The Student Room Group

UKSF(R) experiences

Has anyone attempted it whilst at University other than Bear Grylls? If you have, what was your experiences on Uni/ Work life? How did you cope? Did you get a decent degree classification, or did it take over your life completely? Is it recommended?

Please no BS stories.
Reply 1
Hi the mezzil,

It is unlikely that anyone would want to identify themselves as UKSF on a public forum, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for a response, and any you do get are unlikely to be genuine (except this one of course :wink: )

I can tell you that the commitment to Reserves is nothing to sniff at and that the level of qualification required for SF Soldier (which I assume is to what you refer rather than support staff of signaller) is such that you would need to dedicate a significant amount of your spare time to attaining said qualifications. Passing selection is no mean feat either. I'm presuming that you've read all the literature on the UKSF(R) website ?
Reply 2
Original post by the mezzil
Has anyone attempted it whilst at University other than Bear Grylls? If you have, what was your experiences on Uni/ Work life? How did you cope? Did you get a decent degree classification, or did it take over your life completely? Is it recommended?

Please no BS stories.

What position are you currently in relation to the forces?
Reply 3
Original post by c471
What position are you currently in relation to the forces?

Officer, but I am just wondering, I'm not asking for tours of duty etc or anything confidential, I was just wondering. My unit got a visit from 23 so I was wondering if there are any students on here who have gone on.
Reply 4
Officer, but I am just wondering, I'm not asking for tours of duty etc of anything confidential, I was just wondering. My unit got a visit from 23 so I was wondering if there are any students on here who have gone on.

In...

My answer will be highly dependant on the position you hold currently. I take it you are TA?
Reply 5
Original post by Schleigg
Hi the mezzil,

It is unlikely that anyone would want to identify themselves as UKSF on a public forum, so I wouldn't hold out much hope for a response, and any you do get are unlikely to be genuine (except this one of course :wink: )

I can tell you that the commitment to Reserves is nothing to sniff at and that the level of qualification required for SF Soldier (which I assume is to what you refer rather than support staff of signaller) is such that you would need to dedicate a significant amount of your spare time to attaining said qualifications. Passing selection is no mean feat either. I'm presuming that you've read all the literature on the UKSF(R) website ?

Yes I have read a lot around it, I was just wondering if anyone has done selection whilst at uni. I'm not asking anything confidential, it was just a pure honest question.
Reply 6
Original post by c471
In...

My answer will be highly dependant on the position you hold currently. I take it you are TA?

Army Reserve:wink: as the now PC police would say. Yes, I'm purely interested if anyone has, i'm not going to message them, it was just a thought that randomly popped in my head! If anyone has attempted it that is, not in the UKSF, I understand nobody is going to be that stupid and say.
Reply 7
Army Reserve:wink: as the now PC police would say. Yes, I'm purely interested if anyone has, i'm not going to message them, it was just a thought that randomly popped in my head!

Its not an opsec issue. You can find everything about regular selection on wikipedia, normally people ask this sort of question as they musing the possibility of doing so.

The fitness is fairly demanding - you will find most would have some connection with the regs, and I suspect there is an operational tour requirement, which I doubt you have met if at university.

What will screw you is the opportunity to do the right sort of bergen work routinely, and your skills. Realistically you want to be hitting a 1 hour 30ish 10 miler (give or take 5 or 6 mins) with standard P-coy tabbing gear. Not to mention the serious distance work whilst navving on your own.

I wouldnt advise it, not to mention your face is less likely to fit with no operational or regular experience. I can smell the UOTC cum TA blokes at my uni an absolute mile off, and wouldnt trust them with live ammo.

Most who do it from no military experience will be people like bear gryhlls, litterally dragged over mountains from the day they took their first step.

Of course, feel free to attempt it. I just think it is a massive ask around a uni course, and I know regular blokes who trained for nigh on a year solid for selection, so it is a very serious commitment. Especially if you have no experience of arduous courses like P-coy or AACC.

EDITTED TO ADD: I forgot to mention that SAS(R) does not have the same level of service expected as normal reservists, and is unlikely to be sustainable whilst at university should you pass.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by c471
Its not an opsec issue. You can find everything about regular selection on wikipedia, normally people ask this sort of question as they musing the possibility of doing so.

The fitness is fairly demanding - you will find most would have some connection with the regs, and I suspect there is an operational tour requirement, which I doubt you have met if at university.

What will screw you is the opportunity to do the right sort of bergen work routinely, and your skills. Realistically you want to be hitting a 1 hour 30ish 10 miler (give or take 5 or 6 mins) with standard P-coy tabbing gear. Not to mention the serious distance work whilst navving on your own.

I wouldnt advise it, not to mention your face is less likely to fit with no operational or regular experience. I can smell the UOTC cum TA blokes at my uni an absolute mile off, and wouldnt trust them with live ammo.

Most who do it from no military experience will be people like bear gryhlls, litterally dragged over mountains from the day they took their first step.

Of course, feel free to attempt it. I just think it is a massive ask around a uni course, and I know regular blokes who trained for nigh on a year solid for selection, so it is a very serious commitment. Especially if you have no experience of arduous courses like P-coy or AACC.

Lol I'm not going to attempt it whilst at Uni! You crazy? I was asking if anyone has attempted it, not in the UKSF. The most famous example is Bear Grylls, but he passed. I was simply asking if anyone else less famous and on here as a student has. I realise the amount of strain it has on a person, which is the entire reason I asked! I was interested on the student/ work life and how they dealt with it, not tips and tricks! Please don't get the wrong idea! :wink: There is no hidden question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry if I've missed this, but are you in university? Whereabouts are you located (roughly)?
Reply 10
Original post by unruly1986
Sorry if I've missed this, but are you in university? Whereabouts are you located (roughly)?

Manchester, why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's another well known person who did it; Chris Ryan.
Reply 12
There's another well known person who did it; Chris Ryan.

Whilst at university? I dont think he did. He joined up as a boy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Lol I'm not going to attempt it whilst at Uni! You crazy? I was asking if anyone has attempted it, not in the UKSF. The most famous example is Bear Grylls, but he passed. I was simply asking if anyone else less famous and on here as a student has. I realise the amount of strain it has on a person, which is the entire reason I asked! I was interested on the student/ work life and how they dealt with it, not tips and tricks! Please don't get the wrong idea! :wink: There is no hidden question.

I suspect none will have - they service requirements for SF(R) personnel is not the same as the rest of the TA. I would be astounded if they accepted any first time round students - even bear grylls had prior military experience IRC.
Whilst at university? I dont think he did. He joined up as a boy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I seem to remember from one of his books that he joined the TA whilst at uni, got into 23, then moved over to regular SAS a while after that. The 'backdoor' route so to speak. Still nails however you do it.
Reply 15
I seem to remember from one of his books that he joined the TA whilst at uni, got into 23, then moved over to regular SAS a while after that. The 'backdoor' route so to speak. Still nails however you do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Ryan

But then again, wiki is not accurate

Quick Reply

Latest