The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Okeford House pros/cons??

Anybody is interested in Okeford House or already stayed in this place??
What is this house like ???

Thx in advance !! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Very noisy. Don't get room 1, you have complete tossers ringing your doorbell at 3am to let them in because they lost their keys. And it is unrelenting, they honestly don't stop ringing.

i had the chance to keep my room at the end of 2010 but gave it up.

Fire alarms twice a week and you're stuck outside in the pouring rain or snow because the alarm needs to be turned off by a specific company. I remember sitting out in the cold in my pjs at night for 5 hours.

Only plus side is it's close to the shops.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by Ciri
Very noisy. Don't get room 1, you have complete tossers ringing your doorbell at 3am to let them in because they lost their keys. And it is unrelenting, they honestly don't stop ringing.

i had the chance to keep my room at the end of 2010 but gave it up.

Fire alarms twice a week and you're stuck outside in the pouring rain or snow because the alarm needs to be turned off by a specific company. I remember sitting out in the cold in my pjs at night for 5 hours.

Only plus side is it's close to the shops.

Ohhh really ,,sounds not interesting hehe =/
so which accommodation u stayed ???
Reply 3
Original post by chubachub
Ohhh really ,,sounds not interesting hehe =/
so which accommodation u stayed ???

Yeah, it was a pain. Especially when they put the vending machine right outside my room. Large congragations met outside ~.~ Also, it was postgraduate only back then (I only got my room because my dad kicked up a fuss about me needing to stay in halls), has that changed since?

After that, I rented a room with my then-boyfriend for 2 years. Ended up with the landlady from hell. Nice flat though. If you end up in a house, expect to pay in the region of £350 a month without bills. After we split up, I ended up in a hotel rented out to students (catered), this was good aswell).

Dorchester house is the newest Halls of Res. Everybody loves it from what I've heard. Most Halls, are unfortunately closer to the Landsdown campus but the U1 bus goes every 15 minutes to the Talbot campus (I recommend getting a bus to the uni an hour before your lectures start because they become completely packed very quickly.), the Yellow Bus 6 will also take you directly to Talbot campus (this comes every 10 minutes). You're looking at a 10-20 minute journey depending on traffic. A return ticket on the 6 was £2.90 last year while the U1 only sold singles which were £1.30 unless you have a pre-topped up card, then I believe the rate was 70p per journey.

If you're looking at renting. Wallisdown, Talbot Woods and the western side of Ensbury Park are very close to the Uni, you can walk easily. But they were a bit of a walk from local shops ect. Winton is ok but some of the houses are in poor condition. Don't go for Charminster - although it's close to shops ect, it's a very rough area with lots of burgleries and thefts. Boscombe and Springbourne would be too far out if you want the Talbot campus, both of those are pretty rough too.

I would personally try for Dorchester House. It's very new, very central, you can pretty much get a bus anywhere. The town centre is a 15 minute walk. Asda and the trainstation are literally across the road. Landsdown is a 5 minute walk. The U1 stops right outside the Halls (and its the first stop) so you would be able to probably catch a bus half an hour before lectures at Talbot. If you have a 9am one, though, the buses will be busy in the hour before.

Everywhere will have noise, just some places are noiser than others Students like to have very loud parties and get drunk then use that as an excuse to act like a ****.

Hope I helped :smile: If you need anything, I'll be around.
Reply 4
Original post by Ciri
Yeah, it was a pain. Especially when they put the vending machine right outside my room. Large congragations met outside ~.~ Also, it was postgraduate only back then (I only got my room because my dad kicked up a fuss about me needing to stay in halls), has that changed since?

After that, I rented a room with my then-boyfriend for 2 years. Ended up with the landlady from hell. Nice flat though. If you end up in a house, expect to pay in the region of £350 a month without bills. After we split up, I ended up in a hotel rented out to students (catered), this was good aswell).

Dorchester house is the newest Halls of Res. Everybody loves it from what I've heard. Most Halls, are unfortunately closer to the Landsdown campus but the U1 bus goes every 15 minutes to the Talbot campus (I recommend getting a bus to the uni an hour before your lectures start because they become completely packed very quickly.), the Yellow Bus 6 will also take you directly to Talbot campus (this comes every 10 minutes). You're looking at a 10-20 minute journey depending on traffic. A return ticket on the 6 was £2.90 last year while the U1 only sold singles which were £1.30 unless you have a pre-topped up card, then I believe the rate was 70p per journey.

If you're looking at renting. Wallisdown, Talbot Woods and the western side of Ensbury Park are very close to the Uni, you can walk easily. But they were a bit of a walk from local shops ect. Winton is ok but some of the houses are in poor condition. Don't go for Charminster - although it's close to shops ect, it's a very rough area with lots of burgleries and thefts. Boscombe and Springbourne would be too far out if you want the Talbot campus, both of those are pretty rough too.

I would personally try for Dorchester House. It's very new, very central, you can pretty much get a bus anywhere. The town centre is a 15 minute walk. Asda and the trainstation are literally across the road. Landsdown is a 5 minute walk. The U1 stops right outside the Halls (and its the first stop) so you would be able to probably catch a bus half an hour before lectures at Talbot. If you have a 9am one, though, the buses will be busy in the hour before.

Everywhere will have noise, just some places are noiser than others Students like to have very loud parties and get drunk then use that as an excuse to act like a ****.

Hope I helped :smile: If you need anything, I'll be around.

Hey thank you so much for ur info !! Woow u helped me a lot !!
very impressive haha :biggrin:
Well, I will be studying at Talbot campus, so I prefer a place that kinda close to the campus =)) And i never heard of Wallisdown or Talbot Woods. I will check it now !! :biggrin:
Anyway, thx again ! you're so helpful :biggrin:
okeford house is the worst student accommodation in the whole of bournemouth. do not and i repeat do not come here. defer if you have to. do anything to avoid this place.
Reply 6
Oh no! I just booked it. Corfe was not available, so ended up choosing Okeford's studio. Why is it the worst? Is it possible for me to defer after a few months?
Reply 7
can someone provide some context as to why its apparently the worst? When i visited it earlier this week it did look a tad dated but idk
Reply 8
Original post by Philippax3
can someone provide some context as to why its apparently the worst? When i visited it earlier this week it did look a tad dated but idk

Will tell ya in September, because I can't change accommodation
Reply 9
yeah, I guess we'll both find out then lol admittedly the shared kitchen in block 5 looked terrible I'm surprised they willingly showed me it, idk if they're planning on sprucing it up but honestly, it looked like it needed to be completely renovated.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
yeah, I guess we'll both find out then lol admittedly the shared kitchen in block 5 looked terrible I'm surprised they willingly showed me it, idk if they're planning on sprucing it up but honestly, it looked like it needed to be completely renovated.

Haha lol. Good luck! Did you ask them if professionals or the previous tenants will clean the flat? I heard from some people that it was filthy when they got into the room.
I did not know, they did however mention that they have some students staying in the accommodation over the summer which is probably why some rooms looked worse than others, you'd like to think they would have people professionally clean them before others move in. Doesn't help that the building is usually not staffed so idk how it's going to work on move-in day.
Reply 12
I did not know, they did however mention that they have some students staying in the accommodation over the summer which is probably why some rooms looked worse than others, you'd like to think they would have people professionally clean them before others move in. Doesn't help that the building is usually not staffed so idk how it's going to work on move-in day.

I really wish I could choose another accommodation. Chesil sounds way better for the same price. I shouldn't have rushed. On the plus side, Okeford won't be noisy as there are only a few students. Mostly Postgraduates I think. Will have to make do with what we have.
yeah okeford house is only for postgrads which is why I chose it, but tbh by the time I was able to book accommodation I had almost 0 choices of anywhere else anyway, I thought Chesil was significantly more expensive.
Original post by Andvi
I really wish I could choose another accommodation. Chesil sounds way better for the same price. I shouldn't have rushed. On the plus side, Okeford won't be noisy as there are only a few students. Mostly Postgraduates I think. Will have to make do with what we have.

I think you can choose a different room via the portal but im not 100% certain.
Reply 15
I think you can choose a different room via the portal but im not 100% certain.

Hey, so how is it going?
Also, can we do raids together and exchange Pokemon lol
An honest review after staying here for just over a month with more cons than pro's unfortuantly.
Although the room size is okay, and the storage is reasonable, that's about its only perk.

Advantages:
- lots of coffee shops, food stores and decent shops nearby, pretty much everything you could need within 5mins
- good transport links which come regularly, able to get to talbot campus, lansdowne campus and town very easily.
- generally a good vibe in the building with lots of events being held every week
- collecting mail - post office, evri drop of, whsmith postin locker all in very close distance
- sits on a pokestop and a gym in pokemon go for those who'd like to know lol

Disadvantages:
-The carpet in my room is in horrendous condition with many suggestible stains embedded in the carpet despite using plenty of carpet cleaner.
- I appear to of been lucky and given a new mattress, and new shower curtain, there are however defo some people in the building who have not been so fortunate.
- They had students staying over the summer and did not prioritize cleaning the flats meaning that literally up until the date of moving in they were rushing to clean each room and some must have been missed completely.
- People's mail has gone missing/stolen, there is no security on site and everything in the kitchen is either extremely dated or just broken. One of the lights in our kitchen could give someone a seizure with how often it flickers and the oven is annoying, taking forever to heat up and because there is no bulb, you have to constantly open the oven door to check your food.
- There is also the hidden cost of being charged another £15 on top of your rent at the beginning of tenancy if you want to have more than one device connected to the internet.
- Another hidden cost is the laundry, being charged each time to wash your clothes and another charge to dry them. Plus there are only 2 machines of each for approx >100 students which gets difficult to navigate, especially if people pre-buy their machine before checking the laundry room to see if its free because apparently, the app is flawed in that regard.
- Only 1 hoover per building for everyone to use.
- The fridge/freezer they provide is nowhere near large enough to accommodate everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending