The Student Room Group

Would you be impressed if your crush went oxbridge? even if...

...they later dropped out?

your opinion?
I couldn't care less.
Meh.. they were able to get into Oxbridge ^_^
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
I couldn't care less.

about them going Oxbridge or them dropping out?
Reply 4
Neither of those things would bother me. :dontknow:
Reply 5
Honestly, I hate feeling stupid in comparison to somebody.
So as long as it was something like history, journalism or a language, I wouldn't be bothered.
Reply 6
Who cares what we think. Its what you think that matters. If we thought it was great or worse, why would and why should that have any influence on what you think about it?
Reply 7
Original post by CJKay
Honestly, I hate feeling stupid in comparison to somebody.
So as long as it was something like history, journalism or a language, I wouldn't be bothered.

So you wouldn't feel stupid if you were with someone who studied History or a language at Oxbridge?
It sounds like you're saying that History and language degrees aren't intellectual subjects, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Doing a degree in Maths or science is no more impressive than a degree in History; they're equally challenging in their own ways.
I hate feeling stupid in comparison to people too, but intelligence is not based on whether you choose to study sciences or humanities.
Rant over. I just get so annoyed when people imply that degrees in subjects like History and languages aren't as good as science degrees.
Reply 8
Original post by Écrivaine
So you wouldn't feel stupid if you were with someone who studied History or a language at Oxbridge?
It sounds like you're saying that History and language degrees aren't intellectual subjects, and that couldn't be further from the truth. Doing a degree in Maths or science is no more impressive than a degree in History; they're equally challenging in their own ways.
I hate feeling stupid in comparison to people too, but intelligence is not based on whether you choose to study sciences or humanities.
Rant over. I just get so annoyed when people imply that degrees in subjects like History and languages aren't as good as science degrees.

You appear to have mistaken my post.
I'd like to think I'd learn something completely unrelated to my course from a partner, which is why I would prefer they did such a subject. I have an interest in things like history, but obviously don't have an infinite amount of time to study them myself.
Nothing against the courses or people themselves except if it's art or media studies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Life does not revolve around Oxbridge, so no, it wouldn't bother me if they dropped out :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Why would I? I think I'd respect him more for having the balls to drop out, which I don't suspect many people would.
Yeah, I'd be impressed, but it hardly matters anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by CJKay
You appear to have mistaken my post.
I'd like to think I'd learn something completely unrelated to my course from a partner, which is why I would prefer they did such a subject. I have an interest in things like history, but obviously don't have an infinite amount of time to study them myself.
Nothing against the courses or people themselves except if it's art or media studies.

Ah, I have mistaken your post! Many apologies. :smile:
Now that I know what you mean, I completely agree with you. I study English, French and History (though you may have gathered that from my post - some people are quick to dismiss my subjects and I'm quite defensive about it), and my boyfriend studies Biology, Chemistry and Physics. As we're both studying completely subjects, it's interesting to learn new things from each other, and there's no feeling of competition. :smile:

And considering what this thread's actually about, I should add that we've both ended up being invited to interviews in our respective subjects (English and Biochem) at Oxford, so in answer to the thread's question, even if he ends up in Oxford and I don't, I'll still be impressed/proud of him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending