The Student Room Group

A2 psychology OCR G543 revision thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

I'm on OCR psychology board too and we're studying Health & Clinical Psychology as well as Forensics.

I'm actually struggling a bit to wrap my head around what they're after this year, I achieved 100% in the core studies exam last summer and my psychology teachers are predicting me an A* this year, but it feels like a whole other subject almost.
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
what are the strengthes and weaknesses for Wilkstrom and Tafel Gudjohnsson and Raine Brain dysfunction?

HELP PLEASE! :frown:

Raine.

Rain reviewed a range of previous articles, this suggests that the research is reliable.
However small sample sizes in some of the research can reduce reliability.

The key findings. Eg. The findings of low resting heart rate and its effects were found in 6 different counties. Were found consistently by several researches, making it valid.

Relating criminal behaviour to biological explanations can be reductionist and deterministic, on the other hand Raine does reconise the interaction between biological and environmental influences, eg. A pregnant woman making the choice to smoke or drink can have an effect on the development of the fetus.
Original post by xMissDebby
I'm on OCR psychology board too and we're studying Health & Clinical Psychology as well as Forensics.

I'm actually struggling a bit to wrap my head around what they're after this year, I achieved 100% in the core studies exam last summer and my psychology teachers are predicting me an A* this year, but it feels like a whole other subject almost.

I feel exactly the same this year! I had 94% overall last year and I just can't get to grips with this paper. Definitely feels like a whole new subject.
Original post by xMissDebby

OMG:eek: Im in the EXACT same position as you.....! It's already tough enough to learn all these studies + eval. but the time pressure is just killing me esp. for 15 markers.:frown:
Reply 44
Yeah im doing this exam to but its really a struggle to remember everything! We've just finished learning all studies for Health and Clinical and Forensic. I know the studies, kinda, but I am really struggling to remember the names of the psychologists and things like the sample sizes etc. How is everyone revising for it?
Original post by PahaPants
Yeah im doing this exam to but its really a struggle to remember everything! We've just finished learning all studies for Health and Clinical and Forensic. I know the studies, kinda, but I am really struggling to remember the names of the psychologists and things like the sample sizes etc. How is everyone revising for it?

What I find useful for memory is to write out everything you know about the study, then in red go back though it and correct it or add more detail from your book. This helps to you to remember yhe atudies correctly. It may be good to do this one week for all the health studies and then the next week for forensic and keep repeating. That may help you to memorise it for longer :smile:.

Also I find that memorising the studies and psychologists names in order helps to remember which theorist is with which study cause its structured/systematic learning :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Hey guys,
I am going to be sitting this exam as well this year and currently preparing for the units Health and Clinical and Forensics!
My main resource that I use is the book and the hand-outs my teacher gives me in class.
I was wondering about what will come up in the exam, because as you may know it is extremely difficult to memorise over 50 studies by heart! Although there isn’t a particular pattern for the exam questions, you could sometimes have an educated guess in what question could come up.
(I remember last year it being predicted Baron-Cohen and Freud and they actually came up!!!) so iv got my hopes up this year!!
I would be glad for any replies, what have your teachers suggested etc? my teacher just wants us to revise EVERYTHING and says u never know what’s in that exam paper…
Also, If you need any help, ill be happy to try my best to help you!
My revision technique is writing out the study like 2 times, which isn’t GREAT I know, but yeahhh..!
Thanks anyways,
x
Reply 47
Original post by jodie.irwin27
I feel exactly the same this year! I had 94% overall last year and I just can't get to grips with this paper. Definitely feels like a whole new subject.

I'm so glad we are all worried about this exam. Core studies seems so much nicer than this one, it truly is like a new subject because the approach taken to answering questions is so different. I have a very good memory but learning 54 studies along with my ICT and English exam is literally killing me. I'm feeling that my best subject is turning into my worst.
Reply 48
i jus couldn't be bothered to revise last year and now I wish I did because I need to get a low A to achieve an overall A and memorising 54 studies is just soo much time consumption. Has anyone got
any tips to help revise for it?
Reply 49
Anyone doing Sport Psychology (OCR)?
Reply 50
Original post by rohan11
i jus couldn't be bothered to revise last year and now I wish I did because I need to get a low A to achieve an overall A and memorising 54 studies is just soo much time consumption. Has anyone got
any tips to help revise for it?

Same story here! I'm struggling to remember 10 mark worth for each study :frown: OCR are taking the piss. The first time I went over all the studies, it literally seemed impossible but it gets easier after your first go. I would just give myself 15 minutes to revise in detail for each study and after revising it, make a brief outline summing the study up in like 4-5 sentences to look over later in the week but yeah, do little but often as there's no point rushing& cramming all 54 studies in a day, you'll just end up mixing everything up
Reply 51
Has anyone got the Sport Psychology questions from June 2013?
Reply 52
Original post by idekk
Same story here! I'm struggling to remember 10 mark worth for each study :frown: OCR are taking the piss. The first time I went over all the studies, it literally seemed impossible but it gets easier after your first go. I would just give myself 15 minutes to revise in detail for each study and after revising it, make a brief outline summing the study up in like 4-5 sentences to look over later in the week but yeah, do little but often as there's no point rushing& cramming all 54 studies in a day, you'll just end up mixing everything up

thanks. i have started to write some notes on each study and when i finish I will probs do what you have suggested.
Reply 53
I'm taking this exam this summer too, we're learning health & clinical psychology, and forensic psychology. Any tips on how much depth you need to go into when describing a study? Are you expected to know the sample size, location, specific random facts such as the name of the hormone measured in one the stress studies (can't remember which one) etc?

Also I'm really confused! People are posting that there's 54 studies to learn but I've been told there's 72?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Lauren___e
I'm taking this exam this summer too, we're learning health & clinical psychology, and forensic psychology. Any tips on how much depth you need to go into when describing a study? Are you expected to know the sample size, location, specific random facts such as the name of the hormone measured in one the stress studies (can't remember which one) etc?

Also I'm really confused! People are posting that there's 54 studies to learn but I've been told there's 72?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You literally need to write
'The aim is... The method is... The results were... The conclusion was...'
If you can remember any extra details just put that in the methods bit to show you have a better understanding :smile:

They're probably learning 54 because they're going to take one booklet out from health and one from forensic, the exam board will only ask you either one question on each booklet or two questions on one booklet and 2 on the other, what I'm trying to say is you can get away with learning 3 for each as long as you know all 3 in depth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how much detail we should know for each study? E.g. Aim, method, participants, procedure, results + conclusions. Do we need to know all of it? Because that's bull****.

I'm thinking of crossing off the topics that have already came up and revising them in less detail compared to the rest of my revision. Also, I'm thinking of writing out exam answers and then just revising from them?

For part b I am really screwed because my teacher hasn't explained it properly at all, they're expecting us to figure it out when I'm pretty sure they're meant to do their job. This exam just seems impossible? How stupid do OCR need to be. Making exams harder is crap because it's not testing anything and certainly not ability in a subject.
Reply 56
Original post by socially inept
Does anyone know how much detail we should know for each study? E.g. Aim, method, participants, procedure, results + conclusions. Do we need to know all of it? Because that's bull****.

I'm thinking of crossing off the topics that have already came up and revising them in less detail compared to the rest of my revision. Also, I'm thinking of writing out exam answers and then just revising from them?

For part b I am really screwed because my teacher hasn't explained it properly at all, they're expecting us to figure it out when I'm pretty sure they're meant to do their job. This exam just seems impossible? How stupid do OCR need to be. Making exams harder is crap because it's not testing anything and certainly not ability in a subject.

Section A Will always be about a theory/topic/study i.e.describe research into the biological approach to stress. It is a hell of a lotto learn and I’m unsure of what the structure is, but for now I’m revisingevery study in as much detail as I can.

Section B Little bit simpler (I think) as it will be an evaluationquestion i.e. evaluate the effectiveness of the behavioural approach oftreating a psychotic disorder. Here I like to make 3 solid points and aconclusion (I’ve been advised to write one but I hate it so I make mine short).

It’s going to be really difficult, and to top it we haveother subjects that are just as demanding but unfortunately there’s no backingout L

In terms of revising what “might” come up…it’s risky. Lastyear for core studies I risked it and only revised over the topics that hadn’tcome up in a while and it worked, but this year I’m going to try my hardest tolearn everything because they can literally ask anything.

If anyone is interested, I just went on a thead from last year for the june 2013 exam, and concluded from the comments after people had sat the exam, that these topics came up:

forensic
Turning to crime - cognition
Reaching a verdict witness appeal
After a guilty verdict - imprisonment
After a guilty verdict alternatives to imprisonment

health and clinical
Healthy living theories of health belief
Healthy living features of adherence to medical regimes
Dysfunctional behaviour - treatment
Disorders - characteristics
Reply 58
Hey guys, I took the June '13 exam last year and made this spreadsheet of all the topics that came up throughout the papers. Whilst I believe one topic is inaccurate (missed one where it actually came up) it is an extremely invaluable tool to use. You can see which questions have come up and when so you can base off those that haven't come up recently. Although, note that some have been repeated and there is nothing that couldn't potentially be repeated again.

I got 100% in the G543 exam and an A* overall. I took Health & Clinical and Forensics, so I am happy to give advice or help to people that need it from what I can remember.

So, I pass down to you all, the exam question spreadsheet for all you 2014 candidates. Use it wisely.
Reply 59
Original post by Lauren___e

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically there are 72, although some colleges combine Disorders and Dysfunction can be combined, so many of those studies can be used to explain both. Some also skip a section out of Forensics on the basis that there will always be at least two available questions from three topics but it is risky if the topic is something you are not sure about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending