The Student Room Group

A-level choices

Please can someone help me.
Im currently in year 11 and am choosing my a-levels. I would like to do:
Biology
chemistry
Psychology
History

I would like to study medicine after, so would like to know if my selection would be good to get into University to study medicine. I know i should probably do maths, however I struggle with maths, and really don't enjoy it. I could def get a B at GCSE but could most likely get an A. Please can someone let me know if these a-levels would be good to get in.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by sk123456
Biology
chemistry
Psychology
History

I would like to study medicine after, so would like to know if my selection would be good to get into University to study medicine. I know i should probably do maths, however I struggle with maths, and really don't enjoy it. I could def get a B at GCSE but could most likely get an A. Please can someone let me know if these a-levels would be good to get in.
Thanks

Your subjects are fine. Physics and maths are not required by any means. Just focus on your Gcses for know ^.^

(I know somebodys sister with similar choices, and shes at UCL now o.O)
Biology
chemistry
Psychology
History

Thanks

Focus on your GCSEs

Look at the medicine applicant threads - you will need to be aiming for A*s at GCSEs - B in Maths won't be good enough for most medical schools - this should be your immediate focus.
Lool if you think you 'MIGHT' get an A in math gcse then your far better of going for nursing.
Biology
chemistry
Psychology
History

Thanks

Those A level choices are great. History shows you are a bit more well-rounded, psychology too (although it is still relevant to the degree) - the only A level you 100% need is Chemistry, although Biology is also highly recommended to keep your options open.
I would say that with a low A at GCSE Maths you would probably find the A level fairly challenging - it would still be possible to get an A but you may have to put a fair amount of work in, which would be difficult with three other academic subjects on top of all the work experience etc. that medics have to do. Therefore, I would recommend with sticking with your original choices - four well respected subjects which meet all the entrance requirements and are subjects you presumably enjoy and could do well in :smile:
For the moment, concentrate on your GCSEs - most medicine applicants have A*/ As at GCSE and some medical schools have cut off points for GCSE grades, so put the effort in! Definitely try to get an A at GCSE Maths, since showing you are good at science/ maths related subjects is pretty important.
Next year, make sure you keep on top of all your work since you will need pretty much straight As to be in with a good chance of getting an offer. Also, things like volunteering and work experience are very important - so start early! If you have time over the summer, this is the perfect opportunity to get some relevant experience - since doing it during school term may take away time from your studies (although inevitably if you are doing some long-term volunteering, which many medical schools look for, you will have to be doing some extra stuff during term time, but getting the really time consuming few days/ a week shadowing a doctor is best done during your holidays!)

Quick Reply

Latest