The Student Room Group

I'm a black girl jealous of my white boyfriend

I've been with my boyfriend for 8 months and we're both very much in love. Things are going fairly well in our relationship and he's always treated me like a princess. However, since I've been having trouble with other parts of my life, I have started constantly comparing myself to my boyfriend and getting depressed and jealous about how much easier he has it in life, because he basically has that "white, male, straight, cisgender, able-bodied privilege".

He's always found it much easier to get jobs than I have, and I can't help thinking that it's because of the race thing, especially as I've been told a few times by some people that I probably get rejected from some jobs for being black, and it feels very annoying to have that barrier.

He's always found it easier to pull girls compared to my terrible track record with guys, cos we all know how much higher white males tend to rank in society's attractiveness scale than black women. Although, maybe this one shouldn't matter that much as we now have each other, but I can't help sometimes cringing at the thought of him with loads of other girls in the past.

I suffer from depression (mostly cos of this and other crap I've gone through) and he doesn't. And then there's all this other stuff about us girls having to put up with sexism, whereas for guys not so much.

I know I can't get mad at my boyfriend over this, since he can't help the way he is any more than I can help the way I am. And always I knew that getting into an interracial relationship would never be the easiest, but this comparison stuff is definitely something I never expected to encounter, and it's a bit bothersome. I'm just trying to concentrate on working on myself and my life the best I can despite the constant barriers I face everyday, but it's so hard.

Just wondering if anyone out there reading this could relate at all to do, and what did you do to make yourself feel better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You sound foolish
Reply 2
All that you can do is continue to work hard and watch your life start to sort itself out!

That being said, use your boyfriend for what he's there for: a source of love and support. Get your worries and problems off of your shoulders if need be (in a non-confrontational way, obviously), and hopefully, working together, you can reach your targets even sooner.

Best of luck! :biggrin:
If he's so great, shouldn't you just be happy to have him?
Reply 4
Original post by niceguy95
You sound foolish

Perhaps I do, perhaps it's partly just the depression talking, but it's a fact that society treats certain people better than others. I just need to find a way to feel less bothered about it.
Reply 5
Original post by Pedd
All that you can do is continue to work hard and watch your life start to sort itself out!

That being said, use your boyfriend for what he's there for: a source of love and support. Get your worries and problems off of your shoulders if need be (in a non-confrontational way, obviously), and hopefully, working together, you can reach your targets even sooner.

Best of luck! :biggrin:

Yep, I am doing those things, and will continue to, thanks! :smile:

Original post by WoodyMKC
If he's so great, shouldn't you just be happy to have him?

I am definitely happy to have him, very grateful to have him in my life. I'm just worried my constant money troubles might become a bit of a drain on him, with me not being able to afford a holiday together and stuff. But I suppose I am still young, and there's still time for the recession to clear and job prospects to get better for me. It's just a stress right now, that's all.
When things are going tits up, why do people always look for someone else to blame?

Can't get a job, must be because I don't have white, male, straight, cisgender, able-bodied privilege.
Reply 7
Ermm you do know it's very rare for you to be discraminated against because of your race/sex? You're not getting the jobs because of you as a person not because of every other thing blameable.
Reply 8
Original post by Wilfred Little
When things are going tits up, why do people always look for someone else to blame?

Can't get a job, must be because I don't have white, male, straight, cisgender, able-bodied privilege.

To be honest, it's a thought that's only just recently entered my mind. But you're right, it could be just that I'm probably not good enough for some things.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my boyfriend for 8 months and we're both very much in love. Things are going fairly well in our relationship and he's always treated me like a princess. However, since I've been having trouble with other parts of my life, I have started constantly comparing myself to my boyfriend and getting depressed and jealous about how much easier he has it in life, because he basically has that "white, male, straight, cisgender, able-bodied privilege".

He's always found it much easier to get jobs than I have, and I can't help thinking that it's because of the race thing, especially as I've been told a few times by some people that I probably get rejected from some jobs for being black, and it feels very annoying to have that barrier.

He's always found it easier to pull girls compared to my terrible track record with guys, cos we all know how much higher white males tend to rank in society's attractiveness scale than black women. Although, maybe this one shouldn't matter that much as we now have each other, but I can't help sometimes cringing at the thought of him with loads of other girls in the past.

I suffer from depression (mostly cos of this and other crap I've gone through) and he doesn't. And then there's all this other stuff about us girls having to put up with sexism, whereas for guys not so much.

I know I can't get mad at my boyfriend over this, since he can't help the way he is any more than I can help the way I am. And always I knew that getting into an interracial relationship would never be the easiest, but this comparison stuff is definitely something I never expected to encounter, and it's a bit bothersome. I'm just trying to concentrate on working on myself and my life the best I can despite the constant barriers I face everyday, but it's so hard.

Just wondering if anyone out there reading this could relate at all to do, and what did you do to make yourself feel better?

Pull yourself together - Your boyfriend clearly sees something in you!

Life can be cruel - I know as my brother died in accident aged 20 - but nothing is going to get better if you allow yourself to have a sour outlook on life!

Colour has nothing to do with hotness - Beyonce?!? Hello!

Focus on enjoying life and your boyfriend - you may find your luck changes when you are more positive!
Perhaps I do, perhaps it's partly just the depression talking, but it's a fact that society treats certain people better than others. I just need to find a way to feel less bothered about it.

I think you need to rise above you ghetto mentality

imo
Reply 11
Original post by Naami
Ermm you do know it's very rare for you to be discraminated against because of your race/sex? You're not getting the jobs because of you as a person not because of every other thing blameable.

How do you know? Can you read these recruiters' minds? A recession means they can afford to be extra picky, and many perfectly capable people aren't getting jobs as a result.
Reply 12
Anyway, I know it could be just bad luck, and not all too do with my race. After all, some white people in life struggle too.
Reply 13
Omitted variable bias is a statistical crime, OP.
Reply 14
How do you know? Can you read these recruiters' minds? A recession means they can afford to be extra picky, and many perfectly capable people aren't getting jobs as a result.

Because a.) it's illegal, so they're scared of even being suspected of discrimination and b.) people aren't as bigoted and prejudice as you think.

EDIT: Also to add - yes a recession means they can be more picky; picky about skills and attitude. Which is probably what you lack that your bf has, not being a white male. :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)

in my opinion, but OP, you need to check that inferiority complex. :wink:
I'm black and yellow, black and yellow.
I'm sorry but this is crap; people pull the race card far too much and to be honest even though there is sexism against women, in a lot of cases men get stereotyped too. I'm a white girl and I've had ONE interview from giving about 70 CVs out. This is in the last year. It's just an unemployment problem.
Society does not have an attractiveness scale; people do.
Anyway, I know it could be just bad luck, and not all too do with my race. After all, some white people in life struggle too.

You don't say...

I can't tell whether your complex is of inferiority or superiority, but either way you need to get a grip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending