The Student Room Group

Austrian Grades Equivalent

Hello there :smile:

Austrian student here, who, after finding the English course at my local uni less than satisfying, is planning on applying to UK unis for English and Film studies. Specifically in London. Among my choices are King's, QMUL and RHUL.

i am essentially finished with my application; personal statement, reference etc are all done. I got a great score on my IELTS test and my grades aren't bad (overall 1.7, which I suppose translates to AAAAACD, as we have to take 6-7 subjects for our A-level equivalent exams). Now here comes my question:

The universities I have chosen to apply to all have entry requirements I technically fullfill, but I was wondering whether anybody here knows if, for international students, they only look at he overall grade, rather than those in individual subjects. Because I have straight As apart from maths and physics, which I guess are irrelevant to my preferred uni course. So...will they consider that, looking at my grades, or is it all...overall?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by alittlehazy
Hello there :smile:

Austrian student here, who, after finding the English course at my local uni less than satisfying, is planning on applying to UK unis for English and Film studies. Specifically in London. Among my choices are King's, QMUL and RHUL.

i am essentially finished with my application; personal statement, reference etc are all done. I got a great score on my IELTS test and my grades aren't bad (overall 1.7, which I suppose translates to AAAAACD, as we have to take 6-7 subjects for our A-level equivalent exams). Now here comes my question:

The universities I have chosen to apply to all have entry requirements I technically fullfill, but I was wondering whether anybody here knows if, for international students, they only look at he overall grade, rather than those in individual subjects. Because I have straight As apart from maths and physics, which I guess are irrelevant to my preferred uni course. So...will they consider that, looking at my grades, or is it all...overall?

Most of them only look at your GPA, but some competitive ones do require specific subjects as 'Prüfungsfach', so be aware of that! For example, Maths for BSc Economics/Mathematics etc.
Due to the fact that the Austrian education system is very similar to the German one, I suggest, you should have a look at the information given for German students. (I'm from Germany as well and sent off my application 2 weeks ago)

Here are the equivalences I know:
AAA ~ 1.0-1.3
AAB ~ 1.4-1.6
ABB ~ 1.7-1.9
BBB ~ 2.0
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

I do have As in all subjects mentioned on the websites as requiring A in UK A-Levels. In my case that's usually just English , sometimes history and another language (Latin in my case).

I'll take another look, whether I can find some more specific information on the uni websites.

good luck with your application.
Reply 3
Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

I do have As in all subjects mentioned on the websites as requiring A in UK A-Levels. In my case that's usually just English , sometimes history and another language (Latin in my case).

I'll take another look, whether I can find some more specific information on the uni websites.

good luck with your application.

That's perfect! So you don't have to worry so much :smile:
It really depends on the uni and course you apply for. Edinburgh, just for instance, require specific subjects with high grades as well. So they do look at your individual subjects.
May I ask what you want to apply for?
Reply 4
Original post by Hanover
That's perfect! So you don't have to worry so much :smile:
It really depends on the uni and course you apply for. Edinburgh, just for instance, require specific subjects with high grades as well. So they do look at your individual subjects.
May I ask what you want to apply for?

I am planning on applying for English and Film studies at Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, King's College (optimistic person that I am :wink: ) , Brunel and Kingston (the last one is a back up option, as I really do want to get out of Vienna quite badly...it's getting too small for me). I am pretty confident that I will make into RHUL and/or QMUL. Though it does say on their websites that the A-Level requirements are AAB-ABB. So with my 1.7 being pretty much exactly in between the two...I should be fine, right? Yes, I am panicking and looking for reassurance.
Reply 5
I am planning on applying for English and Film studies at Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, King's College (optimistic person that I am :wink: ) , Brunel and Kingston (the last one is a back up option, as I really do want to get out of Vienna quite badly...it's getting too small for me). I am pretty confident that I will make into RHUL and/or QMUL. Though it does say on their websites that the A-Level requirements are AAB-ABB. So with my 1.7 being pretty much exactly in between the two...I should be fine, right? Yes, I am panicking and looking for reassurance.

Nice choices! :smile: Vienna is a marvellous city, can't really understand why you want to move out so desperately :biggrin:
I'm applying to Manchester, York, Lancaster, Cass Business School and guess what - QMUL!!
Haha, so we have a little chance of being at the same uni :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Hanover
Nice choices! :smile: Vienna is a marvellous city, can't really understand why you want to move out so desperately :biggrin:
I'm applying to Manchester, York, Lancaster, Cass Business School and guess what - QMUL!!

It is a pretty city..but after 20 years in the same place...I could do with a new home. Might come back at someone point. I am still young, after all :smile:

very cool. Keep me updated on your offers, if you want. Definitely wishing you good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Hanover

Vienna is overrated
From Vienna and have been studying in London for the past 2.5 years. First thing I'm doing after my MSc is done in Sep 2015 is moving back home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by valerieestelle
From Vienna and have been studying in London for the past 2.5 years. First thing I'm doing after my MSc is done in Sep 2015 is moving back home!

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask what you've been studying in London? And how much do you need to spend each month as an EU student? (I'm from Germany so it's pretty much the same like Austria :biggrin:)
Original post by Hanover
May I ask what you've been studying in London? And how much do you need to spend each month as an EU student? (I'm from Germany so it's pretty much the same like Austria :biggrin:)

Hi :smile: I've been studying Psychology at Queen Mary and just received an offer to do my MSc in Human Resources at LSE in the autumn. I spend like 900 pounds per month, but that is excluding bills (e.g. phone), accommodation and my tuition fees. I'm quite lucky because the year I started my BSc was the last year before the fees were raised to like 9,000 pounds :P What are you studying?
Reply 11
Hi :smile: I've been studying Psychology at Queen Mary and just received an offer to do my MSc in Human Resources at LSE in the autumn. I spend like 900 pounds per month, but that is excluding bills (e.g. phone), accommodation and my tuition fees. I'm quite lucky because the year I started my BSc was the last year before the fees were raised to like 9,000 pounds :P What are you studying?

Wow, Psychology at Queen Mary is a very competitive course right?? :smile: And congrats on your offer from LSE! I got an offer from Queen Mary as well for Economics and Finance but I'm going to choose Cass Business School since their offer grades are closer to my current grades (1.4) and QMUL only wants 1.8 Abitur.
Oh dear, so that's going to be expensive -.-
Original post by Hanover
Wow, Psychology at Queen Mary is a very competitive course right?? :smile: And congrats on your offer from LSE! I got an offer from Queen Mary as well for Economics and Finance but I'm going to choose Cass Business School since their offer grades are closer to my current grades (1.4) and QMUL only wants 1.8 Abitur.
Oh dear, so that's going to be expensive -.-

Haha thanks! Well it isn't as competitive as some other universities, because Psychology is a relatively new BSc offered by QMUL. That's great! Cass has a really good reputation. I'm not familiar with Abitur grades (or Austrian Matura even) because I went to the American School in Vienna and did the IB. LSE is quite expensive - the programme I was accepted to will cost over 20,000 pounds whereas some other universities offer a MSc in HR for half that amount. I reckon Cass is quite expensive too, or?
Reply 13
Haha thanks! Well it isn't as competitive as some other universities, because Psychology is a relatively new BSc offered by QMUL. That's great! Cass has a really good reputation. I'm not familiar with Abitur grades (or Austrian Matura even) because I went to the American School in Vienna and did the IB. LSE is quite expensive - the programme I was accepted to will cost over 20,000 pounds whereas some other universities offer a MSc in HR for half that amount. I reckon Cass is quite expensive too, or?

Oh but I've heard somewhere that Psychology courses are quite prestigeous at QMUL :biggrin:. Oh sorry, I guess if I convert my grades to IB, it would be 39 points (according to the German ministry of education).
Cass is actually affordable for undergraduates with 9000 pounds a year (like many other unis) but it's insanely expensive for postgraduates since most of the courses require you to pay 24.000 pounds for a 1-year-course (MSc)
Original post by Hanover
Oh but I've heard somewhere that Psychology courses are quite prestigeous at QMUL :biggrin:. Oh sorry, I guess if I convert my grades to IB, it would be 39 points (according to the German ministry of education).
Cass is actually affordable for undergraduates with 9000 pounds a year (like many other unis) but it's insanely expensive for postgraduates since most of the courses require you to pay 24.000 pounds for a 1-year-course (MSc)

Oh wow well done! Did you apply to LSE then too? Where did you do your BSc?
Reply 15
Oh wow well done! Did you apply to LSE then too? Where did you do your BSc?

Oh wait, there was a misunderstanding :biggrin:, I'm not going to do my MSc but BSc at Cass :smile: I didn't make it clear, sorry.
I could've applied to LSE with my grades but I thought I'm not good enough for their competitive courses, now I regret it a little but well, I still have a chance to do my MSc there after Cass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending