The Student Room Group

Logistics of dying my hair blue?

I have very dark brown hair, almost black, and I'm thinking of having it dyed a nice strong blue colour at the hairdresser's. Could anyone tell me how they'd go about doing this (I assume it'd need bleaching first?), rough cost of full head versus highlights, and what it might look like once it's started fading (what colour would it go, and would it be easy to dye it back to my natural hair colour?).

If anyone happens to know a decent hairdresser in Manchester that'd be good too. :smile:
Reply 1
I think you should do it your self, it's really not hard to do and a hairdresser would cost a lot and possibly not have the colour you want.

Bleach it first and then use crazy color dye, and use a shampoo for coloured hair afterwards or it will fade really quickly! Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by Bobbi!
I think you should do it your self, it's really not hard to do and a hairdresser would cost a lot and possibly not have the colour you want.

Bleach it first and then use crazy color dye, and use a shampoo for coloured hair afterwards or it will fade really quickly! Good luck!!

Nah, I've never bleached my hair before and I'm worried about damaging it and stuff - think I'll go for the hairdresser's.
Reply 3
Whether you bleach it or they bleach it, it will be just as damaging!! But I understand if you want to leave if for the professionals. In that case I can't help you as I've always done my own dying :smile:
Reply 4
Bump! :bumps:
Go to hairdressers, they'll bleach it for you. Then I would suggest trying http://www.boots.com/en/Bleach-Super-Cool-colours-Out-Of-The-Blue_1401434/?CAWELAID=620000410000021990&cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-Boots+Beauty-_-Beauty+-+PLAs&kw=%7Bkeyword%7D&cagpspn=pla on it which is a wash out one just to check you do want to go blue (because otherwise getting back to natural colour would mean a lot of permanent dye which wouldn't be great. If so either buy an over the counter blue or go get hairdresser to do it.

Full head is normally actually cheaper than a full head of highlights although I know some places charge more for bleaching. Also your roots would come through quite noticeably so something to consider. Best to ring salons as well to see if they would charge you for getting to blue or whether you'd have to pay for bleach then blue?
Reply 6
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Go to hairdressers, they'll bleach it for you. Then I would suggest trying http://www.boots.com/en/Bleach-Super-Cool-colours-Out-Of-The-Blue_1401434/?CAWELAID=620000410000021990&cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-Boots+Beauty-_-Beauty+-+PLAs&kw=%7Bkeyword%7D&cagpspn=pla on it which is a wash out one just to check you do want to go blue (because otherwise getting back to natural colour would mean a lot of permanent dye which wouldn't be great. If so either buy an over the counter blue or go get hairdresser to do it.

Full head is normally actually cheaper than a full head of highlights although I know some places charge more for bleaching. Also your roots would come through quite noticeably so something to consider. Best to ring salons as well to see if they would charge you for getting to blue or whether you'd have to pay for bleach then blue?

PRSOM. :emo:

Pretty certain I want it blue, plus my hair grows annoyingly quickly so I'd only have a couple of months of looking stupid if it went horribly horribly wrong. :tongue: If I did want to dye it back, would it be easier to go for black rather than my natural dark brown?

Question: Can you bleach dark hair then dye it all in one sitting, or do you have to bleach one day and then dye later?
Original post by superwolf
PRSOM. :emo:

Pretty certain I want it blue, plus my hair grows annoyingly quickly so I'd only have a couple of months of looking stupid if it went horribly horribly wrong. :tongue: If I did want to dye it back, would it be easier to go for black rather than my natural dark brown?

Question: Can you bleach dark hair then dye it all in one sitting, or do you have to bleach one day and then dye later?

I would imagine it is better for your hair to bleach it then wait for a bit. Also takes AGES to dye hair so would be a VERY long trip to hair dressers.

Pretty easy to go back to dark brown, although you might get blue tints still showing through in some lights.
Blue, that's wacky
Reply 9
I have very dark brown hair, almost black, and I'm thinking of having it dyed a nice strong blue colour at the hairdresser's. Could anyone tell me how they'd go about doing this (I assume it'd need bleaching first?), rough cost of full head versus highlights, and what it might look like once it's started fading (what colour would it go, and would it be easy to dye it back to my natural hair colour?).

If anyone happens to know a decent hairdresser in Manchester that'd be good too. :smile:

Hi!
I have very dark brown hair too, and I had it bleached and dyed at the hairdressers the first time, then just my roots after that (I top up the colour every few weeks myself). At my hairdressers the all over colour is much cheaper than highlights, and they don't charge me for the bleaching, counting both bleach and blue as one colour, but obviously it is different everywhere.
What colour it goes when fading depends on the brand of dye you use (you can either take your own to the hairdressers, or they may have a brand they endorse). Personally, after trying lots of brands I now use Manic Panic 'Rockabilly Blue' for my blue sections, which goes a beautiful colour and takes ages to fade - when it does, it just turns turquoise, then eventually white if you don't fix it. Other brands vary: Amongst others, I've used Directions 'Lagoon Blue' (I think that's what it's called) and it fades very quickly to a grey colour, Fudge 'Electric Blue', which fades very quickly to light blue/green, and Crazy Colour 'Bubblegum Blue' which fades slowly but turns grey.
Honestly, different brands vary by colour and individual hair types - your hairdresser may recommend one for you. Trial and error seems to work best...
Reply 10
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I would imagine it is better for your hair to bleach it then wait for a bit. Also takes AGES to dye hair so would be a VERY long trip to hair dressers.

Pretty easy to go back to dark brown, although you might get blue tints still showing through in some lights.

Further and probably blindingly obvious question: what do I ask for? I looked on a couple of websites and they were talking about tints and full heads and half heads and confusion. :colondollar: How do I say I want all my hair dyed bright blue in hairdresser speak (looking up prices ATM)?
Reply 11
Original post by TheZoo
Hi!
I have very dark brown hair too, and I had it bleached and dyed at the hairdressers the first time, then just my roots after that (I top up the colour every few weeks myself). At my hairdressers the all over colour is much cheaper than highlights, and they don't charge me for the bleaching, counting both bleach and blue as one colour, but obviously it is different everywhere.
What colour it goes when fading depends on the brand of dye you use (you can either take your own to the hairdressers, or they may have a brand they endorse). Personally, after trying lots of brands I now use Manic Panic 'Rockabilly Blue' for my blue sections, which goes a beautiful colour and takes ages to fade - when it does, it just turns turquoise, then eventually white if you don't fix it. Other brands vary: Amongst others, I've used Directions 'Lagoon Blue' (I think that's what it's called) and it fades very quickly to a grey colour, Fudge 'Electric Blue', which fades very quickly to light blue/green, and Crazy Colour 'Bubblegum Blue' which fades slowly but turns grey.
Honestly, different brands vary by colour and individual hair types - your hairdresser may recommend one for you. Trial and error seems to work best...

Repped and worshipped for life! :adore:
Further and probably blindingly obvious question: what do I ask for? I looked on a couple of websites and they were talking about tints and full heads and half heads and confusion. :colondollar: How do I say I want all my hair dyed bright blue in hairdresser speak (looking up prices ATM)?

I just tell them in normal person speak. Like I went to my hairdresser and said "I want all my hair to be red" and smiled. And then all my hair was red so I smiled some more.
Reply 13
Repped and worshipped for life! :adore:

haha, thank you! Hope I was some help. Feel free to ask anything else I might be able to help with if you want to :wink:
Reply 14

Its a long process just to get it blonde without wrecking it.believe me ive done it many a time and my hair had to be cut short last time cus of breakage,and this time its pretty damaged too (and I did it properly,waiting between bleaches,albeit by myself). if your hair is black you use a stripper first,which isn't too damaging.i use colour b4 (about 10 pounds from boots) it absolutely stinks and it doesnt seem to change color much,but it works.so after its a bit lighter you wait a week as otherwise the stripper can counteract and you end up even darker. So then you bleach your hair.at this point its an orange color.you then need to wait a week (at least) barely washing your hair so it has its natural oils,and deep conditioning, and then bleach again. This time it will go a icky gingery yellow color and believe me it will be patchy.repeat process and one more bleach it should be blonde,however you could need 2.the lighter it is the longer the blue will stay.i reccomend directions semi perm they have a range of colours. If done by yourself this costs about 40pounds id say,a hairdresser will do it completely differentlu depending on your hair,how healthy it is etc,they may do a couple bleaches.so you dont have to walk around with bright orange hair.they also need to tone it.hairdressers bleach is also stronger and better quality as well ,though this can be a bad thing (i started doing it myself when a hairdresser completely wrecked my hair/scalp).another thing hairdressers tend to do so as not to cause more damage is put blonde highlights in rather than a full bleach,youd be surprised 4sets of highlights makes the hair pretty much blonde.im not sure how they do the blue,unnatural colors I always do myself. But it is a long process and could cost anywhere between 80-200 pounds I imagine depending on where you live etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just say you want your hair dying blue :yep:
It should dye back normal fine
But be warned the bleach may kill it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by PonchoKid
Just say you want your hair dying blue :yep:
It should dye back normal fine
But be warned the bleach may kill it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yy: I'll do just that. :yep:

Quick Reply