The Student Room Group

Foreign language qualifications

Hello,

I want to ask if it is common for students studying FL at university to obtain a language qualification for instance Sorbonne for french, CELI or CILS for italian, HSK for Chinese etc.
Reply 1
:bump:
Original post by anatolia3
Hello,

I want to ask if it is common for students studying FL at university to obtain a language qualification for instance Sorbonne for french, CELI or CILS for italian, HSK for Chinese etc.

I think it's more common for students of Asian languages. JLPT (Japanese) and HSK are often asked for as job requirements and I think students feel it's a good addition to prove that they actually achieved good fluency in what are considered hard languages that are usually started from beginner's level at university. I don't think people really expect the same level of fluency from Japanese graduates as they do from French ones. Plus courses for smaller languages can vary massively so it's nice to have a standardised qualification.

For the main European languages however, I don't think it's very common as it's usually not needed. A degree in the language ought to be enough to satisfy language requirements for jobs - or you'll be assessed by an interview process.

I'm a final year language student and I've never heard of any students doing other proficiency tests for Fre/Ger/Spa, just for Japanese and Chinese :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sophia5892
I think it's more common for students of Asian languages. JLPT (Japanese) and HSK are often asked for as job requirements and I think students feel it's a good addition to prove that they actually achieved good fluency in what are considered hard languages that are usually started from beginner's level at university. I don't think people really expect the same level of fluency from Japanese graduates as they do from French ones. Plus courses for smaller languages can vary massively so it's nice to have a standardised qualification.

For the main European languages however, I don't think it's very common as it's usually not needed. A degree in the language ought to be enough to satisfy language requirements for jobs - or you'll be assessed by an interview process.

I'm a final year language student and I've never heard of any students doing other proficiency tests for Fre/Ger/Spa, just for Japanese and Chinese :smile:

Thank you very much for your reply. :smile: May I ask if those qualifications are requested from employers when somebody has not studied towards a language degree (in case of european languages) ?
Original post by anatolia3
Thank you very much for your reply. :smile: May I ask if those qualifications are requested from employers when somebody has not studied towards a language degree (in case of european languages) ?

If you don't have a language element in your degree then it is probably a good idea to have proof of your proficiency - it stands out at the application stage.
If you've studied languages at uni as part of a Joint or Combined Honours course then I believe that would be just as good as having a Modern Languages degree.

But again it depends on personal circumstances. If you can be considered bilingual/to have proficiency because you grew up in the country or spent a significant period working there etc, then again, a stand-alone qualification isn't likely to be needed.

Most jobs I've seen don't really specify how you prove your fluency. They'll just say "Fluency in French required". So then I guess it's down to the applicant how they want to evidence that fluency, be it with a language qualification, a degree or an explanation of time spent studying/in the country/using the language.

I hope that makes some sense? There really seems to be no clear rules on this. And I guess some employers might request a qualification, but I've not personally heard of it being an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending