The Student Room Group

I think I've applied for the wrong course

What to do at uni has been a really difficult decision for me - I really love all my A Levels (History, French, Maths and Further Maths.) I eventually decided and submitted an application for History at Cambridge and History and French at Manchester, St Andrews and Edinburgh in October. I've got an interview at Cambridge and an offer from Manchester, but I think that it's a mistake - I really don't want to give up maths and I am really, really not enjoying the history prep I'm doing for my interview.

Can anyone advise? :frown: I've obviously still got a 5th choice left on my UCAS form, and I like the look of UCL's Maths with Modern Languages course - am I likely to be even considered with a personal statement for history/french?

Thanks, any advice greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Email admissions and ask if you can submit a seperated personal statement, stress your passion to studu maths, convince them you are truly dedicated to studying it
Original post by Vernish
What to do at uni has been a really difficult decision for me - I really love all my A Levels (History, French, Maths and Further Maths.) I eventually decided and submitted an application for History at Cambridge and History and French at Manchester, St Andrews and Edinburgh in October. I've got an interview at Cambridge and an offer from Manchester, but I think that it's a mistake - I really don't want to give up maths and I am really, really not enjoying the history prep I'm doing for my interview.

Can anyone advise? :frown: I've obviously still got a 5th choice left on my UCAS form, and I like the look of UCL's Maths with Modern Languages course - am I likely to be even considered with a personal statement for history/french?

UCL will have plenty of highly qualified candidates who have targeted their applications at the course. They won't need to be kind to someone who doesn't even mention the major element of the course in their ps. You could consider declining or withdrawing from any applications you have put in and wait until Extra opens in February if you want to change direction. It's common for universities to allow you to submit a second ps then.
Reply 3
OK, how easy would it be to change course at the above unis? (Obviously assuming I meet the entry requirements for the new course)

Original post by carnationlilyrose
UCL will have plenty of highly qualified candidates who have targeted their applications at the course. They won't need to be kind to someone who doesn't even mention the major element of the course in their ps. You could consider declining or withdrawing from any applications you have put in and wait until Extra opens in February if you want to change direction. It's common for universities to allow you to submit a second ps then.

Do you think it's not even worth me emailing admissions now then?
Original post by Vernish

Bear in mind that maths at degree level is totally different to A-level. Like, unrecognisable in comparison. You should maybe have a look at a bit of real analysis or linear algebra and see if that's stuff you're still interested in before going to all the trouble of changing choices / courses.
Original post by Vernish
OK, how easy would it be to change course at the above unis? (Obviously assuming I meet the entry requirements for the new course)

Do you think it's not even worth me emailing admissions now then?

Emails cost nothing and it will tell you once and for all. Up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending