The Student Room Group

I don't have a UK based guarantor?

I'm currently trying to book my accommodation for next year, but I've just found out that I am required to have a UK based guarantor to make a booking. The problem is that I'm an international student, and I have no one in the UK that can be my guarantor. Because of this, the landlord wants me to pay my entire rent now, which is a huge sum that I can't afford to give at one go.

My question is: is there anyway around this? Is this a UK law or maybe if I tried a different house would they have different rules? I'm currently looking at houses through an agency, so if I used a private landlord would this be any different?

Thanks a lot in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bbbonnie11
I'm currently trying to book my accommodation for next year, but I've just found out that I am required to have a UK based guarantor to make a booking. The problem is that I'm an international student, and I have no one in the UK that can be my guarantor. Because of this, the landlord wants me to pay my entire rent now, which is a huge sum that I can't afford to give at one go.

My question is: is there anyway around this? Is this a UK law or maybe if I tried a different house would they have different rules? I'm currently looking at houses through an agency, so if I used a private landlord would this be any different?

Thanks a lot in advance :smile:

It isn't law but unfortunately it is fairly common :frown:.
It's non uncommon to require the entire rent up front if you don't have a suitable guarantor, but not always the full year. Some landlords will only ask for half the year up front, but it's unusual to find one who asks for less than that.

Some universities will provide a guarantor service for a small fee. Example
It's not UK law, it's the letting agent trying to reduce their exposure to risk. If they won't budge, you can't pay upfront, and your uni doesn't offer a service such as the one mentioned above, then you'll have to try and find another landlord who will take you.

In second year, I lived with an EU student, and the landlord concluded that because it was a joint and several tenancy, and he had 6 other UK guarantors, he'd accept an EU guarantor instead. Others will want 6 months rent upfront.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending