The Student Room Group

Why is smoking more popular among the working classes?

Just Google this for sources. And I am sure most have anecdotally observed this.

So why is it more popular among the working classes? Why do they enjoy dragging on a cigarette?

Scroll to see replies

I haven't noticed this to be the case.
Reply 2
Because being working-class is so **** they need vices to make life bearable.
Reply 3
Upper classes do cocaine.
Reply 4
Maybe stress relief.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Addict ion
because of a lack of development of the brain which leads to higher susceptibility to addiction.

not really, who the **** knows, or cares.
So that they can bleat on about how there benefits are being cut while they smoke 50 a day. It just seems bizarre. Spend a fortune on cigs yet moan on about how they have no money.
Working Class People really are a weird breed. But I won't have anything to do with them!

They smoke because probably a chav outside the chippy told them to smoke, otherwise "u aint gonna b in our gang bruv!!!1!!!1!!!1"

:rolleyes:
Reply 9
Would like to see stats that back this up.

Regardless of class, you will always see people smoking, upper class just wont portray it as much in public.
Original post by uktotalgamer
So that they can bleat on about how there benefits are being cut while they smoke 50 a day. It just seems bizarre. Spend a fortune on cigs yet moan on about how they have no money.

You do understand that working class people aren't usually reliant on benefits.
More stress.
Original post by PQ

The term 'Working Class' has broadened to include those that are on benefits. I was going on what I assume is most people's definition of it. However, I would split it into the lower working class that I generalise. Go up North and see what I mean.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
"As my mother would put it, people from those lower socio-economic categories have very few pleasures in life and one of them they regard as smoking." Source.
I suppose it's just to do with general behaviour ...
Reply 15
Because we need lung cancer in order to claim health benefits, init.
Original post by uktotalgamer
The term 'Working Class' has broadened to include those that are on benefits.

Maybe in your head - officially working class is used as a shortcut for NS-SEC groups 4-7 or 5-7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Statistics_Socio-economic_Classification

Not group 8
Reply 17
Originally Posted by PQ

The term 'Working Class' has broadened to include those that are on benefits. I was going on what I assume is most people's definition of it. Working Class generally is the same as 'Scumbag' now. However, I would split it into the lower working class that I generalise. Go up North and see what I mean.

Those who are dependent on benefits for example are referred to as the 'underclass' in some academic literature. But I agree with the generalisation. I think this title has been stigmatised by the media too as they now include the working class with this group.

It could be said that it is lack of education. Apparently, fewer people smoke when they have a university degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by awe
"As my mother would put it, people from those lower socio-economic categories have very few pleasures in life and one of them they regard as smoking." Source.

Which is dated in 2004.
Reply 19
Original post by utr
Which is dated in 2004.

I'm sorry, has what people take pleasure in changed so drastically in the last nine years that the selected quote is incorrect? I don't feel it has, particularly with regards to cigarettes. I did not use the entire article, most of which is irrelevant to the topic, instead I chose that quote as it was my answer to the OP's question without appropriating. The date is irrelevant, the point is still valid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending