The Student Room Group

Nail biting issues

What's the best nail product to use to prevent nail biting? I've seen some but prefer someone who already used to share their experiences :tongue: I don't want to buy something and later regret that it doesn't work at all.
Original post by ForgetMe
What's the best nail product to use to prevent nail biting? I've seen some but prefer someone who already used to share their experiences :tongue: I don't want to buy something and later regret that it doesn't work at all.

This.
Someone I used to know, used it.
I don't. I have sexy nails.
I used to use a solution that was a sponge thing that you shoved each of your fingers into - but it made all food taste disgusting. Putting plasters on your fingers is the best, as it starts to make you aware of when you're doing it. But I looked a bit silly. Worked though!
Reply 3
Original post by Kezza Wilson
This.
Someone I used to know, used it.
I don't. I have sexy nails.

I can bite your nails off and you won't have sexy nails :teehee:

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I used to use a solution that was a sponge thing that you shoved each of your fingers into - but it made all food taste disgusting. Putting plasters on your fingers is the best, as it starts to make you aware of when you're doing it. But I looked a bit silly. Worked though!

I remember using transparent nail polish but then again still continued to bite nails with horrible face expressions due to awful taste :laugh: Plasters wouldn't help because I would simply take them off :tongue: When I was younger, I used to also bite my feet nails off but now I can't bend that far :toofunny:
I can bite your nails off and you won't have sexy nails :teehee:

Someone would be a very angry bunny! :teehee:
Reply 5
Original post by Kezza Wilson
Someone would be a very angry bunny! :teehee:

I can imagine situation when someone waves with their sexy nails and I just bite them off :teehee:
I can imagine situation when someone waves with their sexy nails and I just bite them off :teehee:

Oh... :eek4:
Reply 7
That 'stop n grow' product is good but personally it didn't work for me even though I tried to use it three or four times. The taste is bad but not bad enough to put you off the nail biting.

I haven't tried the plaster thing but I guess it could work if you have loads of plasters and want to keep buying them.

I had bitten my nails for probable over 10 years until I finally found something that worked..

Boots have their own brand product to stop nail biting called 'expert nail biting solution' which may now have been replaced with another name, I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, the taste of this is really, really bad and it lasts as well! You have to be able to commit to applying the solution each day, and then continue to for a good month or two with the same commitment when you feel that the habit is broken. I found to begin with, when using this product was to do small things like use nail files to smooth nails out (nail biting often occurs because the biter sees imperfections in their hands and tries to correct it with biting), also wear gloves more, always have plenty of chewing gum to chew when you think you might bite your nails (this will distract you)! One other thing is to recognise when you are biting your nails, try and link it to how you may feel at the time. For example I was biting nails more when I felt anxious or bored, this will make you think more about what you are doing.

It is not an easy habit to break, and takes time - but it is definitely worth it!

Hope this has helped!!!
I still have problems with nail biting but its no where near as bad. I used the solutions that make it taste disgusting but after a while just got used to the taste. Got nailed a few times as punishment because my nails were untidy in the army. I did the plaster method although it looks really odd and its a waste having to continuously apply plasters.
Reply 9
Original post by dr95
That 'stop n grow' product is good but personally it didn't work for me even though I tried to use it three or four times. The taste is bad but not bad enough to put you off the nail biting.

I haven't tried the plaster thing but I guess it could work if you have loads of plasters and want to keep buying them.

I had bitten my nails for probable over 10 years until I finally found something that worked..

Boots have their own brand product to stop nail biting called 'expert nail biting solution' which may now have been replaced with another name, I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, the taste of this is really, really bad and it lasts as well! You have to be able to commit to applying the solution each day, and then continue to for a good month or two with the same commitment when you feel that the habit is broken. I found to begin with, when using this product was to do small things like use nail files to smooth nails out (nail biting often occurs because the biter sees imperfections in their hands and tries to correct it with biting), also wear gloves more, always have plenty of chewing gum to chew when you think you might bite your nails (this will distract you)! One other thing is to recognise when you are biting your nails, try and link it to how you may feel at the time. For example I was biting nails more when I felt anxious or bored, this will make you think more about what you are doing.

It is not an easy habit to break, and takes time - but it is definitely worth it!

Hope this has helped!!!

Well, that stop n grow made me not to bite my nails for whole 2 days! :gah:

Haha, I used to chew my pens years ago and ends of all my pens were chewed :laugh:

Original post by Malevolent
I still have problems with nail biting but its no where near as bad. I used the solutions that make it taste disgusting but after a while just got used to the taste. Got nailed a few times as punishment because my nails were untidy in the army. I did the plaster method although it looks really odd and its a waste having to continuously apply plasters.

Oh let me to bite nails for you :hubba: I only bite them because I don't get the result with scissors or nail clippers that I want, so find nail biting an easier and quicker option to get my nails shorter :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest