The Student Room Group

OCR A2 biology

Hey, I was wondering what revision guide is best to get?

Last year I used CGP as I found the OCR textbook too heavy, and feel it saved my grade. This year though I've heard it doesn't have enough detail to get an A at A2.

I was wondering if there's anyone studying/who has studied who knows which is best?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, a lot of my friends last year used this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1847627900

It is a CGP book but it went into a lot more detail than their other revision guides and it had loads of questions (practice and exam style). I preferred using the OCR textbook but I still used the CGP book for extra questions. We also did loads and loads of past papers, which really helped us with our exam technique!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sunday16
Hi, a lot of my friends last year used this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1847627900

It is a CGP book but it went into a lot more detail than their other revision guides and it had loads of questions (practice and exam style). I preferred using the OCR textbook but I still used the CGP book for extra questions. We also did loads and loads of past papers, which really helped us with our exam technique!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply :smile: would you definitely recommend it on top of a revision guide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I would definitely recommend it on top of something else, I know it helped out some of my friends a lot! Also my bio teacher used it in some of our lessons alongside our other other notes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I've got that CGP revision book - it's good but it doesn't cover everything in the syllabus, or at least not in enough detail, so you could use that and the official textbook to supplement :smile:
Reply 5
I did the whole biology a-level in a year and managed to get an A using the CGP revision guide and official textbook. I would use the CGP book when going over a new topic, get a grasp of the basics and then read the official textbook for more detail.

However, what really helped was doing practice questions. A2 biology is different to AS in that, it is more applying knowledge. The reason they increased the A2 exam time by 15 mins is because they started introducing more 'suggest' questions, but yeah, you should you be fine with the books that you have!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending