The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
University education requires far more analysis and self directed research than A-Levels. You may agree with Ray, but then neither of you have been to uni.
the syllabus doesnt teach you how exactly to analyse and intepret effectively (hence get good grades),for all of the many historical scenarios one might be faced with, does it...?
Reply 22
my apologies i do IB - equivalent to 1st year uni study
Reply 23
desmondmac
the syllabus doesnt teach you how exactly to analyse and intepret effectively (hence get good grades),for all of the many historical scenarios one might be faced with, does it...?

It doesn't require you to take a 200 + document, read it, analyize it, deduce that which is law from that which is persuasive and then apply it to a situation either. :rolleyes:
in any case your wisdom has been acknowledged and i did not mean you to take any argument to heart. i just really wasn't aware that there were such explicit assesment objectives for PERSONAL statements. And, in the even that they are, they were so readily available to students. indeed you have attended university, but i dont not belive you are an admissions tutor..are you?
Reply 25
desmondmac
in any case your wisdom has been acknowledged and i did not mean you to take any argument to heart. i just really wasn't aware that there were such explicit assesment objectives for PERSONAL statements. And, in the even that they are, they were so readily available to students. indeed you have attended university, but i dont not belive you are an admissions tutor..are you?

No, I'm not an admissions tutor. I'm just giving advice based on what I know of the course.

The thing a PS needs to convey is that you are the right person with the right skills, but also have a personality too. No one really wants to accept an academic whizz kid who is going to piss everyone else off.
lol , well when i get there ethereal im sure ill rise to the challenge lol (cooorrrr is it that haaaarrrdd lol)

but den u get first class teachign so it shouldnt be that difficult ay
Reply 27
desmondmac
lol , well when i get there ethereal im sure ill rise to the challenge lol (cooorrrr is it that haaaarrrdd lol)

but den u get first class teachign so it shouldnt be that difficult ay

Not all of them are over 200 pages :p: Some are quite short. Although, for my dissertation I read one that ran to something like 260 pages :eek: Oh my god could those judges waffle on!!
agrred, you should indicate you have a "personality"- i don not belive this is shown through encorporating assessment objectives in your PS.
Reply 29
desmondmac
agrred, you should indicate you have a "personality"- i don not belive this is shown through encorporating assessment objectives in your PS.

You only asked for academic bits. Be more specific in your questioning :wink:
lol the good old judiciary, i just read a law report on the recent case KAY V

THE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE OF THE METROPOLIS- if you havent already read it u should give it a try http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2006/1536.html
being academic is part of someones personality is it not
maybe you should be clear in saying that some of the personal statement is for the purpose of showing "personality" and some is not...?
Reply 33
desmondmac
lol the good old judiciary, i just read a law report on the recent case KAY V

THE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE OF THE METROPOLIS- if you havent already read it u should give it a try http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2006/1536.html

That's only short. Woukd you like me to PM you a truely massive and horrific one (if I can find it) ?
Reply 34
A modest person would take it in one's stride. If your not up to it, as is clearly evident from your childish fits then don't do it. Go work in the post office or something.
ray what and who are you talking about....
Reply 36
RAYPLETTS
A modest person would take it in one's stride. If your not up to it, as is clearly evident from your childish fits then don't do it. Go work in the post office or something.

I clearly am up to it, otherwise I wouldn't have a degree. run along.
i didnt go looking for long law reports lol i just came across it due to some post where dey were talking bout citing wikepedia as authroity in uni as the court have or summint and i rember dis case on bbc new so i thought id give it a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2006-07-03/Wikipedia_cited_by_the_England_and_Wales_High_Court
well that ends that one- unfortunately for you plett his the one waving a degree about (curse u ethereal) lol
Reply 39
Indeed one does not necessarily have to be explicit when talking about your academic ability.

When writing your personal statement, try not to sound like Chris Eubank
:broken:

Latest

Trending

Trending