The Student Room Group

Why do women watch so much rubbish on tv

Cant be the only one who has noticed this .
its becoming an epidemic

Shows like,im a celebrity,big brother,x factor,coronation street etc .

Scroll to see replies

I do not know whether it is just women but certainly any type of big brother, x factor, coronation street are vile. Also disgusting is loose women. I am against the death penalty but in the case of the case for all of these I would happily make an exception. Replace this anti intellectual nonsense with documentaries such as World at War or Nazi's A Warning from History, or televise academic debating.
I guess the reality tv thing probably appeals to those who buy gossip magazines. Even blokes come along for the ride. We're social animals, perhaps we just like being people watchers.
Why do MOST* women...!

I don't watch any TV at all. Pretty sure there are others! Paraphrase better.

Back to your question- most humans are, to a degree, voyeuristic by nature. TV networks know that and reap profits off of this tendency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it that most of the viewing audience for reality tv and shows such as I'm a Celebrity are women, or that women talk about them and men about other things?
Original post by AristoBrat!
Why do MOST* women...!

Back to your question- most humans are, to a degree, voyeuristic by nature. TV networks know that and reap profits off of this tendency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not even most women, they probably get a maximum of 10 million views (including catch up services, irregular viewers etc.) each with some overlap between viewers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by AristoBrat!
Why do MOST* women...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your anal retentive response made me think of this recent thread.
You'll have to ask them.
Reply 8
I know what you mean: both my mum and my sister as well as my gf, when she's around, hog the TV every weekend watching utter shi ite like Strictly Come Dancing, X Factor, Take Me Out, Brtain's Got Talent, Downton Abbey etc, and then they have the audacity to complain and make a point of leaving the room when I put Match of the Day on. :rolleyes:
I know loads of guys who watch a lot of reality shows & soaps aswell as woman. Probably more females, but still.

I love 'Have I Got News For You' - is that rubbish TV?
says you....
Reply 11
Original post by Futility
I know what you mean: both my mum and my sister as well as my gf, when she's around, hog the TV every weekend watching utter shi ite like Strictly Come Dancing, X Factor, Take Me Out, Brtain's Got Talent, Downton Abbey etc, and then they have the audacity to complain and make a point of leaving the room when I put Match of the Day on. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with Strictly Come Dancing? Dance has been a form of entertainment for hundreds of years...
And Downton Abbey is a period drama, it's not rubbish at all.

And then you have the audacity to mention Match of the Day. :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Rational Thinker
Replace this anti intellectual nonsense with documentaries such as World at War or Nazi's A Warning from History, or televise academic debating.

Well aren't you quite the intellectual. :rolleyes:
Original post by pandabird
What's wrong with Strictly Come Dancing? Dance has been a form of entertainment for hundreds of years...
And Downton Abbey is a period drama, it's not rubbish at all.

And then you have the audacity to mention Match of the Day. :rolleyes:

If Downton Abbey is a period drama then Eastenders is intellectual social commentary.
Original post by pandabird
Well aren't you quite the intellectual. :rolleyes:

You cannot deny that most of the viewing on television is pretty awful. If this country wants better educational standards then it needs to have more educational viewing and less anti intellectual
viewing such as "Eastenders". I am against the death penalty but I think I would make an exception for the actors in soap operas. Also both World at War and Nazi's A Warning From History are pretty populist.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
It's ''some'' women not ''most'' may I say in defence towards that statement made.
I don't have time for TV, never do my priority is just education and most spare times are spent here on TSR, that's about it really. No soups, no reality shows, no nothing just reading books or TSR ^^.
I do not know whether it is just women but certainly any type of big brother, x factor, coronation street are vile. Also disgusting is loose women. I am against the death penalty but in the case of the case for all of these I would happily make an exception. Replace this anti intellectual nonsense with documentaries such as World at War or Nazi's A Warning from History, or televise academic debating.

I bet you're a hoot at dinner parties.
I don't watch any of the programmes OP suggested. I've never got into classic soaps or talent shows, but I do religiously watch Dr Who. Otherwise it's a case of choosing something from what's on the TV at the time, e.g. The Big Bang Theory, QI, or Have I Got News For You. I don't complain when dad ticks the rugby on, or we watch athletics or tennis because I appreciate that everyone has their preferences. I do think a lot of what people have got into watching is because of the influence of an older sibling or parent and their tastes: I'd never have started watching QI and Have I Got News For You if my parents hadn't already started!
Should be "why do all the women I know (about 2) watch ****e TV?"
Reply 19

You cannot deny that most of the viewing on television is pretty awful. If this country wants better educational standards then it needs to have more educational viewing and less anti intellectual
viewing such as "Eastenders". I am against the death penalty but I think I would make an exception for the actors in soap operas. Also both World at War and Nazi's A Warning From History are pretty populist.

hey, quick question, what are your views on the death penalty?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending