The Student Room Group

Good German and French TV programmes/films?

Hey-ho!

Was wondering if anyone knew any good resources for TV shows/films in German and French. I studied both at A-level and am on a gap year and wanting to continue learning them before I go to uni (where I will hopefully study German/do a year abroad in Germany) and think TV shows/films would be a good way to do so since i'm not an avid reader.
Reply 1
Bump de bump (boop ba da)
Original post by Scratchyjam
Bump de bump (boop ba da)

(ba doo be doo ba dum)

Hello again :awesome: Here are a few German films worth seeing in my opinion:

Das Experiment
Goodbye Lenin!
Das Leben der Anderen
Der Baader-Meinhoff Komplex
The Edukators/Die Fetten Jahren sind Vorbei
Lola Rennt
Die Fälscher
Die Welle

I was also advised by a native German speaker that dubbed versions of English films tend to be slightly easier to follow, so you might want to give that a go too :yy:
Reply 3
Tatort, woooho. Quality varies widely, look for the ones with Thiel and Börne.
Reply 4
Emil und Die detective is a classic goodbye Lenin is also good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
A fun one is Berlin Tag und Nacht, es ist wine Realitat Show (Aber ich glaub nicht dass es dein Deutsch verbessern wird)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by The Polymath
(ba doo be doo ba dum)

Hello again :awesome: Here are a few German films worth seeing in my opinion:

Das Experiment
Goodbye Lenin!
Das Leben der Anderen
Der Baader-Meinhoff Komplex
The Edukators/Die Fetten Jahren sind Vorbei
Lola Rennt
Die Fälscher
Die Welle

I was also advised by a native German speaker that dubbed versions of English films tend to be slightly easier to follow, so you might want to give that a go too :yy:

Cheers buddy

Yeah i've already seen quite a few of those - Die fetten Jahren sind Vorbei is such a good film!

Good shout, I think I might start watching German dubbed South Park. That will definitely be interesting to watch haha
Reply 7
Original post by Sir Fox
Tatort, woooho. Quality varies widely, look for the ones with Thiel and Börne.

Yeah i've heard of Tatort, it's like a detective programme isn't it? That might be good as i'm partial to a good crime thriller. Do you know of a website to watch these on?
Cheers buddy

Yeah i've already seen quite a few of those - Die fetten Jahren sind Vorbei is such a good film!

Good shout, I think I might start watching German dubbed South Park. That will definitely be interesting to watch haha

Good luck :colondollar: I can imagine South Park being near-impossible to follow. Something like Scrubs might be a little better to begin with. :yy:
Reply 9
Original post by The Polymath
Good luck :colondollar: I can imagine South Park being near-impossible to follow. Something like Scrubs might be a little better to begin with. :yy:

True, but hopefully i'll pick up some Umgangssprache along the way as i've not found it particularly easy speaking in a youthy sort of way
For German there's "Lena, Liebe meines Lebens" which is an adaptation of a South American telenovela, so it's truly terrible television but great fun - it's on YouTube.
Les Choristes is a good French film. You can watch the whole film on youtube (although it has english subtitles).
Reply 12
Yeah i've heard of Tatort, it's like a detective programme isn't it? That might be good as i'm partial to a good crime thriller. Do you know of a website to watch these on?

Tatort is a German tradition. It's produced by the state television and there are versions of many major German cities (Cologne, Munich etc.), so you usually get a new Tatort ever Sunday evening, but the location and team varies.

Now, Tatort usually doesn't have the quality of something like Luther, Sherlock or the likes, but it's generally enjoyable and some teams are really good, especially Thiel and Börne, but in this case more because they make a really funny team :biggrin:

For some foreigners' reaction to Tatort, please refer to GIF one on this page :biggrin:
Reply 13
Anything on VOX during the daytime is great for background TV haha. Hilf mir doch!, Verklag mich doch!, Mieten Kaufen Wohnen, all those great programs.
Reply 14
'The Returned' is French with English subtitles, and it was on Channel 4 so I'm guessing it's on 4od. As for movies, there's La Haine, Lol, Amélie, Paris je t'aime, Mesrine (really good)...the only German I know is Das kabinet des Dr Caligari though :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Sir Fox
Tatort is a German tradition. It's produced by the state television and there are versions of many major German cities (Cologne, Munich etc.), so you usually get a new Tatort ever Sunday evening, but the location and team varies.

Now, Tatort usually doesn't have the quality of something like Luther, Sherlock or the likes, but it's generally enjoyable and some teams are really good, especially Thiel and Börne, but in this case more because they make a really funny team :biggrin:

For some foreigners' reaction to Tatort, please refer to GIF one on this page :biggrin:

ah i see

haha those GIFs are brilliant
French films:
Intouchables - the most incredible film
Rabbi Jacob (or any film with Louis de Funes) - sooo funny!

French TV programme:
Un diner presque parfait - light hearted, easy-going programme that's fun to watch :smile:
Reply 17
Definitely watch Intouchable! Might also like bienvenue chez les ch'tis, diner de cons and la gloire de mon père, and je vais bien ne t'en fais pas!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Engrenages- Spiral's the english name. Highly addictive French police drama, very well done. My French teacher got me absolutely hooked for a good few months.

For French films- If you wanted to really appreciate French film culture watch some Nouvelle Vague (les quatres cents coups is my favourite)
Or some more modern options- as others have said, La Haine, Amelie, also Amour which was very recently released. (but is probably the most depressing film you'll ever watch)

Can't help you with German, sorry.
Reply 19
As for the Tatort, it should be available in the ARD website's Mediathek for a limited amount of time after broadcast.

You could also watch Inglorious Bastards without subtitles, if such a version is available. Nice mix of English, German and French. Zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending