The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Does minor have to be from the same dept?

As the title says :smile: I'm applying for English Lit and Language for 2014/15 and although I don't even have an offer yet I'm trying to plan and find out as much as possible. I would have to choose one minor with my course, and I was just wondering whether this had to be selected form a certain department or whether it can be absolutely anything.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Anything so long as it doesn't cause a timetable clash, and maybe a few other restrictions in specific cases. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Most combinations of subjects are absolutely fine :smile:
The minors are there so you can pick anything :smile: Obviously there are some exceptions/courses that can't be taken as minors - hazard a guess that things like Law can't be minors (I know you definitely can't take any minors if you do Law), though who knows, I may be wrong. I know a lot of people doing a language as a minor, when their major is psychology, geology, management, etc.
Reply 4
Thank you everyone!
Original post by stphr
Thank you everyone!

For some there are A level requirements too.

So for example when I was at Lancaster to do engineering as a major required a Maths A Level at grade B or above.

So if you wanted to do engineering as a minor you had to meet that same requirement, so if you didn't have maths at grade B or above you were not able to take an engineering minor.

There will be plenty of other examples like that, but as that was the only one directly relevant to me it's the only one I know of.
Reply 6
You can certainly do minors from other departments, but you also need to have pre-requisite A Levels for some. For example I'm pretty sure PHYS100 requires A Level maths, whereas PHYS120 does not.
Reply 7
Original post by desdemonata
The minors are there so you can pick anything :smile: Obviously there are some exceptions/courses that can't be taken as minors - hazard a guess that things like Law can't be minors (I know you definitely can't take any minors if you do Law), though who knows, I may be wrong. I know a lot of people doing a language as a minor, when their major is psychology, geology, management, etc.

Law can be a minor alongside a joint honours major, but not one major and one minor as the second minor. (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending