The Student Room Group

Worried About My Future.

Hello,

My name is David and I have been in education for a very long time taking a number of gap years out for personal experience. I am now 28 years old and I have never held down a full-time job and worried about my future prospects.

I am currently in my last year of Ba (Hons) Fine Art and just starting to think about my life after graduation. Even though I have never had a full-time job I have done a number of volunteering positions and part-time vacancies as a food and beverage server.

I just want to know what my options are. Basically I want to go straight into work and earn money like everyone else. I dread to sign-up to jobseekers allowance. I have already seen a Careers and Employability Advisor but this was not helpful at all. The advisor was stating from statistics that most Fine Art graduates go into retail or bar work and some are self-employed. The problem I have with work is that its very extrovert orientated and I suffer from certain social anxieties which doesn't help.

At this stage I feel kind of helpless because I am remotely clueless at my options and wondering if someone out there could shed some light!

Hope to get a reply!
Original post by willy_nilly
Hello,

My name is David and I have been in education for a very long time taking a number of gap years out for personal experience. I am now 28 years old and I have never held down a full-time job and worried about my future prospects.

I am currently in my last year of Ba (Hons) Fine Art and just starting to think about my life after graduation. Even though I have never had a full-time job I have done a number of volunteering positions and part-time vacancies as a food and beverage server.

I just want to know what my options are. Basically I want to go straight into work and earn money like everyone else. I dread to sign-up to jobseekers allowance. I have already seen a Careers and Employability Advisor but this was not helpful at all. The advisor was stating from statistics that most Fine Art graduates go into retail or bar work and some are self-employed. The problem I have with work is that its very extrovert orientated and I suffer from certain social anxieties which doesn't help.

At this stage I feel kind of helpless because I am remotely clueless at my options and wondering if someone out there could shed some light!

Hope to get a reply!

Most graduate schemes are open to all subjects and you would be eligible for these.

As for jobs related to fine art I have no idea really.

One thing I would say is that you should have some good explanations for your gaps, graduating at almost 30 without full time experience will almost definitely be asked about at interview. If you have a coherent story and can demonstrate the advantages you've gained from your experiences it should be okay though.

Quick Reply

Latest