The Student Room Group

Sick of being the target of all banter

Rahhh.

It's driving me mental.

Ok so I wouldn't say I'm a funny person, but I'm a funny character. If you watch New Girl then I'm very Schmidt like - I'm pretty quirky I guess. I'm not particularly capable of fine wit and I'm not a great story teller so generally I make people laugh by acting outlandish. It's more a case of laughing at me I guess but I'm self deprecating so I'm always part of the laugh. It's not necessarily a bad thing as I'm well liked and I can come across charming.

Unfortunately it makes me an easy target for banter. I generally don't mind the banter, it can actually be quite funny, and rarely genuinely offends me. But tbh it's relentless and it gets tiresome to always be on edge, waiting for the next pop. If I had the wit, I'd turn the tables but I often can't conjure it up quick enough so I just laugh it off. Obviously I'm so inoffensive back that I'm an easy target again.

I often find myself in this role in groups I join (university and work, quite respected at home for some reason). I'd just like to know if anybody knows how I can avoid taking up this role in future when I meet a new group of people? How do I get my current friends to back off a bit?
Reply 1
If you get angry, smack them, they probably will never do it again.
Reply 2
Don't say banter. It's a bad word.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending