The Student Room Group

Roughly how many lectures do you have per year?

Overall,how many lectures would you have to learn over the course of an academic year?
I have 2 lectures a week
Reply 2
Contact hours vary vastly between unis and types of courses. I have 10 hours of lectures a week, plus 4-8 hours of workshops (similar to seminars)/practicals. And I do a science course. My mum studied history and in her 3rd year had 4 contact hours a week. But we both did/do a full time course, which means you should be spending ~35-40 hours a week (including contact time) studying, which meant my mum had to do more independent work.
Reply 3
As mentioned, contact time changes with the course and the university. I know some people who are in for a couple of hours a week. Some medical students are posting that they're not finishing until 8pm or so.

In engineering I'm in for around 16 hours a week (lows of 14, highs of 18-20) depending on what's going on. That's for 12 weeks in the first semester and 12 weeks in the second semester. There may be extra contact hours (2 weeks or so) for revision before or after the Easter holiday too.

The number really shouldn't matter too much though. You'll be in to do what you need to do.
Reply 4
2 hours a week for each module
1 hour for the seminar

But the work for the seminar far outweighs anything!
Reply 5
I have 3 lectures ( 1 hour each ) and 3 seminars ( 2 hours each). I only make it to 1-2 a week though....
As a vet student we have around 15-30 hours of contact time a week. Next year I will have 9-4 lectures every day of the week, and the practical rotations in the hospitals which will be longer hours still (and include out of hours & weekends too)

It really depends on the course.
Just counting lectures, not including labs or supervisions, this year I have roughly 270 hours of lectures. I'm in third year though, and in previous years had more scheduled contact time each week, especially in first year. It also varies depending on the optional modules I've taken. Other modules spend a bit more time in lectures than the two I picked.
It's 16-22 lectures per module for me. So somewhere between 192 and 264 hours. That excludes practicals, fieldwork, tutorials and and seminars.
Reply 9
2 or 3 per week, for 24 weeks per year. So probably about 55.
I currently have:

7 hours of lectures a week (5 for 1 hour, 1 for 2 hours)
3 hours of seminars every 2 weeks
1 hour optional PASS sessions every week

So, anywhere between 8-11 hours a week. Not sure how many in an average year though. Definitely not as many as some of the other guys on here though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending