The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Qualifications throughout the course of a degree.

Hi, quick question. If I was to enroll onto a course for a degree say over a 4-6 year time frame, would the modules I have learnt after 1, 2 and 3 be equivalent to a Diploma and HND etc.? Or is it that you don't actually have a qualification to speak of until the full degree is complete?
Original post by TulliMush
Hi, quick question. If I was to enroll onto a course for a degree say over a 4-6 year time frame, would the modules I have learnt after 1, 2 and 3 be equivalent to a Diploma and HND etc.? Or is it that you don't actually have a qualification to speak of until the full degree is complete?

Depending on the university and the course, they may be able to award you a HND, if you decide to drop out after completing the first year.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by TulliMush

Should you leave during your degree you may have an option of leaving with a Certificate of Higher Education (100 or 120 credits), Diploma of Higher Education (240 credits) or non-honours degree (300 credits). A full honours degree is 360 credits.

But you won't obtain these qualifications while you're studying for your degree. They will only be conferred should you end (or possibly suspend) your course, allowing you to transfer and upgrade later on.

Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Depending on the university and the course, they may be able to award you a HND, if you decide to drop out after completing the first year.

Diploma of Higher Education, and it equates to 240 credis. Certificate of Higher Education's usually the equivalent of one year FT study.
Reply 3
Original post by River85
Should you leave during your degree you may have an option of leaving with a Certificate of Higher Education (100 or 120 credits), Diploma of Higher Education (240 credits) or non-honours degree (300 credits). A full honours degree is 360 credits.

But you won't obtain these qualifications while you're studying for your degree. They will only be conferred should you end (or possibly suspend) your course, allowing you to transfer and upgrade later on.

Diploma of Higher Education, and it equates to 240 credis. Certificate of Higher Education's usually the equivalent of one year FT study.

Thank you both for your swift replies! Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 4
check to see if the modules you are doing will count towards a qualification. When I was doing a health degree I could only get Cert, CertHE, BSc/BA now with the open I can also get DipHE

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/index.htm

I assume you are talking about the OU as this is the OU forum.

Quick Reply

Latest