The Student Room Group

Internship accommodation London

I'm starting to consider my options for the coming summer, and have been looking around online at central-ish london accomodation to stay in during the summer, and was wondering if anyone could share experiences and/or advice about what to look for and consider when searching?

Do people recommend staying in UoL student halls or renting from other sources?

Is it best to rent in the centre and walk/take short tube ride or live somewhere a bit further out (zone 2-3) and have a longer commute?

So far I've only really considered halls, two of which I quite like that are central and seem nice are £30 and £40 a day (£210 and £280) a week; is this good value (considering it includes wifi etc) or can I find better?

Really appreciate any help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by FDR
I'm starting to consider my options for the coming summer, and have been looking around online at central-ish london accomodation to stay in during the summer, and was wondering if anyone could share experiences and/or advice about what to look for and consider when searching?

Do people recommend staying in UoL student halls or renting from other sources?

Is it best to rent in the centre and walk/take short tube ride or live somewhere a bit further out (zone 2-3) and have a longer commute?

So far I've only really considered halls, two of which I quite like that are central and seem nice are £30 and £40 a day (£210 and £280) a week; is this good value (considering it includes wifi etc) or can I find better?

Really appreciate any help :smile:

£210 all inclusive is pretty good if you're truly in Central London, £280 is a bit expensive most definitely. I would advise you against staying outside of Zone 2 (a good option in Zone 2 could be Claredale's House, which I believe is between £150-170 with wifi/all other bills included) and it is in superb location if you will be working in the City or Canary Wharf, not ideal for Mayfair.
Reply 2
Claredale House.
Reply 3
Thanks for the help; Claredale House looks great, but it would be a bit of a commute for me (Google maps makes it 40 mins on the tube) as I'll be working near Green park :frown:

Do most interns who don't live in London generally use UoL halls or do they rent flats/apartments?
Reply 4
Original post by FDR
Thanks for the help; Claredale House looks great, but it would be a bit of a commute for me (Google maps makes it 40 mins on the tube) as I'll be working near Green park :frown:

Do most interns who don't live in London generally use UoL halls or do they rent flats/apartments?

It would actually be more like 30 minutes, but it is still far if you'll be in Mayfair. Lazard by any chance?

It's a mix of both to be honest. Halls are often just a bit cheaper.
Not me- but my boyfriend went into a flat-share when he did his summer internship over 6 years ago. He waited until last minute and took over a room in a share for the summer as the occupant was travelling over the summer months. You can always find accommodation in London.

Depending on whether or not your willing to share will be the ultimate decider in cost. You are better going into halls if you want a bit more privacy- but flatshares are cheaper over all.

We have said when we buy our house next year we won't get a lodger- but will consider letting out to students doing summer internships as to make a bit of money over the summer.
Reply 6
Original post by The_Answer!
It would actually be more like 30 minutes, but it is still far if you'll be in Mayfair. Lazard by any chance?

It's a mix of both to be honest. Halls are often just a bit cheaper.

30 minutes doesn't sound too awful... - given that the next cheapest I've found, which is International Hall in Lambeth, works out at about £220 a week and is about a 10-15 minute commute on the tube, then for the sake of saving about £50 a week its probably worth considering.

I'm at HSBC, but interning in AM, which is in central London rather than Canary Wharf.

I'm certainly more inclined towards staying in Halls; I just wasn't sure what most people did and didn't really want to end up paying over the odds. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 7
Interesting thread, can't really help.

How far is too far? Is >45mins going to be stressful/annoying during a trading internship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I have a room to rent near canary wharf if you still need one over the summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest