The Student Room Group

Should weed be legal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
[QUOTE="AWJChadders;45493181"]
The cancer effect- do you actually realise it's ok in the UK to prescribe synthesised forms of chemicals found in cannabis for legitimate and proven medicinal uses.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/mar/15/cannabis-synthetic-pot-survey
I know the guardian isn't a great source but a quick google search will show you that synthetic cannabis doesn't compare at all to the real thing. There have also been deaths related to Synthetic cannabinoids within less than 50 years of use yet in 100s of years of herbal cannabis not one death has been recorded, so ask yourself, is it more logical to take prescription cannabis or herbal cannabis?

The whole 'medicinal cannabis' law thing in the USA doesn't really work, as anyone can use cannabis if they go into a hop and ask for it, and there are no controls on only doctors prescribing it.

You need to do your research. There are only 2 states with recreational use. In the rest of them you need a Medical Marijuana card prescribed by a physician. You claim it doesn't work yet I know people who use cannabis as the only pain relief that works and isn't harmful to them compared to the opiates they were on before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IMfIQ_K6U
There are 100s of ailments that cannabis can treat.

Eating cannabis does cut the risk of cancer, like taking tobacco in the form of snuff reduces cancer rates. The carcinogens aren't 'gone' suddenly if you start eating the stuff though.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer
http://www.medpagetoday.com/HematologyOncology/LungCancer/3393

The cancer myth has been thoroughly debunked. Carcinogens do not cause cancer all by themselves. Not one death linked to Marijuana in the existence of it's use. If you smoke grass there will be carcinogens. The carcinogens are created from the smoke so it's not that they are gone when used in edibles. They were created by burning carbon in the first place.
If you vaporise Cannabis the only thing you are letting off is THC and other cannabinoids. 0 cancer risk (even though there's still no proven risk from smoking it)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/
Read this study if you want to improve your understanding of carcinogens.

I'll just say one thing too- you can say that mustard gas kills cancer cells and has been shown to be a good medicine for cancer patients, which is entirely true. It doesn't mean we should self-medicate.

And why shouldn't people be allowed to self medicate. Some children with life threatening diseases in america are now prescribed cannabis because it's the only thing that works. Do you think they should just accept death or a substandard life just because the state doesn't allow it? People are allowed to self medicate their pain with paracetamol, others self medicate stress with nicotine and some people drink to be less shy so tell me why someone shouldn't be able to use an actual medicine just because some politicians with no scientific knowledge made the world's most valuable medicine illegal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by saraw26
I don't believe it should be legal. However, I'd rather see it legal and cigarettes illegal (it's affected my family so much - being the reason some of my close family have died and some are very ill now) :frown:

If cigarettes were illegal it would only create a black market meaning a rise in gang crime and a more harmful product. People won't stop taking something just because it's illegal as they will never be able to pay enough police to enforce such a law. They can't even control the current illegal drugs and the amount of illegal drug users are minuscule compared to cigarette smokers.
Why do you not think cannabis should be legal?
Original post by Gjaykay
I think it should be legal and yeah sold in shops, although I'd like it to eventually go to cafes like in Amsterdam, but I think that'll never happen due to the smoking ban.

It'd be taxed and therefore bring a massive amount of revenue. Just look at the projections for Colarado & Washington State. It reduces crime (by eliminating sketchy dealers) and reduces the cost of prosecuting weed dealers.

Although I have the theory that people would drink less if weed was legal, but I can't back that up. I also think it could help alcoholics stop drinking, once again I can't back that up, save from my own personal experience of drinking far less since weed has become more available to me.

I completely agree with what you said about drinking, once you have smoked weed you realise that it is a much better experience than heavy drinking, you feel less sick, you do not become violent, it causes no negative physical effects like drinking does...And if weed was made legal, many people would assume that it is safe (which it is if done responsibly), and try it. I think this would mean people would drink less and alcohol use would be reduced, an enormous benefit to society as it currently causes countless social problems and death through illness or overdose.
So yeah, I think it should be made legal, it is harmless compared to alcohol and tobacco. The people in charge really need to look at the effects of these legal drugs and compare them to the effects of weed.
Reply 83
Original post by saraw26

Of course I know that. Also apparently the money the government get from the tax is more than they have to pay out to treat the health effects, blah blah etc etc.

Just in a perfect world they would be illegal and people wouldn't die
from it.

I'm not that against it, I just believe it affects a person's mental state too much. I think more research should be done first and more awareness of the affects, before legalising it. Basically just a bit wary of it haha :tongue:

The mental effects are nothing more than a propoganda myth. Studies have been conducted and in adults it shows no elevated risk. Research can't be done very easily due to the Misuse of drugs act as people wanting to do studies have to pay thousands for a licence and then just sit and wait to see if they're allowed. Pharmaceutical companies do not see this as a good investment as that's what medicine is about nowadays; Profit.

If you look at mental health statistics, there is no rise in cases when there is a rise in cannabis use compared to a rise in cancer when there is tobacco use. The only mental health issue that probably has some truth to it is that if you are genetically predisposed to schizophrenia you might have an early onset triggered by cannabis. This affects less than 1 in a 1000 people and they're going to get schizophrenia at some point anyway. If it were legal and regulated these type of people would know of the risk.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by MaddyPanda
I completely agree with what you said about drinking, once you have smoked weed you realise that it is a much better experience than heavy drinking, you feel less sick, you do not become violent, it causes no negative physical effects like drinking does...And if weed was made legal, many people would assume that it is safe (which it is if done responsibly), and try it. I think this would mean people would drink less and alcohol use would be reduced, an enormous benefit to society as it currently causes countless social problems and death through illness or overdose.
So yeah, I think it should be made legal, it is harmless compared to alcohol and tobacco. The people in charge really need to look at the effects of these legal drugs and compare them to the effects of weed.

I read a rumour somewhere that the guy that convinced congress to make weed illegal back in the day apparently argued that it should be illegal because it makes women wanna shag black guys :giggle:

I find it funny that because one guy was thinking with his pecker Marijuana is still illegal today ><
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
I mean it essentially is. We've basically already decriminalised it. Our laws on it are so soft that it's pretty much not a criminal offense.
Reply 86
Original post by AWJChadders
The cancer effect- do you actually realise it's ok in the UK to prescribe synthesised forms of chemicals found in cannabis for legitimate and proven medicinal uses. The whole 'medicinal cannabis' law thing in the USA doesn't really work, as anyone can use cannabis if they go into a hop and ask for it, and there are no controls on only doctors prescribing it. Eating cannabis does cut the risk of cancer, like taking tobacco in the form of snuff reduces cancer rates. The carcinogens aren't 'gone' suddenly if you start eating the stuff though. I'll just say one thing too- you can say that mustard gas kills cancer cells and has been shown to be a good medicine for cancer patients, which is entirely true. It doesn't mean we should self-medicate.

It's called Sativex, it costs the bomb and irritates the mouth after prolonged use.

I dont have a huge problem with that. Work the system to get what shouldn't be prohibited in the first place. However if this jeopardises medical cannabis users, that is a different story.

It also contains many anti carcinogens. It's ridiculous to suggest cannabis can cause cancer in any capacity when there is no proof to suggest that. You should look at Donald Tashkin's study from 2008. Cannabis has however, proven to have cancer killing properties.

Ridiculous comparison, like comparing apples and tractors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
of course it should be legal - all drugs should be legal. we're doing perfectly fine with most likely the worst drug out there being legal (alcohol - e.g. you can die after a night of over drinking pretty easily if you're as good at drinking as I am). what business is it of mine if somebody I don't know is addicted to drugs? that's not my responsibility, that's their friends and family's responsibilities, and I don't know how one would logically or objectively suggest that it was mine. drugs and their effects are very hyped up; I used to think weed, for example, was many times more dangerous than alcohol because it was illegal, but that's the thing about making something illegal - it's deceptive to a society. making weed illegal and having alcohol legal is the sign of a fundamentally unintelligent or deceitful government. and drugs or alcohol shouldn't be taxed either, it's just a form of social engineering that defies freedom and individuality; I'm fine with a lot of substances, don't make me pretend I'm not just because other people aren't and don't charge me to stop other people from being stupid with their own bodies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by TheLoveDoctor
of course it should be legal - all drugs should be legal. we're doing perfectly fine with most likely the worst drug out there being legal (alcohol - e.g. you can die after a night of over drinking pretty easily if you're as good at drinking as I am). what business is it of mine if somebody I don't know is addicted to drugs? that's not my responsibility, that's their friends and family's responsibilities, and I don't know how one would logically or objectively suggest that it was mine. drugs and their effects are very hyped up; I used to think weed, for example, was many times more dangerous than alcohol because it was illegal, but that's the thing about making something illegal - it's deceptive to a society. making weed illegal and having alcohol legal is the sign of a fundamentally unintelligent or deceitful government. and drugs or alcohol shouldn't be taxed either, it's just a form of social engineering that defies freedom and individuality; I'm fine with a lot of substances, don't make me pretend I'm not just because other people aren't and don't charge me to stop other people from being stupid with their own bodies.

The tax is relevant because of the damage to society when it comes to alcohol. When weed is decriminalised/legalised I don't think it should be taxed though but it undoubtedly will.
Original post by HashimKF
The tax is relevant because of the damage to society when it comes to alcohol. When weed is decriminalised/legalised I don't think it should be taxed though but it undoubtedly will.

so I should pay for society's problems when I manage my drinking perfectly well? where's the justice in that? I agree with you about the weed tax reality through - they repealed the weed ban in uruguay yesterday and, who'd have thought - they're taxing it quite a bit.
Reply 90
Original post by TheLoveDoctor
so I should pay for society's problems when I manage my drinking perfectly well? where's the justice in that? I agree with you about the weed tax reality through - they repealed the weed ban in uruguay yesterday and, who'd have thought - they're taxing it quite a bit.

I don't think weed would be taxed because the legalisation will help society lol. If you don't drink much the tax is negligible. The more someone drinks the higher the chance they will be detrimental to society. That's why I think the tax works. We have the NHS which will happily treat people with liver problems from alcohol. The same goes for tobacco. I do understand what you mean as I drink a fair amount myself when I do drink but have never ended up at hospital/trouble with police and only drink every couple weeks but tbh if you don't drink that regularly do you even notice the tax?
Original post by HashimKF
I don't think weed would be taxed because the legalisation will help society lol. If you don't drink much the tax is negligible. The more someone drinks the higher the chance they will be detrimental to society. That's why I think the tax works. We have the NHS which will happily treat people with liver problems from alcohol. The same goes for tobacco. I do understand what you mean as I drink a fair amount myself when I do drink but have never ended up at hospital/trouble with police and only drink every couple weeks but tbh if you don't drink that regularly do you even notice the tax?

I drink about 2 or 3 times a week (well, I did but I have important exams coming up in january now) and I've never had any health problems and I'm not addicted, which is why I see taxing people like me to be unjust because it's blaming the wrong person. and even if these people are suffering under their alcoholism, who do they have to blame? me or themselves?
Cannabis has been linked with many long term affects, impacting mental health. I dont think it should be legal. At any rate I dont think it will do society any good to make it more mainstream than it already is. Alcohol and Tobacco are bad as it is in terms of health.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd be inclined to say no, because it could be the start of a slippery slope. You change one law and people start pushing for you to change others too.
Reply 94
Original post by blurrygirl
I'd be inclined to say no, because it could be the start of a slippery slope. You change one law and people start pushing for you to change others too.

Agreed.

Let's legalise all drugs!

Or not, let us let drug gangs operate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely. I have never seen a single valid argument for it to be prohibited.

I do love weed far too much though :colondollar:
Reply 96
Original post by DirtyHarry01
Cannabis has been linked with many long term affects, impacting mental health. I dont think it should be legal. At any rate I dont think it will do society any good to make it more mainstream than it already is. Alcohol and Tobacco are bad as it is in terms of health.

I'd love for you to point me towards a journal article/study that backs up your claims. Try and get our information from a more valid source than the daily mail.
Original post by DirtyHarry01

who's disagreeing with you? things in this world have risks. just because something is dangerous does that mean it should be banned for the public good? we could ban driving to stop people from being run over or running people over, we could ban skiing to stop people from crashing, we could ban bad tasting foods (by "bad", I mean foods that a clear majority in society don't like) - it's the same logic. it punishes responsibility and tends to ignorance. an open society wouldn't need to ban everything people don't like, and an intelligent society would be one where drugs aren't abused - but in this society I can sure tell you, banning drugs doesn't stop people from doing them
I didnt say to ban drugs, I just said that I don't agree with cannabis being legal.
Hashim has already enlightened people with most of the knowledge I wanted to charge in here to impart.

Out of the most commonly used drugs, illegal AND legal, I'd have to say cannabis has the most potential benefits. I mean, it is safer and more effective than the heroin they push in hospitals.

There's also the sheer diversity of health problems it can help tackle. Is anyone else aware of the ANTIpsychotic effects of CBD found in cannabis indica? It is truly nonsensical that the most useful plant, the biggest cash crop in the world is illegal. Old ladies with multiple sclerosis are being arrested for using it when it genuinely improves their quality of life more than prescription drugs. It's not ALL about getting high, but if it is socially acceptable to intoxicate oneself with alcohol. Why not with a safer substance...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending