The Student Room Group

P46 form help

Hello everyone,

Apologies for a long messy post, but hopefully some of you can help me out :-)

I have some questions regarding my P46 forms which one normally fills prior to employment. I thought of asking here since people might now before actually bothering my employer.

The job itself starts September 2014. I am still a Masters student but finished my studies, 09.2012-09.2013, graduating in Jan 2014).

The first question which I do not fully understand is regarding the student loan.
It asks:
Do you have a Student Loan which is not fully repaid and the following apply:
-You left a course of UK higher education before last 6 April

I have a loan for my BA degree, and yes I left my BA uni before 6 April...but I am still, technically speaking, a higher-education MA student despite finishing my studies. However, the job itself starts Sep 2014, which is after 6 of April...so I am more inclined to answer "Yes", am I correct? Or does this depend on when my employer will submit these to HMRC?

The second question which I do not fully understand is regarding these 3 statements I need to choose from:

A - This is my first job since 6 april and I have not been receiving taxable
B - This is now my only job but since last 6 April I have had another job.
C - something else which is not relevant

I do not know what to choose as since 6 April I was working part-time for 1 day, but it was only for a few hours at my Uni. Unfortunately I cannot remember if I provided my NI number...What should I choose, A or B? And again, my job starts Sep 2014, so this is after 6 of april so I'm thinking of choosing B...Why do they ask this anyway?

Thanks a million!
Original post by Warfo
Hello everyone,

Apologies for a long messy post, but hopefully some of you can help me out :-)

I have some questions regarding my P46 forms which one normally fills prior to employment. I thought of asking here since people might now before actually bothering my employer.

The job itself starts September 2014. I am still a Masters student but finished my studies, 09.2012-09.2013, graduating in Jan 2014).

The first question which I do not fully understand is regarding the student loan.
It asks:
Do you have a Student Loan which is not fully repaid and the following apply:
-You left a course of UK higher education before last 6 April

I have a loan for my BA degree, and yes I left my BA uni before 6 April...but I am still, technically speaking, a higher-education MA student despite finishing my studies. However, the job itself starts Sep 2014, which is after 6 of April...so I am more inclined to answer "Yes", am I correct? Or does this depend on when my employer will submit these to HMRC?

The second question which I do not fully understand is regarding these 3 statements I need to choose from:

A - This is my first job since 6 april and I have not been receiving taxable
B - This is now my only job but since last 6 April I have had another job.
C - something else which is not relevant

I do not know what to choose as since 6 April I was working part-time for 1 day, but it was only for a few hours at my Uni. Unfortunately I cannot remember if I provided my NI number...What should I choose, A or B? And again, my job starts Sep 2014, so this is after 6 of april so I'm thinking of choosing B...Why do they ask this anyway?

Thanks a million!

I don't know why they're getting you to fill this out now. If you start working and getting paid in Sep 2014 these questions will relate to 2014/5, not this tax year.

Are they paying you anything now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending