The Student Room Group

Thinking of transfering to an American University

So Im currently a 1st year student at the University of Westminster (where the social life is crap!:mad:) and was thinking of transferring to a university in America. I was just wondering whether anyone can put in simpler terms, what exactly it is that I have to do in order to apply? And whether any financial help is available?
Reply 1
london is pretty **** for night out (most importantly the drinks are expensive), if you want a good social life at uni come up north :wink:
also british unis are far better than american one's, also studying in england will cost a lot less
Reply 2
Original post by smd4std
london is pretty **** for night out (most importantly the drinks are expensive), if you want a good social life at uni come up north :wink:
also british unis are far better than american one's, also studying in england will cost a lot less

Hmm I guess your right, thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by smd4std

also british unis are far better than american one's

That's a pretty big generalization. I would say it's subjective. They are two different things. British universities are three years long for the first degree. You only take courses in your major. American universities are four years long. The first two years you take a combination of courses from your major and general subjects (math, English, Science, foreign language, etc). In the last two years you concentrate solely on your major. I personally liked having the opportunity to study subjects outside my field of study. Also the US university allows a student to study more than one field or if you are unsure of what you want to study, it allows you time to explore different fields through your first and second year instead of making you make up your mind before you begin your first year. Many students do change their field before they graduate. However, as a transfer student, changing your field of study may not be an option at this point. I would check with the US university about this, if this is your situation.

As far as quality of education, I would say it's equal. Universities for both range from good to world-ranked.

However, higher education in the US is, unfortunately, more expensive. Especially for an international student.

Sienna, if you are still interested in transferring to the US, I would contact the admissions office and the international student office of the university you are interested in to see if it's possible to transfer and what you need to do, if you can.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending