The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Living in Plymouth??

Hi,
I have an interview at Plymouth but as I've never visited Plymouth in worried for the why Plymouth question! I can answer it from a course perspective, but not from a city and what's nice about Plymouth perspective.

So my question is what nice things are there to do in Plymouth, and also what do you enjoy about the university?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by ImAz
Hi,
I have an interview at Plymouth but as I've never visited Plymouth in worried for the why Plymouth question! I can answer it from a course perspective, but not from a city and what's nice about Plymouth perspective.

So my question is what nice things are there to do in Plymouth, and also what do you enjoy about the university?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Imaz, what would you like to know about Plymouth? I have been here 3 years now and I love it here :smile:
There's something for everyone, depending on what you like to do. We have a decent night life, and a decent cinema, amazing aquarium and beautiful seaside views. It is absolutely gorgeous here in the summer (May to the end of September). We are near Dartmoor if you like walking/rambling, and some great beaches over in Cornwall for surfing.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lasuil
Hi Imaz, what would you like to know about Plymouth? I have been here 3 years now and I love it here :smile:
There's something for everyone, depending on what you like to do. We have a decent night life, and a decent cinema, amazing aquarium and beautiful seaside views. It is absolutely gorgeous here in the summer (May to the end of September). We are near Dartmoor if you like walking/rambling, and some great beaches over in Cornwall for surfing.

I'd LOVE to take up surfing! Is it easy to get around the city?
I was at the Jury's inn for my interview and was only there for a day so didn't get a chance to do too much, had a look around the shopping centre, wish I could've stayed longer though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ImAz
I'd LOVE to take up surfing! Is it easy to get around the city?
I was at the Jury's inn for my interview and was only there for a day so didn't get a chance to do too much, had a look around the shopping centre, wish I could've stayed longer though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

public transport is ok, but the main centre of the city is easy enough to get round by on foot. There is surfing lessons you can pay for through the sports society, and they include taking you to the beach and the hire of equipment :smile:
Reply 4
having studied here for one year and transferred to a more scenic campus, I can definitely say that Plymouth Uni benefits from it's location, essentially right in the middle of everything in the city. a nucleus of students round North Hill etc gives it a real university feel to it
Reply 5
I live here, I can say the students tend to be situated around the uni which is right by the city centre.
If you need to travel around we've got the train and bus station in the city centre, megabus comes here and we've got first bus which links you to cornwall. A good thing is they've now introduced a skipper ticket (could be wrong on the name) which acts as a day rider but will let you use any bus in the city (Citybus, first bus, target travel)
We've got ferries which take you to mt edgcumbe (also in cornwall) and the torpoint ferry which takes you to torpoint across the tamar.
The uni itself is in one big clump in the north hill area. At the base of said hill is Drakes Circus which is the mall. Surrounding that is the city centre. There is a long stretch known as Royal Parade where all the buses travel to and stop to swap drivers. Leading on from there is union street with numerous clubs and as you go further along towards the area of devonport there is a Lidl and Aldi.
Within the city centre we frequently have farmer and continental markets and a christmas fayre.
Things to do: Ice skating, go see a band in the pavillions, go to reel (a small cinema, smaller screens but cheap as chips), go up to the hoe - crazy golf, bowls, go to the barbican leisure centre where there is bowling, an arcade and cinema. Or go to central park which is right by the life centre where you can go swimming, play numerous sports. Or wait til the summer and the outdoor tinside pool opens.
For yer grub we also have a big sainsburys in town, iceland and a tesco metro.
In the other direction, at the top of north hill you find mutley plain which is a mix charity shops, take aways, convenience stores(2 co-ops, a new morrisons, tesco, sainsburys) , barbers/hair dressers and a few foreign shops (2 polish, 1 east european, 1 asian) and several pubs which have dwindled recently.

Hope my half asleep ramblings are of use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending