The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Ask our Admissions Team

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sivlovescupcake
To which bank address should I transfer my accommodation fee? I'm in bowland. And do I get any confirmation that the university has received my tuition fee ?

Hello,

get in touch with our Colleges and accommodation team for advice on payment, similarly our tuition fee team would be happy to advise on confirmation of received payments.

Alice Harpley | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 241
Hello,

I'm an international student from Hong Kong. I am planning to deliver some of my stuffs by airmail after the arrival day. I want to know what should I write on the address? I will be in Lonsdale.

Also, when should I pay my tuition fee?

Thanks
Reply 242
Hello,

I have just been confirmed by UCAS of my place at Lancaster (it was my insurance choice). I have already applied for accomodation one month ago. I was wondering, when will I find out which is my college and the place of accomodation?

Thanks
Hello

I’m wondering what the selection process if for A100 medicine? E.g how much weighting do you put on PS/UKCAT/Scottish Highers for an interview offer?

Thank you
I'm studying english literature and creative writing, and everyone has told me not to buy any books. For those who know, should I buy any books before i get there? Likewise, am i expected to have read all of the books before going to university? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 245
Original post by Lancaster University
Welcome to the official Lancaster University Q&A thread on The Student Room.

Please post your questions here if you'd like a response from our Undergraduate or Postgraduate Admissions team. We aim to respond to all messages posted on this thread within one working day.

Hi, I got a conditional offer for mphys physics with particle physics and cosmology (a*aa) but unfortunately missed the grade requirements and got abc instead. I therefore applied for bsc computer science and mathematics through clearing and got a place.

Now upon further thinking, I realise that I really want to study physics instead so i'm thinking of taking a physics module group (phys100) as a minor in addition to my major (math100 & math110). My question is would i then be able to then change my major to physics with particle physics and cosmology in part 2 providing i do well enough in my part one modules? As i see that for this, i would need to do phys100, phys110, and phys 130 in part 1.

If that is not possible, i also gather that there's a course in theoretical physics and mathematics i could do which has modules in phys100, math100, and math110 but has phys115 instead of math105 in the first year. For this i assume i would do my 2 major module groups (maths100, maths110) and 1 minor module group (phys100) and do an additional module in phys115. The problem with this method, however, is that my credit would add up to 128 which exceeds the limit of 120. Would this be possible?

If these options are not possible i am thinking of changing my course to bsc mechanical engineering. Would this be achievable in the first week of term?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nght
Hello,

I'm an international student from Hong Kong. I am planning to deliver some of my stuffs by airmail after the arrival day. I want to know what should I write on the address? I will be in Lonsdale.

Also, when should I pay my tuition fee?

Thanks

Hello,

I advise that you get in touch with your College administrator - Juli Shorrock. Juli will be happy to advise on the best address but also collection and other details regarding airmail delivery to the College.

Lancaster University
Original post by kyra95
Hello,

I have just been confirmed by UCAS of my place at Lancaster (it was my insurance choice). I have already applied for accomodation one month ago. I was wondering, when will I find out which is my college and the place of accomodation?

Thanks

Hello,

Our Colleges and accommodation team will get in touch with you directly via email to confirm your details. If you would like to speak to them directly you can give them a quick call on 01524 594910 or via email.

Lancaster University
Original post by aspiring_dr
Hello

I’m wondering what the selection process if for A100 medicine? E.g how much weighting do you put on PS/UKCAT/Scottish Highers for an interview offer?

Thank you

Hello,

For all A100 - Medicine queries we recommend getting in touch with the academic department directly, they are the best people to advise you as they deal hands on with all applications to the course. Please feel free to get in touch via email or telephone on 01524 594547. For a quick rundown on basic requirements please check the subject information page.

Lancaster University
Original post by lovingliterature
I'm studying english literature and creative writing, and everyone has told me not to buy any books. For those who know, should I buy any books before i get there? Likewise, am i expected to have read all of the books before going to university? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Hello,

If it is necessary to have read or purchased certain texts before beginning your studies the academic should let you know of any reading lists. If you would like to check with them please get in touch with the department via email and the team would be happy to advise you.

If you would like to speak to current students and get there advice try posting in the general Lancaster forum on TSR.

Lancaster University
Original post by NealER
Hi, I got a conditional offer for mphys physics with particle physics and cosmology (a*aa) but unfortunately missed the grade requirements and got abc instead. I therefore applied for bsc computer science and mathematics through clearing and got a place.

Now upon further thinking, I realise that I really want to study physics instead so i'm thinking of taking a physics module group (phys100) as a minor in addition to my major (math100 & math110). My question is would i then be able to then change my major to physics with particle physics and cosmology in part 2 providing i do well enough in my part one modules? As i see that for this, i would need to do phys100, phys110, and phys 130 in part 1.

If that is not possible, i also gather that there's a course in theoretical physics and mathematics i could do which has modules in phys100, math100, and math110 but has phys115 instead of math105 in the first year. For this i assume i would do my 2 major module groups (maths100, maths110) and 1 minor module group (phys100) and do an additional module in phys115. The problem with this method, however, is that my credit would add up to 128 which exceeds the limit of 120. Would this be possible?

If these options are not possible i am thinking of changing my course to bsc mechanical engineering. Would this be achievable in the first week of term?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

As you mentioned there are certain prerequisite requirements in order to study certain subjects. For further advice on the possibility of switching to a Physics based course after your first year I advise speaking with the Physics department directly; You could discuss your options with them during registration week or alternatively discuss over email.

If studying Physics is not an option you could meet and discuss your options with the Engineering department in the same way, you are able to switch your course for up to the first three weeks of term.

Lancaster University
Reply 251
Hello,

As you mentioned there are certain prerequisite requirements in order to study certain subjects. For further advice on the possibility of switching to a Physics based course after your first year I advise speaking with the Physics department directly; You could discuss your options with them during registration week or alternatively discuss over email.

If studying Physics is not an option you could meet and discuss your options with the Engineering department in the same way, you are able to switch your course for up to the first three weeks of term.

Lancaster University

Thank you for your answer.

Another question, what are the requirements and time frame of changing from a Bsc/BEng to a MSc/MEng/MPhys? If my A-levels are below the masters course's requirements.
Hi,

I'm studying at Lancaster University in as an undergraduate in 2014. I am commuting everyday on the train and was wondering what buses are available from the train station to the underpass at Lancaster University. Also, could you give me a rough guide of how much it costs and when I have to buy a ticket in advance by?

Thanks.
Original post by NealER
Thank you for your answer.

Another question, what are the requirements and time frame of changing from a Bsc/BEng to a MSc/MEng/MPhys? If my A-levels are below the masters course's requirements.

All Engineering courses (BEng and MEng) have a common first year so it is easy to switch from a BEng to MEng title, it is actually possible to make the switch up until to the end of your second year of study.

Lancaster University
Original post by Tomstewart96
Hi,

I'm studying at Lancaster University in as an undergraduate in 2014. I am commuting everyday on the train and was wondering what buses are available from the train station to the underpass at Lancaster University. Also, could you give me a rough guide of how much it costs and when I have to buy a ticket in advance by?

Thanks.

A number of buses currently serve the University/Station route, the X4 during peak times and the 3A also. It is worth noting that the bus timetables and services will possibly alter so it is advisable to check the Stagecoach website for updates. Currently a return costs £2.45, if you are making this as a regular journey it is worht considering a weekly pass or alternatively the Unirider buss pass.

Lancaster University
Hi,

As I'm doing a joint honours degree course in Law and Politics, I found that my seminars for Politics clashed with my lectures for Law.
On my timetable, I am booked in for the lectures in Law, however, I am unable to book to join the seminar for my Politics modules.

Will separate seminars be arranged for students in my situation as well?

Many Thanks
A number of buses currently serve the University/Station route, the X4 during peak times and the 3A also. It is worth noting that the bus timetables and services will possibly alter so it is advisable to check the Stagecoach website for updates. Currently a return costs £2.45, if you are making this as a regular journey it is worht considering a weekly pass or alternatively the Unirider buss pass.

Lancaster University

I am commuting from preston by bus, and buying a bus pass that costs £96 for 4 weeks and is valid on any bus service in Lancashire and Cumbria; so depending on where you live there may be a bus you can get to Lancaster and then change to a bus to the uni, both of which would be covered! (My bus from preston goes direct to the underpass)
Hi, I'm not using student finance. Will there be an invoice to my Lancaster payments account for my tuition fees, like I have already received for my accommodation fees? If so, when?
Original post by Kathiye
Hi, I'm not using student finance. Will there be an invoice to my Lancaster payments account for my tuition fees, like I have already received for my accommodation fees? If so, when?

Hiii, you received an invoice for Accommodation? I'm also not using SF, but I haven't received an invoice yet?

I was told to bring Tuition fee payment with us abs pay it when we register.
Original post by GoogleMe
Hiii, you received an invoice for Accommodation? I'm also not using SF, but I haven't received an invoice yet?

I was told to bring Tuition fee payment with us abs pay it when we register.

I got mine by email. Since I got it it's appeared on here too: https://www.webpayments.lancs.ac.uk/Logon.aspx

Yeah, you can do it that way, but the website seemed to imply that you can do it online as well which would be easier for me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending