The Student Room Group

Does anyone feel sorry for this couple?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wahala
They didn't refuse the couple service, they offered them single rooms instead of a double bed. The gay couple should have either accepted or found a gay friendly hotel. I often see 'gay friendly' listed in hotel descriptions.

Secondly it is their own private residence too, they live there so the shop owner analogy doesn't apply. They should be able to state what rules guests abide by.

YES I do feel very sorry for this couple.

It's still discrimination there are no such things as 'gay friendly' hotels, there are just hotels.

No it's not a private residence it's a B&B and as such has to comply with the Law as they offer a service.

you shouldn't
Reply 41
Original post by tory88
I find their views pretty horrible, but I think they have the right to express it. If they don't want gay guests then they should be allowed to mandate that.

How about if they don't want black guest?

Or disabled Guests?

where would YOU draw the line?
Original post by PopaPork
It's still discrimination there are no such things as 'gay friendly' hotels, there are just hotels.

No it's not a private residence it's a B&B and as such has to comply with the Law as they offer a service.

you shouldn't

It's good to see you and I can agree on some things :wink:
Reply 43

you shouldn't

Just stating what I often see on hotel descriptions. I have often come across B&B's stating double beds only offered to married couples. Meh just find another.

Different considerations should be given to those running B&B's from their private residences as it is still the owner's home afterall.
(edited 10 years ago)
It seems pretty easy to support the owners if you're a straight white guy... Who gives a rat's ass about discrimination when we're not going to be the ones discriminated against?

It'd be interesting to see if any non-Christians (for obvious biased reasons) who don't fulfil the aforementioned criteria would come in defence of the owners here...
Original post by Wahala
Just stating what I often see on hotel descriptions. I have often come across B&B's stating double beds only offered to married couples. Meh just find another.

Different considerations should be given to those running B&B's from their private residences as it is still the owner's home afterall.

Why should it make any difference because it's their home? They made that choice. I like to walk around my house naked of an evening, but if I wanted to turn it into a B&B I might put a curb on that behaviour because I don't want to be done for indecency. If I couldn't live without walking around naked, I wouldn't open a bloody B&B in my house.
Original post by Algorithm69
But the free market would dictate that 99% of businesses would not discriminate.

I guess you're a little young to remember the days of "no blacks, no Irish". Minorities get discriminated against all the time in businesses around the world, even if it's counter to financial interest.

These hotel owners make me embarrassed to be Christian.
Original post by chazwomaq
I guess you're a little young to remember the days of "no blacks, no Irish". Minorities get discriminated against all the time in businesses around the world, even if it's counter to financial interest.

These hotel owners make me embarrassed to be Christian.

Oh, thank God (for the lack of a better expression).
Reply 48
Because it seems appropriate for the owners to retain some say in how their home should/shouldn't be used, just like Landlords can easily refuse to let their property to students or those with pets.

Furthermore, they did not turn the gay couple away just offered them a different kind of accommodation instead.
Reply 49

These hotel owners make me embarrassed to be Christian

Why is that? They didn't refuse them because they were gay.
Reply 50
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It's sad that you think like that, because you actually do. It's not the same as dictating who you can have in your house at all. You open a business with the knowledge that people from all walks of like are going to want to walk into your shop. Honestly, if you open a corner shop with the attitude that "I'm going to serve everyone here...except anyone that's not white, straight and male" you don't deserve to be a part of the local community in the first place, and by allowing it, you send a message to the wider community that it's OK to have this attitude.

You clearly have no respect for the concept of privacy so I will cease to continue debating with you.
Reply 51
How about if they don't want black guest?

Or disabled Guests?

where would YOU draw the line?

I wouldn't. I would find anyone deciding to ban gay, black or disabled guests disturbing, but provided they own the place they can do what they want.
Original post by WGR
You clearly have no respect for the concept of privacy so I will cease to continue debating with you.

And you clearly have no respect for yourself if you think it's ok for people to discriminate against you for reasons beyond your control.
Original post by Wahala
Why is that? They didn't refuse them because they were gay.

Well, so they say. We'll never know until gay marriage becomes law. I basically agree with Lady Hale's judgment. Without quoting the whole thing:

it is difficult to see how
discriminating in this way against a same sex couple in a civil partnership could
ever be justified. But it goes further than that. Parliament has created the institution
of civil partnership in order that same sex partners can enjoy the same legal rights
as partners of the opposite sex. They are also worthy of the same respect and
esteem. The rights and obligations entailed in both marriage and civil partnership
exist both to recognise and to encourage stable, committed, long-term
relationships. It is very much in the public interest that intimate relationships be
conducted in this way. Now that, at long last, same sex couples can enter into a
mutual commitment which is the equivalent of marriage, the suppliers of goods,
facilities and services should treat them in the same way.

This is actually a very good argument as to why gay marriage should be legal: so people cannot use a legal definition loophole to discriminate against them.

Besides, what did Jesus do?
While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
(Mark 2)
Original post by tory88
I wouldn't. I would find anyone deciding to ban gay, black or disabled guests disturbing, but provided they own the place they can do what they want.

So, what if they just rent the place they do business from? Would that be allowed then? What if the landlord wanted them to discriminate, but the shop-keepers didn't, what would happen then? Really it is an oddly specific set of rules you're proposing.
Reply 55
Original post by A Perfect Circle
It seems pretty easy to support the owners if you're a straight white guy... Who gives a rat's ass about discrimination when we're not going to be the ones discriminated against?

It'd be interesting to see if any non-Christians (for obvious biased reasons) who don't fulfil the aforementioned criteria would come in defence of the owners here...

Hey I'm black, have no problem with gays and I am defending them. Their attitudes are terrible but at the end of the day I fully support the right of private businesses to refuse service to whoever they want for whatever reason. Once I went into a printing shop asked for some cards to be printed and the owner pretty much threw me out because I didn't want to to have it redesigned at an extra fee on his own software when I already had full and compatible designs. Do I have a legal case? No. He was an ******* who threw me out of the shop for no good reason but it's his shop at the end of the day. All I can do is boycott it.
Reply 56
Well, so they say. We'll never know until gay marriage becomes law. I basically agree with Lady Hale's judgment. Without quoting the whole thing:

This is actually a very good argument as to why gay marriage should be legal: so people cannot use a legal definition loophole to discriminate against them.

Besides, what did Jesus do?
(Mark 2)

I mean to read the judgement in full later, but from the extract would it make a difference to you if they refused a double bed to an unmarried couple gay/straight.

As I mentioned before, they welcomed them in a christianly manner, you can stay here as your Lord Jesus would probably have done but I doubt he would want to be a facilitator to 'sin'.
Reply 57
Original post by MatureStudent36
The law should accommodate people's religious beliefs. Economically, it would be cheaper to force Muslim prisoners to eat pork, yet their religious beliefs are taken into account.

I'd agree that large hotel chains shouldn't do this, but they'd be mad to. However a small family run business should be able to operate how they feel.

yes, perhaps.

the point I was making is that the law is the law, the couple must know you can't blatantly discriminate based on someones marital status/sexuality/skin colour etc so it would have been smarter to make something up, avoid all the hassle and expense, not to mention negative press, associated with this case. :smile:
Reply 58
OMG it's been FIVE years. They need to let this go now!

I have no sympathy for them at all. Yes, it is their private property. But when they open up their private property as a business, they need to follow to rules that go with it, and that means they are not allowed to discriminate. If they don't like the rules, they don't turn their home into a B&B. Simple. I'm sure these two would be the first to complain if a business in their area refused to serve them because it had set up it's own religion that banned them from dealing with Christians.
Reply 59
Original post by Viva Emptiness
And you clearly have no respect for yourself if you think it's ok for people to discriminate against you for reasons beyond your control.

What is this femlogic? Go read about Voltaire. He is a famous philosopher who said "I don't agree with what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it". I am all for people having their own private KKK and Nazi groups provided that they don't harass anyone or cause trouble. it's called freedom of expression. If I campaigned for the right to attend KKK meetings I would get laughed at, If a Christian campaigned for the right to become an imam he would be laughed at. You can't be part of everybody's group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending