the it can't have a middle.So do you guys think that 0 is the middle because if there is infinity on both sides 0 Has to be the middle but it can't be because apparently it can't have a middle. What do you think? I'm visibly confused.

This isn't going to end well.
Original post by Mr M
This isn't going to end well.

For me or the thread?:tongue:
For me or the thread?:tongue:

For us all. Stop messing with the fabric of the universe.
Original post by Mr M
For us all. Stop messing with the fabric of the universe.

OK :erm:
Reply 5
It is useful to use 0 as the middle because it is the only number which is neither positive or negative.
Reply 6
Original post by james22
It is useful to use 0 as the middle because it is the only number which is neither positive or negative.

That assumes that 0 is a number
Reply 7
Original post by TenOfThem
That assumes that 0 is a number

0 is most certainly in the set of real numbers. You could say that it isn't in the set of naturals ands you could sa that it isn't in Q if you define Q by extending N (where N starts at 1), but it is definitely in the reals.
Reply 8

It's a circle because minus and plus infinity are the same thing
Reply 9
0 is the middle because it is the average of +infinity and -infinity.
Original post by scrotgrot
It's a circle because minus and plus infinity are the same thing

0 is elliptical surely?

Do you want to know if there are numbers between 0? or course, a positive and a negative one! but this middle as written by some members before is endless.
Reply 12
That depends what you mean by "middle". If your definition of "middle" is "a number such that there are exactly as many numbers smaller than it as their are numbers larger than it", then every single real number is a "middle" for R\mathbb{R}

Quick Reply

Latest