The Student Room Group

Heart FM - Cutting songs too short

Hi,

I've been listening to Heart FM for a while and noticed something - they always tend to cut songs too short on their programmes. Mostly it's happening on networked shows.

As an example I heard Starship - "We Built This City" play on Heart (remember that song? :biggrin:) and it was cut over a half minute too early. They also like cutting Daft Punk - "Get Lucky" about 20-30 seconds short also.
Why do they do this? Other stations I have heard don't tend to do this to their songs.

A question to you - have you also noticed this on Heart, or any other station? In my opinion, it's kinda annoying to hear half-hacked songs.... :mad::mad:

Scroll to see replies

It's kinda annoying to be subjected to that tirade of worthless, soulless noise every morning and evening on my coach to and from college - how our drivers think people actually like it I do not know. Seriously, Heart is the music station for people who do not like music.

My advice: turn the radio off and get an mp3/mp4/ipod.

But yeah, even the best stations are guilty of hacking music to pieces. :/
Reply 2
I've noticed the same on my local heart radio.
Reply 3
Original post by ninuzu
I've noticed the same on my local heart radio.

All of the Heart's tend to do this while they're on the networked hours.I don't know why, but there you go...

Here's a clip from a few days ago: it's just too short.
http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/why-has-toby-anstis-just-murdered-daft-punk-again/

Noted that most songs have this done to them during the network hours. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by spotify95
All of the Heart's tend to do this while they're on the networked hours.I don't know why, but there you go...

Here's a clip from a few days ago: it's just too short.
http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/why-has-toby-anstis-just-murdered-daft-punk-again/

Noted that most songs have this done to them during the network hours. :frown:

Have you noticed they also play the same songs OVER and OVER and OVER again?
But despite all this, I prefer heart much more than radio 1 or other radio stations.
Reply 5
Original post by ninuzu
Have you noticed they also play the same songs OVER and OVER and OVER again?
But despite all this, I prefer heart much more than radio 1 or other radio stations.

Correct, they don't live up to their "more music variety" slogan. Where's the new music?
There's been loads of mainstream pop released recently yet you hear none of it on Heart....
I prefer Capital. Yes they also play the same songs but they're not ones you've already heard lots of times.
Reply 6
Correct, they don't live up to their "more music variety" slogan. Where's the new music?
There's been loads of mainstream pop released recently yet you hear none of it on Heart....
I prefer Capital. Yes they also play the same songs but they're not ones you've already heard lots of times.

Yeah capital's good. Unfortunately, capital don't do anything in my local area, so the only way I can listen to it is by streaming it online :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by ninuzu
Yeah capital's good. Unfortunately, capital don't do anything in my local area, so the only way I can listen to it is by streaming it online :frown:

Luckily I can get the Capital leicestershire broadcasts in my area, even though I'm in Northamptonshire. However the signals not too strong, but luckily I also have a DAB radio.
If you can get Heart on FM try and see if you can get overlapping frequencies (depending on your radio and aerial). Otherwise invest in a DAB Radio; wherever Heart is broadcast on FM you will also get Capital on DAB. :smile:

Edit: In Cambridgeshire there isn't really overlapping frequency you can try... if you live in the NW of Cambs you can try and get 105.4 Capital East Mids (Leicestershire) or if you are further south, Capital London 95.8. In the car the latter can be heard to just before Bedford (going north).

Have you tried Kiss Cambridge (or the main Kiss 106.4FM)? That should be receivable in your area and some of the music is similar to Capital.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Heart have just hacked the end off Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines. Why?
I don't get why they do this... are they trying to annoy the audience?

Edit: Daft Punk's been hacked again: http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/oh-god-its-toby-again-bad-segue-on-daft-punk-get-lucky/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
The last thing I will post about Heart for a while, and possibly the last time I will listen to Heart.

They hacked up Jermaine Stewart today - over 1'00 chopped off the end. Only 2'58 of a 4'05 song played. http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/heart-fm-toby-anstis-has-absolutely-murdered-jermaine-stewart/

They annihilated Starship - We Built This City today. Only 2'32 of a 4'56 song played! See here: http://www.mixcloud.com/spotify95/heart-fm-this-is-the-worst-segue-ever/

Please, avoid this station.
T

I don't like the station but I'll admit there's more variety than other stations.
They cut the music short because they pay royalties for how long they play the song, shorter song means they pay less.
Reply 11
Original post by Tom_green_day
I don't like the station but I'll admit there's more variety than other stations.
They cut the music short because they pay royalties for how long they play the song, shorter song means they pay less.

But there's not a lot of variety at all with heart. The songs have already been played to death before. They need some new music.

In terms of paying royalties - ok, but please - don't cut songs so they sound mashed. The Starship Song (We Built This City) only made the 2nd chorus before hacked ridiculously short. It would be better to play a song less each hour (and all in full). chances are royalties would be less, or the same?
But there's not a lot of variety at all with heart. The songs have already been played to death before. They need some new music.

In terms of paying royalties - ok, but please - don't cut songs so they sound mashed. The Starship Song (We Built This City) only made the 2nd chorus before hacked ridiculously short. It would be better to play a song less each hour (and all in full). chances are royalties would be less, or the same?

Well don't quote me on this but I think its dependant on the time you play each song- for example if you play a song for 2 minutes it costs so much, play it for 3 minutes it costs so much more, so if they play it for 2m59s then it costs the 2 mins rate instead of the 3 mins rate so they try to go for that.
Reply 13
Original post by Tom_green_day
Well don't quote me on this but I think its dependant on the time you play each song- for example if you play a song for 2 minutes it costs so much, play it for 3 minutes it costs so much more, so if they play it for 2m59s then it costs the 2 mins rate instead of the 3 mins rate so they try to go for that.

That's strange! Didn't think that it worked like that! I thought it was per song/play etc, regardless of time?
Though I don't actually work in radio, I believe that's the logical way of it working.
That's strange! Didn't think that it worked like that! I thought it was per song/play etc, regardless of time?
Though I don't actually work in radio, I believe that's the logical way of it working.

If that was the case then they'd play longer songs, and writers would therefore write shorter songs which take up less time.
I don't work in radio either but my dad used to work for PRS so I had these things explained to me in detail.
Heart FM I swear are scared of black people rapping.

They played hall of fame by The Script and cut out all the parts will.i.am did. The song lasted like less than 2 minutes!

I possibly understand cutting out Snoop Dog on California Girls as it's completely different from the rest of the song, but this is just pathetic.
Reply 16
Original post by ConnorB
Heart FM I swear are scared of black people rapping.

They played hall of fame by The Script and cut out all the parts will.i.am did. The song lasted like less than 2 minutes!

I possibly understand cutting out Snoop Dog on California Girls as it's completely different from the rest of the song, but this is just pathetic.

The Katy Perry one (California Gurls) I can understand. I prefer the no rap edit. But why butcher Hall Of Fame?
I think if they can't play it in it's entirety they shouldn't be allowed to play it.
Reply 17
All pop radio stations do that, its so annoying. I was listening to Capital and they put Taylor Swift and One Direction on for the whole length of their respective songs, while the one song I liked that actually came on was cut for only 30 seconds :frown:
The Katy Perry one (California Gurls) I can understand. I prefer the no rap edit. But why butcher Hall Of Fame?
I think if they can't play it in it's entirety they shouldn't be allowed to play it.

My point is that Danny pretty much raps the lyrics just as much as Will.i.am does... so why the stupid censor.

I don't want to use "that card' but it is blatant racism. and the song is stupidly short, like less than 2 mins.
Original post by ConnorB
My point is that Danny pretty much raps the lyrics just as much as Will.i.am does... so why the stupid censor.

I don't want to use "that card' but it is blatant racism. and the song is stupidly short, like less than 2 mins.

Maybe they have to pay more? I can't think of a reason apart from that as all will does is go "yeah" occasionally. Love The Script and so I get really sad whenever they cut out bits of the song.
I've given up on Heart as they played Blurred Lines 3 times in a day and are slowly causing me to hate all the songs I loved by repetition. Might go to Absolute for their "no repeat guarantee".

Quick Reply

Latest