The Student Room Group

I'm going to fail my exam :(

I don't know what to do it's to late to back down, I just want to pass. Grade 2 violin has made me miserable! I can play A piece okay, B piece well and the C piece badly. I'm bad at sight reading and the clapping thingy is awful. I have been playing violin for 3years and have done grade 1 pieces for 12+months.... I don't know if this is a question or not!
What should I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
At grade 2 they pass you for pretty much just turning up! Trust me, it's nothing to be nervous about, you will pass!
I took my grade 2 in year 5. I don't remember doing much for it and I got a merit so you should be fine! Good luck!
have you taken the exam yet? if not, i would seriously recommend not to worry about the sight reading. I think i only started passing my sight reading after grade 6 :biggrin: It only improves with a ridiculous amount of practice (for example, if you join an orchestra) otherwise, i would focus on your C piece, and try to feel really confident with it and also learn your scales inside out (i know its really boring...)
The most important thing is to enjoy your pieces, because if you can show the examiner you are enjoying the performance, you are bound to get a better mark :smile: and whatever you do, don't give up. Violin is such a rewarding instrument!!! :biggrin: (i LOVE my violin sooo much)
hope this helps!!
Reply 4
Original post by theviolinxx
have you taken the exam yet? if not, i would seriously recommend not to worry about the sight reading. I think i only started passing my sight reading after grade 6 :biggrin: It only improves with a ridiculous amount of practice (for example, if you join an orchestra) otherwise, i would focus on your C piece, and try to feel really confident with it and also learn your scales inside out (i know its really boring...)
The most important thing is to enjoy your pieces, because if you can show the examiner you are enjoying the performance, you are bound to get a better mark :smile: and whatever you do, don't give up. Violin is such a rewarding instrument!!! :biggrin: (i LOVE my violin sooo much)
hope this helps!!

Original post by 2007PSanHa
I took my grade 2 in year 5. I don't remember doing much for it and I got a merit so you should be fine! Good luck!

Thank you both! I actually forgot that I had made this thread! I passed with 111 and I am so pleased! Thank you again and I feel happier... I might do grade 3 in a few years! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you both! I actually forgot that I had made this thread! I passed with 111 and I am so pleased! Thank you again and I feel happier... I might do grade 3 in a few years!

aww that's great!! Congratulations :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by theviolinxx
aww that's great!! Congratulations :biggrin:

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Grade 2 is really nothing to worry about. Just go in there and give it your best!

What's the worst that can happen?! Don't be afraid of failure; you'll soon relax and be proud of your efforts. Try and enjoy it...!
Glad you passed. Sight reading isn't the be all and end all. I hold some grade 8s and I would definitely say that sight reading is my weakest point. I used to learn the pieces from memory and there's nothing wrong with that. The proportion of the exam that measures your ability to spontaneously sight read is actually quite small.
Reply 9
Original post by laurakate1988
Glad you passed. Sight reading isn't the be all and end all. I hold some grade 8s and I would definitely say that sight reading is my weakest point. I used to learn the pieces from memory and there's nothing wrong with that. The proportion of the exam that measures your ability to spontaneously sight read is actually quite small.

Ah thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest