The Student Room Group

2:1 and First Degrees?

I hear people talk about getting "good" degrees which includes a 2:1 or a first degree.

But I don't really understand them. I mean, just how hard is it to get a good degree?

Does this mean a 2:2 degree isn't well-respected? But isn't it a degree after all anyway implying that it should be respected?

Many thanks in advance :smile:
Companies ask for a 2:1 to reduce the number of applications they get as there are always get multiple applications for each vacancy. I've found that more and more graduate schemes will accept a 2:2 now as well, it's by no means a 'bad degree'. You can also make up for a lower degree classification with relevant work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by nguyenj
I hear people talk about getting "good" degrees which includes a 2:1 or a first degree.

But I don't really understand them. I mean, just how hard is it to get a good degree?

Does this mean a 2:2 degree isn't well-respected? But isn't it a degree after all anyway implying that it should be respected?

Many thanks in advance :smile:

This isn't my personal opinion but from the perspective of those who say 2:2's are bad degrees: think about it this way: you can get A*-E at A-Level but would you say D's E's are good grades? It's also used as an autofilter to narrow down applicants as companies get way too many anyway. How hard it is will depend a lot on the subject and how much effort is put in and your ability as well.
One of the issues with increasing student numbers is that there are now LOTS more people out there 'with a degree' and most end up working jobs they actually could have done without going to Uni at all). If you want a clearer route to a Graduate level job where your degree will be a requirement (not necessarily the subject matter, but the 'brain training' it involves) OR you want to do a postgraduate course (and get funding to do it) then a 2.1 or a First is essential.

To get a First/2.1 you have to DO THE WORK from week 1 of your course - this includes ALL the reading and attending classes/tutorials etc well-prepared and with things to ask/say.
I teach students who think they can just rock up to lectures and turn in badly though out essays and contribute bugger-all in class - and get a decent degree. They wont.

Quick Reply

Latest