The Student Room Group

Vector Equation

Hi,

If anyone can help me with the following question I would be eternally grateful.

"Write down a vector d which is parallel to the line r=(-1, -6, 1) + t(1, 2, 1).

The point P lies on the above line. Find the value of t for which OP \overrightarrow {O P} .d = 0, where O is the origin. Hence determine the coordinates of P."

I have found a parallel vector of d=(1, 2, 1) (I hope this is correct anyway!).

But now I am stuck. Any direction or hints appreciated.
Do you understand how to evaluate the scalar product?
(ace)(bdf)=ab+cd+ef\begin{pmatrix} a \\ c \\ e \end{pmatrix} \bullet \begin{pmatrix} b \\ d \\ f \end{pmatrix} = ab + cd + ef
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
(ace)(bdf)=ab+cd+ef\begin{pmatrix} a \\ c \\ e \end{pmatrix} \bullet \begin{pmatrix} b \\ d \\ f \end{pmatrix} = ab + cd + ef

Ah ok, so what you are saying is I find the dot product of

r=(1, -6, 1) and d=(1, 2, 1)

and take it from there?
Original post by ExWunderkind
Ah ok, so what you are saying is I find the dot product of

r=(1, -6, 1) and d=(1, 2, 1)

and take it from there?

Part of r seems to be missing?
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M
Part of r seems to be missing?

Yes, but can I not set t=0?
Yes, but can I not set t=0?

Why would you think you could do that? That will take you to a point on the line but it isn't point P. You need to form a linear equation in t.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
Why would you think you could do that? That will take you to a point on the line but it isn't point P. You need to form a linear equation in t.

Thank you Mr M by the way, I appreciate this.

I think I have it set now. Using my vector d and the line segment OP I derived three linear equations and added them together to give me t = 2.

Which I can slot back into my original equation for the line and find P. Is that correct?
Thank you Mr M by the way, I appreciate this.

I think I have it set now. Using my vector d and the line segment OP I derived three linear equations and added them together to give me t = 2.

Which I can slot back into my original equation for the line and find P. Is that correct?

Yes!
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
Yes!

Wow, thank you so much :smile:

Just a gentle nudge and I made it :biggrin:
Just a gentle nudge and I made it :biggrin:

More satisfying than being spoon-fed.
Original post by Mr M
More satisfying than being spoon-fed.

Exactly! This is why I love TSR. Some forums would just work the answer out for you, but then you never learn mathematics that way.

Quick Reply

Latest