The Student Room Group

Med schools accepting mature students!

Does anyone know which schools accept mature students?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by kathyowen04
Does anyone know which schools accept mature students?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they do, i have just applied as a mature student. There are different entry routes available depending on what qualifications you have.
Reply 2
Original post by rosy2388
Yes they do, i have just applied as a mature student. There are different entry routes available depending on what qualifications you have.

Could you suggest a starting point? What Uni's did you look at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went down the A level route, I went back to college with all the 16yr olds. I did chemistry biology maths and geography, also had to redo maths, English and science gcses as I didn't have them at grade b or above. You will need to get A's in your a levels though. Most uni's require aedical admission test aswell, each uni is different but most want the UKCAT or BMAT. Search them in google and you can have a look at them.

Other routes include doing non science A levels and applying for a 6yr medicine course or doing an access to medicine course before the 5 yr medicine course. Or you can apply for graduate medicine if you already have a degree at 2.1 or above.

I've applied to Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster and Leeds as I don't want to move due to having children. You should look on the uni websites and they will have all the entry requirements you need.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went down the A level route, I went back to college with all the 16yr olds. I did chemistry biology maths and geography, also had to redo maths, English and science gcses as I didn't have them at grade b or above. You will need to get A's in your a levels though. Most uni's require aedical admission test aswell, each uni is different but most want the UKCAT or BMAT. Search them in google and you can have a look at them.

Other routes include doing non science A levels and applying for a 6yr medicine course or doing an access to medicine course before the 5 yr medicine course. Or you can apply for graduate medicine if you already have a degree at 2.1 or above.

I've applied to Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster and Leeds as I don't want to move due to having children. You should look on the uni websites and they will have all the entry requirements you need.
Reply 5
Original post by rosy2388

I'm torn between A-levels or access course
Original post by Rasaa22
I'm torn between A-levels or access course

It's entirely up to you. There are pro's and cons with each approach, with the access course, look at how many people from the course get accepted into medicine each year (chances are it will be a really low number). Some only have 1 or 2 people from quite big classes that actually go on to do what they came to the course wanting to study. The pace is usually very fast with limited support from the college as the expectation is that you are a class of adults that should be able to manage their own learning. A major positive for access courses is the comfort of being in a class of people just like you, that understand what it is like to be an adult returning to education and the struggles and pressures that come with it.

If I were you, I would seriously consider doing GCSEs and then A-levels, just so you can really get your study techniques sorted and are well into the swing of things before A-levels as there isn't much margin for error when you need all A grades. This lets you apply to any uni in the uk whereas most access courses are only accepted by one or 2 places. The downside of this approach is that with an access course there is usually a partnership with a uni and sometimes there are other things taken into account in addition to grades such as attendance, contribution in class etc. Whereas with the A-level route you will need to work really hard on your application to distinguish yourself from every other A-levels student showing your life experience, maturity etc.

Whichever route you choose, give it your best and good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
They all accept mature students.

The only thing i would say is that purely anecdotally, Oxbridge seems to be less willing to take on mature students than other med schools. They still do, but fewer and younger. Purely anecdotally though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending