Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want To Study MEDICINE In The US?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm planning on doing Biomed in UCL for undergraduate course and then apply to the US for Medicine. Any chance on that?

Thanks.
    • 34 followers

I'm hoping to apply for a transfer to a US medical school into the clinical phase but I've been told I need to do USMLE step 1 first.

Also some colleges want modules/credits from American or Canadian medical schools if transferring but I did my studies here in the UK. Would having an educational services agency like WES to assess my qualifications help to satisfy this criteria? I believe they can assess your transcripts and compile a report to the universities on their equivalence to US/Canadian grades....right? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AManuel)
    I am a year 11 student and i was wondering what A-levels are needed/wanted to study medicine in the USA. Money is not an issue and I have an American passport, but was born and lived in the UK. Does anyone know what A levels i should do and also, could some one please explain the whole masters and premed course thing as it is rather confusing.

Thank you
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm also year 11 student and am an american citizen who moved to England in year 7. I was wondering if it's required to take a level chemistry to do medicine in the USA? Also, is it required to do subjects such as a biomedical science (or similar subjects) undergraduate degree? Thank you so much!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I just wondering something that I have already graduated in bachelor's degree of computer-science. Do i have a chance to go to med school in US?

Thank you.
    • 34 followers

(Original post by ipooklook)
    Hi guys,
    I just wondering something that I have already graduated in bachelor's degree of computer-science. Do i have a chance to go to med school in US?

Thank you.
    Where did you study the UK or US or Canada (or elsewhere)? If you want to enter at Year 1 you need to usually have completed 2 years of a bachelor's programme covering some element of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Life-Sciences and Mathematics. Also some US medical schools will only consider applications from those who have completed study at a recognised US/Canadian university, few will consider from the UK although I think Stanford does but unfortunately for me they don't consider transfers.

If you're in the UK then your chances would be better applying for Graduate-Entry Medicine here as a lot of the courses don't require a specific degree (just a 2:1 classification or US equivalent GPA).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to know what types of undergraduate degrees are recommended for medical schools in America.
    I want to ask if I do something like Biomedical Engineering, whether that degree would be okay for me to apply for any schools in the US.
    Also wanting to ask, how difficult is it for someone to gain entry into medical school from outside the US without the US's General Bachelor Degree?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've had a look elsewhere, but was unable to find an answer, so I hope someone on here can help.
    Is it true that work experience and volunteering done in high school is discounted completely when applying for med schools in the US, and only stuff done during undergraduate studies are counted?
    Also do US med schools have similar vaccination requirements to UK universities? Just wondering how many I'm going to need as I haven't had any so far.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    After reading this whole thread (every comment) I am confused as there is a lot of difference in opinion it seems.
    So I will ask this question (I have researched elsewhere) and decide which answers seem most reasonable if that's okay!

I am in my AS year and am planning on medicine. I will most probably do the natural science tripos (3/4 years) in Cambridge after college and then medicine at Oxford as a graduate (I understand that seems ambitious but, nevertheless, it's the plan. I suppose US med schools would only really rank these uni's as highly as their own ones!). I suppose this is similar to the US system in terms of undergrad college and then grad medicine (professional degree).

After doing so, realistically. Can I do a US residency? I understand the procedure however I am interested in how likely it would be with good grades in the pre-entrance exam. The UK system for graduates suck. I would rather do 84 hour weeks for 4 years than 48 hour weeks for 8 years!

Lastly, after completing a residency, how difficult would it be to stay in the US if I enjoy it there and the distance from family isn't too much? If I don't like it it doesn't matter but if I do... can I stay?!

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for the
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Occams Chainsaw)

I a(I understand that seems ambitious but, nevertheless, it's the plan
    Dream big

I suppose US med schools would only really rank these uni's as highly as their own ones!). I suppose this is similar to the US system in terms of undergrad college and then grad medicine (professional degree).
    So you gotta do a lot more research..What I would have done: calling different colleges ask them your questions..
    I learnt this the hard way..
    one thing to keep in mind is that, US medicine is like 4 year undergrad 4 year grad school (actually that's for dentistry but am almost 100% positive it's the same thing for med)

If you thinking doing undergrad in one country going to the other one it can get a bit tricky cuz for example: I have credits for my general biology course (just cuz I did bio A-level) but there are loads random **** that they do in general bio that I have never done ...e.g. in general bio there is a big chunk of stuff about plants..in Bio A-level we only do plant hormones maybe a lil bit on plant biodiversity and that's about it
    Just a heads up you know

Last but not least, my advise to you is to either finish your A-level then keep apply for getting into the uni you want
    or without even starting an undergrad/medical school in UK go straight to US..start from scratch (by that I mean freshman/sophomore)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    No you didn't. You finish school at the end of year 12 (not 13 as in the UK). Then you do an undergraduate degree for 4 years. Then your degree in medicine takes 3-4 years.

So not that long.
    Now I'm 18... I'm doing STPM at Malaysia... if I'm interested to do medicine at us mean how??? what i must do?? Is it i can use my stpm result to continue my degree there???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    REVIVE!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    No you didn't. You finish school at the end of year 12 (not 13 as in the UK). Then you do an undergraduate degree for 4 years. Then your degree in medicine takes 3-4 years.

So not that long.
    Yes they finish school in 12th Grade, but my friend who lived in America said that if you're in 12th grade your the same age as UK year 13, because they have two years of kindergarten, then 12 years of school(14 years). And UK has reception then 13 years of school(14 years).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 5, 2014
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.