The Student Room Group

What was your first Job?

can include work experience and stuff like that.

mine was work experience in a garden centre for a week in 2008 , it was ok.

Scroll to see replies

I had a paper round between the ages of 13 and 18 so I suppose that was my first job.
Reply 2
I was 16 years old! worked at a Cinemas for 2 whole years! I miss the free movies, that's about it!

Edit: I do not miss the national minimum wage for 16 year old's though (£3.60 back then)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
First ever paid job :-
I was 14 and it was to mow the lawns at one big huge stately home owned by the parents of a classmate of mine.

It started out when we visited their home and we went to see his horses, however I was more interested in the rider lawn-mower they had. I asked the gentleman how it worked and he showed me, ended up mowing quite a lot of the lawn :biggrin:

I asked if I could come back again and he said I can come back any time. As for the horse? Even after we were done with A Levels I still hadn't seen his horse :biggrin:

Anyway after that his mum gave me £10 each time I mowed. £10 was pretty good money in 1990 if I remember rightly a pint of beer then was around £1 and petrol was around £1.80 per gallon or around 40p per litre.
First time I was ever in a working environment was when I did a week's work experience in a primary school in my 4th year at school (aged 15).

I was 18 when I got my first paid job in Morrisons (Cafe Assistant). Still there over 2 years later :smile:
Reply 5
21 - Data analyst for 4 months!
Reply 6
15. In the post office as a production worker, and I am still working there.

Started with £15 in hourly wage, and I think it's currently £17.
Reply 7
First paid job was as a receptionist in a sports centre. Pretty good money, all things considered and it was a casual role so I could pick and choose my hours.
At Boots (Pharmacy, not a shoe store.)
Wasn't bad, pretty darn boring though
14, started teaching drum lessons. Also 14, sold ice cream in a cinema / theatre (can't remember which I started first)
Reply 10
16 at a camping shop worked for 2 years wasn't very exciting
bar work. lasted a year. **** that ****.
i volunteered at oxfam for a year or so, my first paid job was a christmas temp at M&S when i was 16
First paid job was this summer, doing freelance stuff.

As for first unpaid "job", well, I don't know if this counts but for the first 13-14 years of my life I spent every single day (when I wasn't at school) in my parents' businesses and helping them with managing and displaying stock, counting money, and dealing with customers and things like that. At the time my parents' friends/regular customers would constantly joke about how I could probably be considered an illegal/underaged worker because I did so much work. My dad was too protective to let me stay home alone (the businesses are all near central London - where we used to live - and we moved 12 miles away when I was 9yo) and I was too restless to sit in one place so I'd constantly be helping them out. It depresses me that I can't write about this or that that I was born and more importantly raised a successful entrepreneur's daughter in my CV; it's like the ultimate work experience! :unimpressed: My mum would work whilst heavily pregnant with me, and when I was born she would carry me around and still work so even then I was being conditioned to learn what it takes to be an highly productive worker. When I was older (my oldest memory being days before my 7th birthday) I'd constantly be helping them manage stock and when he would go out to buy the stock, my dad would take me along with him so I got to see that side of business too. Also, we would occasionally get threatening customers who would threaten us; one even pulled out a knife once and threatened to kill my mum in front of me when I was 5 years old so I've even learned to deal with the most threatening customers. It depresses me to know that I can't write about any of this (and more!) when applying for a job now. :rant:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
My first paid job was when I was about 18, clearing debris from a field of tulips :h: I only did it for 1 day and got paid about 10 pounds for ~7 hours :u:
Work experience when I was 15 at Peacocks clothes store for 2 weeks-hated it but they gave me £20 of clothes :biggrin:

First paid job at 18, working as a healthcare assistant.
Bagging groceries when I was 12
Reply 17
16 - Private Tutor
working in a carpet shop!
Reply 19
18 - Was told I'd be on a computer updating a database, instead they put me in a cupboard and told me to build cardboard boxes. They got rid of me after 2 weeks as I wasn't good enough lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending