The Student Room Group

Imperial Computing interview- what should I expect?

So I have a Computing interview tomorrow at Imperial College. There's not much on their website about it- just wondering what I should be expecting in terms of exam style questions?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Mine was only last year so I doubt yours will be too different. We were all together in a big room, and in no particular order (we were in groups throughout the day to stagger interview times) we had a tour of the area by a first year student, visited some of the accommodation (where you go depends on where your guide lives,) the actual interviews, a Q&A session, a general talk by the head of department, and a lot of technical demonstrations from group projects to actual businesses who started at Imperial along with society demonstrations (quadcopter, 3D printer etc.)

The actual interviews are a tiny fraction of a day. They aren't long; 15-20 minutes maybe? They're reasonably casual with one member of staff in an office, and they tend to ask a few questions about your subjects and why you applied etc. The mathematical questions aren't supposed to be immediately obvious; they just want to see your reasoning process and hear you talk through your responses and anything you realise. I only solved one out of two and wouldn't have solved either without help, but I got an offer so clearly it's more about the process than the end result.

I remember the food being really great too, so... Enjoy that. Good luck! :smile:

Edit: We're not allowed to give actual questions asked, but they're more mathematical than anything else (probably mostly C2/D1 standard but with a twist.)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending