The Student Room Group

Retaking a GCSE at A level

I am studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry at A level.
Targeted A's in everything, although there are no predicted grades yet.

For chemistry GCSE I got a B. The reason for this being that our teacher taught us about 10% of the course in Year 10 and then was not able to teach us the remaining 90 in year 11 (thank god they have now left for my A levels). Out of seven modules in total, we learnt about 4, not to mention we hadn't even started any controlled assessment. :mad:

What will universities think if I retake this GCSE in my AS year? I am not planning on applying to oxbridge, but I do want to go to imperial college to do medicine, and for this I need an A. My new teacher says that they will make all the necessary arrangements, as there was only one person who got an A in my entire year.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
I'd email Imperial.. Who better to answer your question?
Reply 2
I'd check see if Imperial say anything about resits first on their website, or if possible ring them up.
I don't think they'd mind as it's only GCSE, just try to get a good grade/UMS in your AS and you should be fine. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
I shan't hinder your application I think. A level retakes are frowned upon, but I've never heard of a GCSE retake screwing up an application.

Part of me however is thinking that, given that you attain A/A* chemistry grades in your current studies, that whatever grade you have in chemistry at GCSE will actually be pretty much insignificant in getting you an offer. I would personally just have it briefly mentioned in your teacher reference if need be.

However, if you think it's an easy A-A*, go for it! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You won't do well at A-level if your foundations are weak.

Expect to have to go out of your way to get up to speed.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending