The Student Room Group

I'm 13 and I have an online relationship; is it okay?

I know this question might make people think "NO" immediately but please hear me out.

I was twelve, and I met him on an online game for kids. We played together occasionally, and talked about minor stuff. After a while, we started talking about more thought-provoking stuff; I found him interesting, but I didn't like him just yet. I found out he was fourteen and lived in Thailand after a conversation we had. A couple of months later, he asks me if I have Skype. I told him I didn't, and for a couple of weeks after that, he gently persuaded me to. I decided to download it after a little while. I turned on webcam, but as soon as he answered the call, I ducked out of the view of the camera and hanged up. He was a bit disappointed about this, but I talked to him (through typing) about how I was self-conscious about it. He told me not to worry about it, and he called me again. He spoke, but I didn't because I was scared. We have been Skyping contiguously; all of those times I haven't spoke... until a few weeks earlier from now. It was a really nice chat.

He came to England a little before his fifteenth birthday, and asked me to meet up with him. At this point, I thought he was fake because I had only seen one picture of him and only heard his voice (anyone can use a voice modulator and get a fake picture off the internet), so I said "Maybe" to play for time. I'm sure he's real because:

I've heard his family speak in Thai, and seen his mum twice (she kissed him on the cheek when he was on webcam, and she walked past his laptop when he was in the toilet)

I've seen his face on many occasions through pictures and webcam

I have heard his friend speak as well (his friend was over for a sleepover and he Skyped me)

He can speak Thai

I've seen his Facebook page

A little after my 13th birthday, I got a phone for my birthday; I was so happy. I told him, and he asked if I wanted to talk on Kik with him; I said yes. We've been Skyping and talking on Kik contiguously, and then he told me that he liked someone. I implored him to tell me who, and after playing for time, he told me that he liked me, and asked me if I liked him back; I said yes. Our relationship improved from then, and we talked about more meaningful stuff. He's always been there for me and I'm grateful I can speak to him. In either December or early 2014, he says he's likely to come to the UK. I want to meet him; I plan to meet him somewhere with people around (like a coffee shop).

Do you think this relationship is okay?
wow it sounds really nice, I just don't like the ages :/ 15 - 13. If it was 16 - 16... would of been a lot better

At that age.. the age gap is quite big :/
I find this really adorable tbh....but you're still young so I can see why people would say that this isn't okay. Idk, why not bring a friend along when you do meet, just to be safe.
Reply 3
I've never met a 13 year old who could use semicolons and knew what "contiguously" meant.
I'm dubious of this thread.
Man, you are more sensible than many girls i know at 24
I think you already know the answer to your question and already know what precautions you should take. Follow them and you'll be fine, good luck!
Public places and friend as a safety net.

I am personally extremely worried about any relationship over the internet - especially in this case due to beginning whilst you were 12.

Tell your parents when/if you do meet him.
Reply 6
Thanks for your posts. ^_^

I don't have any friends, but I'll try to meet him in a populous place. Thank you for all the support!
Reply 7
Original post by liamjjohnson
wow it sounds really nice, I just don't like the ages :/ 15 - 13. If it was 16 - 16... would of been a lot better

At that age.. the age gap is quite big :/

The age gap did seem kind of large at first, but as time has passed, it barely affects me.
Reply 8
Original post by CJKay
I've never met a 13 year old who could use semicolons and knew what "contiguously" meant.
I'm dubious of this thread.

:laugh:

I assure you, I'm 13.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending