The Student Room Group

Are my A-Levels okay?

I'm not sure what exact job I want, but I want to study at a Russell Group Uni, and hopefully do a humanities course in politics(not too sure on the course).

For my choices I was thinking of taking History, English Language, Religious Studies, Ethics & Philosophy and Economics.

(Religious Studies, Ethics & Philosophy is one A Level)

Are my choices okay because my friends have been telling me the subjects are too easy?

For GCSE I did mostly iGCSE however I didn't do Economics at A Level, will I struggle too much?

I'm predicted all A's at GCSE and most of my teachers say if I really push myself I could get an A* in a few of them.

Also is four essay subjects too much to handle even if I enjoy writing?

Thank you!
History is a facilitating subject, and definitely a cornerstone for your subject choice.

If your school offer Government and Politics, definitely do that.

Geography and Economics would also be great for a Political Science or any humanities / social science degree. Sociology also good for Politics at RG.

English Language / RS, Ethics and Philosophy are fine but not necessarily the "best" you could choose: English Literature, straight Religious Studies or Philosophy, or the above, would set you off better.

History, Government and Politics, Economics and Eng Lit would probably be the best and leave a lot of doors open - but there is much more to be said for your extra reading and interest in the subject, as well as the subjects you enjoy most and would do best in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NatalieUK
I'm not sure what exact job I want, but I want to study at a Russell Group Uni, and hopefully do a humanities course in politics(not too sure on the course).

For my choices I was thinking of taking History, English Language, Religious Studies, Ethics & Philosophy and Economics.

(Religious Studies, Ethics & Philosophy is one A Level)

Are my choices okay because my friends have been telling me the subjects are too easy?

For GCSE I did mostly iGCSE however I didn't do Economics at A Level, will I struggle too much?

I'm predicted all A's at GCSE and most of my teachers say if I really push myself I could get an A* in a few of them.

Also is four essay subjects too much to handle even if I enjoy writing?

Thank you!

Yes your subjects are fine, but I would definitely switch out English language for English literature as it will be more beneficial and will create a strong foundation for vocabulary use and essay structures. History is an awesome subject (ok I'm biased on this one I love history!) and religious studies is a good one to have too for politics, shows you can create a reasonable argument and reflect on different opinions. Overall i feel you have a strong A-Level choice! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CooperTrooper
History is a facilitating subject, and definitely a cornerstone for your subject choice.

Geography and Economics would also be great for a Political Science or any humanities / social science degree. Sociology also good for Politics at RG.

English Language / RS, Ethics and Philosophy are fine but not necessarily the "best" you could choose: English Literature, straight Religious Studies or Philosophy, or the above, would set you off better.

History, Government and Politics, Economics and Eng Lit would probably be the best and leave a lot of doors open - but there is much more to be said for your extra reading and interest in the subject, as well as the subjects you enjoy most and would do best in.

I'm going to the sixth form at my school and so I asked the deputy head if I could do Government & Politics and he said he would look into it, but a lot of people are telling me that Economics is a very similar course and a much better one to have?

I really wanted to do English Lit because I know it's a lot more respected than lang, but I was apprehensive about the amount of books you have to read, I do enjoy reading but I don't get along with Shakespeare at all! At my school they said if you don't read classic novels at home for pleasure (which I don't!) then you'd struggle with English Lit?
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
Yes your subjects are fine, but I would definitely switch out English language for English literature as it will be more beneficial and will create a strong foundation for vocabulary use and essay structures. History is an awesome subject (ok I'm biased on this one I love history!) and religious studies is a good one to have too for politics, shows you can create a reasonable argument and reflect on different opinions. Overall i feel you have a strong A-Level choice! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad r.s is good because it's my favourite subject! Is English Lit too hard if you don't read many 'challenging' books at home, my school are suggesting it is and are pretty much trying to put us off it if we don't read them! I'm hopefully going to get an A or B in English Lit gcse at the moment, I thought i'd struggle too much with a level?
Original post by CooperTrooper

I think I've found my username twin!

I agree that English Lit is probably better to do than Language as (in my opinion) you get so much more out of it. There's such a range of topics - creative writing, poetry analysis, comparative essays and I think it's really fun :tongue: Although a lot of people do English Lit it's still very well regarded.
I'm going to the sixth form at my school and so I asked the deputy head if I could do Government & Politics and he said he would look into it, but a lot of people are telling me that Economics is a very similar course and a much better one to have?

I really wanted to do English Lit because I know it's a lot more respected than lang, but I was apprehensive about the amount of books you have to read, I do enjoy reading but I don't get along with Shakespeare at all! At my school they said if you don't read classic novels at home for pleasure (which I don't!) then you'd struggle with English Lit?

Definitely do Gov & Pol if you can, it is not the same as Economics at all; the subjects certainly complement each other but are not at all similar in content! Your school is wrong about Eng Lit; I know it is possible to do very well without having some extraordinary obsession with literature, and none of those who got As I know read classic novels at home during their GCSEs. The key to A levels is hard work, really, and you'll get what you put in.

Original post by coopertroopa03
I think I've found my username twin!.

:clap2: :clap2: cooper troopers!
I'm glad r.s is good because it's my favourite subject! Is English Lit too hard if you don't read many 'challenging' books at home, my school are suggesting it is and are pretty much trying to put us off it if we don't read them! I'm hopefully going to get an A or B in English Lit gcse at the moment, I thought i'd struggle too much with a level?

I'm still in year 11 but I've heard that you can get by with minimal reading, just understanding the plot of the play/book will get you by. But! Don't go along with this, I am wanting to do literature at a level and I would make sure I read the book at least once then go through it and annotating important parts.

In my school we do Religion & Philosophy as an A-Level and it's going quite well, I enjoy it! But back to literature. Out of the 4 you have id say the strong ones are history and philosophy, so id pick another strong one (literature) along with economics. I have heard that economics is extremely boring though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't read classic novels for pleasure but I haven't found the work too hard! We've had to read Jane Eyre and a couple of books of our choice outside of lessons - obviously it's great if you can read them all but chapter summaries are brilliant if not :wink: I mostly have essays for homework, which I assume you'd get in English Language anyway?
Reply 9
Original post by coopertroopa03
I don't read classic novels for pleasure but I haven't found the work too hard! We've had to read Jane Eyre and a couple of books of our choice outside of lessons - obviously it's great if you can read them all but chapter summaries are brilliant if not :wink: I mostly have essays for homework, which I assume you'd get in English Language anyway?

I'm doing a controlled assessment on Macbeth in lit right now and chapter summaries saved me haha! And well, our English teacher is quite, individual.. (she's mental). She is a really good teacher though but we do little essays, I think we've probably done one or two in the two year course, as we rarely get long homework. Thankfully in all my language controlled assessments so far I have gotten full marks, creative writing is probably my strongest point in any subject! That's what swayed me towards language to be honest, she said I'd probably do better in it because of my creative writing!
I'm doing a controlled assessment on Macbeth in lit right now and chapter summaries saved me haha! And well, our English teacher is quite, individual.. (she's mental). She is a really good teacher though but we do little essays, I think we've probably done one or two in the two year course, as we rarely get long homework. Thankfully in all my language controlled assessments so far I have gotten full marks, creative writing is probably my strongest point in any subject! That's what swayed me towards language to be honest, she said I'd probably do better in it because of my creative writing!

In my sixth form the Aqa English literature course has one topic where u can choose whether to reply to a question with analysis or a piece of creative writing. Id look into what the courses offer for both lit & Lang

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest