The Student Room Group

How much do you spend on food per week ?

I am curious as to how much do you guys spend on food per week ?

Please include as to whether it includes takeaways, coffee and lunch that you buy at work.

Scroll to see replies

I would say around £25 and I tend to hit subways, mcd's or chesters during lunch
Reply 2
I'd say about £25 as well. It would be about £20 but the occasional dominos/kfc/bottle of wine with dinner most likely bumps it up.
Reply 3
Main food shop is £20 between 2 people. Maybe another £5 on milk/bread and bits and pieces during the week. Probably eat out or get take away once or twice a month (ranging from £10-20 between us).

I generally spend another £10/£15 on lunches/coffee a week but that's mostly out of laziness (like there is bread and stuff at home usually, I could make a sandwich, just I can't be bothered).
Reply 4
Probably around £50, I base my food around my gym, which is mainly chicken/steak, and other high protein foods. (which usually costs quite a bit unless I get lucky at night time in Tesco)
Around £35-£40, I buy a lot of fruit/vegetables and fresh meat so it's a bit more expensive than I'd like but I couldn't live off ready meals and crap food.
Reply 6
About £20 for both work and home
Reply 7
I've read a daily mail yesterday online and in one comment somebody said that they spend 10 quid per week. I am wondering as to whether that would be possible...
Reply 8
Far too much...
£15-£20

Although it can be more expensive if I'm buying bulk items or cheaper if I harvest vegetables and fruits from my allotment in season :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by 22.
I've read a daily mail yesterday online and in one comment somebody said that they spend 10 quid per week. I am wondering as to whether that would be possible...

Yes that's definitely possible, just have to buy value stuff and not eat out.
Reply 11
hmm I think I will try my best and attempt to live on 10 quid a week.
I've been to Sainsbury's recently and they have a new basics line which is very cheap. I spent 10.80 quid altogether, but some of the things I bought would last till next week as well.

I guess it's a good way to write down your schedule and what you are going to eat day, using the products you bought.
That's why you do not risk throwing away any food that went overdate and know exactly what you cook. I am certain that this could save a lot of money!
Reply 12
Original post by Flauta
Yes that's definitely possible, just have to buy value stuff and not eat out.

I never eat out.
I think the key is to write down what you're going to eat whole week and allocate bought products accordingly.
Reply 13
Shopping alone? Anywhere from £15-25, depending on my tastes that week and what offers are on.

Not entirely sure including buying lunch, having takeaways and going for coffee. Probably add an extra £10-20 depending on how much money I have and how hectic the week is.
Reply 14
Original post by 22.
I never eat out.
I think the key is to write down what you're going to eat whole week and allocate bought products accordingly.

Yep that's what my family does, and on certain nights we'll always eat the same thing and if we accidentally make too much use it for lunch the next day :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Flauta
Yep that's what my family does, and on certain nights we'll always eat the same thing and if we accidentally make too much use it for lunch the next day :smile:

Then I am convinced! I shall be doing the same then. Started this week and so far it is going well.
It makes much more sense, as I can keep track on what products I have and I do not have to think what I have for breakfast as it's already written down.

I don't mind having the same thing for lunch/breakfast every day for a week or so.
Reply 16
Last year I've been spending rougly 25 quid a week. I think it is mainly down to the fact that I did not plan and also because I used to drink many veggie and fruit smoothies.
When I think of it now it was very expensive...
Reply 17
I spend around £50 tbh. I never drink water/tea always juice. Lots of ice-cream and meat.
Reply 18
Probably about £25-30. Sure, it could be less but I cook for scratch and I do like my takeaway coffee and occasional glass of wine. I buy meat for the butcher, it costs a bit more, but I swear it goes further.
Reply 19
Too much, but thats because I eat lot of takeaways and eat out etc, rarely eat at home. Look for cheap deals on Supermarket sites, could easily be done with £20.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending